+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Urgent Help

Addie

Nov 24, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I am a conventional refugee, designated protected person in Canada. My first question that I need help with is; Can I apply for Provincial Nominee Program for Ontario under Master's graduate category as I am done with my masters and meet the eligibility criterion but I could not find whether protected persons are eligible to apply under PNP for Ontario or Not?

My Second question is, if I avail permanent residence under the PNP program for ontario, would I be allowed to get rid off my protected person status and live in Canada as I have been declared permanent resident of Ontario by virtue of my master degree and not by virtue of protected person?

As I don't want to pursue Permanent Residence by the virtue of Protected Person, I want to pursue Provincial Permanent Residence by the Virtue of my masters degree, so I can relinquish my protected person status and be eligible to visit my home country as my father is really ill.

thanks

Addie

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you can't. You're not eligible as a refugee claimant:

Refugee claimants with an application to remain in Canada that is pending are not eligible to apply for OINP. A refugee claimant whose claim has been rejected, abandoned or withdrawn must exit Canada prior to applying for OINP. Refugee claimants may only apply to OINP once they have left Canada.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS_WHO.html

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
scylla said:

Refugee claimants with an application to remain in Canada that is pending are not eligible to apply for OINP. A refugee claimant whose claim has been rejected, abandoned or withdrawn must exit Canada prior to applying for OINP. Refugee claimants may only apply to OINP once they have left Canada.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS_WHO.html
The op has Asked that can he/she apply for oinp as a convention refugee.
Refugee claimants are those who had claimed a protection and are either waiting for a decision or got rejected whereas convention refugee is one who is accepted and is now allowed to remain in Canada. So if the op has no pending case, has not been rejected, has not abandoned or withdraw his status Then how come he/she falls into your quoted category?

Addie

Nov 24, 2015
scylla said:

I am not a refugee claimant. I am an accepted refugee, designated conventional refugee/protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.