New Citizenship Bill Thursday Feb 6th

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vic48912 said:
Unfortunately i don't share the same optimism with your source, the bill will pass as swiftly as the cons wants it, they are blowing the piper with this bill as they know It's close to election year and the cons are confident the other political party wouldn't put up a fight....immigration issue is a hit with electorate. Common sense amendment to this law is with the judiciary....that's my 2 cent on it
Like I mentioned earlier this is a major overhaul, it's more than just passing a bill, there still has to be an administrative roll out. CIC has also set expectations on when they can roll out the changes, it is likely that would take approximately a year barring any contentions and amendments. If the motivation is the election year, it's tentatively scheduled for October 19th, 2015 and trust me, they the cons know they are better passing it closer to election time...it's way far out now, it would be long gone in people's memories by then.

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
I know that lots of people asked when the bill will pass.
It all depends on the government. They have the majority and they can decide.
So, for some, the good news seems to be that "the government expects the bill to pass by the end of the year"

Apparently, this was mentioned in the "Media briefing" started on Feb. 6 at 10:30 am.
I could not find the record of the "media briefing". But, I found this link on CTV and it confirms the above statement.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=288636
Listen from 1:18

I hope this is true!

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
This bill must not take effect before 2016 :mad:

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kazemsd said:
So, for some, the good news seems to be that "the government expects the bill to pass by the end of the year"

Apparently, this was mentioned in the "Media briefing" started on Feb. 6 at 10:30 am.
I could not find the record of the "media briefing". But, I found this link on CTV and it confirms the above statement.

I hope this is true!
thanks for sharing this.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MasterGeek said:
This bill must not take effect before 2016 :mad:
Wishful thinking indeed... However, it's most likely that it will be forced through this year, sooner rather than later.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Election reform bill an affront to democracy, Marc Mayrand says

http://t.news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/election-reform-bill-an-affront-to-democracy-marc-mayrand-says

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
Here is my take on this:
If your plans are to settle in Canada then these new rules shouldn't be a problem , so, what if the requirements have increased? Wouldn't you be living here anyway? Unless, people want to be citizens of convenience and leave for an indefinite period of time after becoming one then yeah I can see the problem. Regarding jobs, only a few will apply for federal public jobs which give priority to citizens.
While, I can understand people who are so close to applying feel disheartened if this becomes law, the only real difference is the right to vote.I think waiting another year or two shouldn't be that big of a deal. I fully support this.
Feel free to share your opinions on this.

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
kazemsd said:

I hope this is true!
hope this wont pass at the end of the year

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dr_majed8835 said:
Can you explain please what does it have to do with the citizinship bill. I'm not good in politics.
Absolutely nothing...

mediGOL

May 28, 2012
farrous13 said:
I don't see this new bill being any worse that what we have now.
They are trying to improve it.
Exactly , I applied on Feb 2010 and still waiting? so embarrassing???

Gol

Feb 7, 2014
The media talks about increasing the residency requirement to 4 out of 6 (currently 3 out of 4). The part which seems missing in the news is that under the proposed bill the time spent in Canada before becoming PR will not count towards citizenship requirement. So, People who lived in Canada before becoming PR will be affected twice as much.

Let me explain. Under the current law, each day spent in Canada counts as a half a day (up to 1 year) towards citizenship requirement. International students, temporary workers, and refugees are examples of this group who lived in Canada before becoming PR. If the proposed bill passes, the time spent before PR will not count towards citizenship. So, these people will see an increase in the residency requirement of 1 year (compared to the current law) as well as the elimination of their residence in Canada before becoming PR (up to 1 year). So, it means up to 2 years delays for some people, if the proposed bill passes.

Important points: 1-People who spent time in Canada before becoming PR experienced Canada, its people, nature, and heritage. It is not clear how eliminating those days and not counting them towards citizenship requirement increase their sense of belonging to Canada. 2- The situation is even more dire for some people. People who spent time in Canada before becoming PR sometimes their application for PR took up to 4 years. Imaging a person who lived in Canada for 4 years and now realizes that all his/her time before becoming PR will not count towards citizenship requirement.

guri3577 said:
Here is my take on this:
If your plans are to settle in Canada then these new rules shouldn't be a problem , so, what if the requirements have increased? Wouldn't you be living here anyway? Unless, people want to be citizens of convenience and leave for an indefinite period of time after becoming one then yeah I can see the problem. Regarding jobs, only a few will apply for federal public jobs which give priority to citizens.
While, I can understand people who are so close to applying feel disheartened if this becomes law, the only real difference is the right to vote.I think waiting another year or two shouldn't be that big of a deal. I fully support this.
Feel free to share your opinions on this.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
proudcanadian2014 said:
The media talks about increasing the residency requirement to 4 out of 6 (currently 3 out of 4). The part which seems missing in the news is that under the proposed bill the time spent in Canada before becoming PR will not count towards citizenship requirement. So, People who lived in Canada before becoming PR will be affected twice as much.

Let me explain. Under the current law, each day spent in Canada counts as a half a day (up to 1 year) towards citizenship requirement. International students, temporary workers, and refugees are examples of this group who lived in Canada before becoming PR. If the proposed bill passes, the time spent before PR will not count towards citizenship. So, these people will see an increase in the residency requirement of 1 year (compared to the current law) as well as the elimination of their residence in Canada before becoming PR (up to 1 year). So, it means up to 2 years delays for some people, if the proposed bill passes.

Important points: 1-People who spent time in Canada before becoming PR experienced Canada, its people, nature, and heritage. It is not clear how eliminating those days and not counting them towards citizenship requirement increase their sense of belonging to Canada. 2- The situation is even more dire for some people. People who spent time in Canada before becoming PR sometimes their application for PR took up to 4 years. Imaging a person who lived in Canada for 4 years and now realizes that all his/her time before becoming PR will not count towards citizenship requirement.
And that is exactly what i am talking about in the petition here:
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24#

So if you want to do something besides talking - its time to sign and bring it up to the media and MP's

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
This law for people already on a temporary visa or who recently got PR is total Bull $hit. Imagine someone studying in Canada for 3 years + one year work experience + 2 years of wait for PR grant. This makes the total time spent in Canada on temporary visas to 6 years and by virtue of this nonsense clause in the bill we add another 4 years for Citisenship. All this adds up to make the time taken to apply for Citizenship to 10 years and actually it is 11 years, if we add another year for processing of Citizenship application.

How can the time spent in Canada be ignored ?. Why doesn't Canada stop taxing this temporary category then, if their time is worth nothing in Canada ?. To ask for money, Canada is happy to consider people on temporary visas as having full tax paying status but on the other hand their time in Canada means nothing. How cheap and selfish is this ?. I know few former international students who became PR this year after studying in Canada for 3-4 years and another wait of nearly 2 years for PR grant. Believe me those guys have secured very well paying jobs and their lifestyle is just "Lavish". These guys have been paying taxes in one form or another since their day 1 in Canada and all this is worth nothing for Canada, what a shame Canada.