+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Canadian Citizen -US travel (have valid I94)

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have a tricky question and possibly some of you came across this scenario when entering usa first time with new citizenship. maybe there is a simple answer and would like to know your experience.

I got my canadian citizenship recently and am planning to travel to usa very soon. I understand an I94 is not required for canadians. However i have a valid I94 in my previous Indian passport with valid usa visit visa.

The question is - can i just return my I94 now (by mail or at pearson airport) and simply travel on cdn psprt to usa? Or do you believe the border officials ask questions about previous citizenship (especially if entering first time with new citizenship) and maybe i return the I94 at that time (it will still be valid when i travel). I can carry my previous passports as well (although i cannot technically travel on Indian passport)

Thanks

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This information may be of interest: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/752/~/i-still-have-my-i-94

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks alphazip, I read this link but doesnt specify what i need. Wondering if any new canadians entering usa first time are asked/expected to have previous passports/ usa related travel info

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
I never had this particular issue because I always returned the I-94 upon leaving the US. Sometimes there was no one in the US to return the I-94 to and I would return it to Canadian authorities as soon as I reached Canada.

No one questioned anything when I started entering the US with the Canadian passport. (But I also got Nexus, so my experience is not representative in that sense.)

Now, the issue here is that your I-94 has an expiration date, you must return it before that date. The safest possibly path is to return the I-94 following the instructions that alphazip posted. Alternatively, if you're entering the US before the expiration date, you can try to surrender the I-94 at the port of entry. However, it's probably better to avoid doing things that are out of the ordinary at the port of entry.

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks Montrealia, exactly my concern "better to avoid doing things that are out of the ordinary at the port of entry". I read somewhere folks have surrendered I94 at Pearson airport US customs area. I will probably do that and avoid unnecessary questions at port of entry during my trip. sending by mail using the link is also an option but needs more paperwork especially as I drove across, so no plane tickets etc for proof.

WindsorFeb15Aspirant

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mehtapr said:
Thanks Montrealia, exactly my concern "better to avoid doing things that are out of the ordinary at the port of entry". I read somewhere folks have surrendered I94 at Pearson airport US customs area. I will probably do that and avoid unnecessary questions at port of entry during my trip. sending by mail using the link is also an option but needs more paperwork especially as I drove across, so no place tickets etc for proof.
You can try the Pearson airport. I know one of my friend who walked in to the CBP office in Windsor and handed over the I-94 card to the officer.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
mehtapr said:
Hello everyone,

I have a tricky question and possibly some of you came across this scenario when entering usa first time with new citizenship. maybe there is a simple answer and would like to know your experience.

I got my canadian citizenship recently and am planning to travel to usa very soon. I understand an I94 is not required for canadians. However i have a valid I94 in my previous Indian passport with valid usa visit visa.

The question is - can i just return my I94 now (by mail or at pearson airport) and simply travel on cdn psprt to usa? Or do you believe the border officials ask questions about previous citizenship (especially if entering first time with new citizenship) and maybe i return the I94 at that time (it will still be valid when i travel). I can carry my previous passports as well (although i cannot technically travel on Indian passport)

Thanks
Just mail your I94 after filling out your departure info... there is an address you could mail your I94 to... I did that
long time ago after I crossed the rainbow bridge back to Canada.
Sometimes they just take the old I94 card (which remained on your passport airline forgot to take it off) when you return to the US by commercial airline, and give you another I94 if you were from India, for example.

I94 is a departure record and is not valid once you have left the US, even if the dates on the previous I94 says that it is valid.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mehtapr said:
I read somewhere folks have surrendered I94 at Pearson airport US customs area.
It's not US customs. It's Canada Border Services. I have done it a few times.
Just go to the Person Terminal 1, I think it's in the middle of the terminal at the lowest level - it has a Canadian flag above the entrance.
You can return your I-94 there. Just bring your old passport, since they may ask you to show it to them (just to verify that you are you).

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mehtapr said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks
You can return it at Pearson and save time while you cross the border.

trvpm

Dec 17, 2014
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You must travel on your Canadian passport (if you have a Nexus card, don't use the Nexus lane till you update the passport details).

Just bring the I-94 and give it to the US Border guys while crossing (tell them about you acquiring the Canadian citizenship), this is what I did.

If you did not want to cross the border, then bring the I-94 to the Canadian side (if you have a land crossing) and return to them, either works. You do not have to cross the border just to return I-94.

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
sjakub said:
It's not US customs. It's Canada Border Services. I have done it a few times.
Just go to the Person Terminal 1, I think it's in the middle of the terminal at the lowest level - it has a Canadian flag above the entrance.
You can return your I-94 there. Just bring your old passport, since they may ask you to show it to them (just to verify that you are you).
Thanks, your instructions were spot on. went there and the cbsa agent took it , no questions.