+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to increase CRS points but how?

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
For your primary occupation, you must have at least one year of continuous, full-time work (or the part-time equivalent), but other than that, you can count all SKILLED work experience in the past 10 years (NOC O, A, or B).

Note that you will have to document all work experience that you claim for points (letters of reference etc.)
Brilliant, thank you

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Erm a little, but we'll cross that bridge :p I am fully committed and obsessed about going. I can't see where they can give us extra points though when using the calculator?? He has lots of work experience. I just don't know where to put it in the equation if that makes sense?
Oops, sorry, forgot we're talking FSW - there are points for spouse work experience in Canada only .

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you, I will look in to this. I have also looked at PNP's but found them to be a minefield.
Doesn't have to be. Do you know where in Canada you want to live?

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
You probably need to give us more information that you're providing, as we can only make inferences based on what you've told us. I assume 100 of your points are coming from your age (25). From your language score, I can assume you got CLB 9 or more in all 4 language abilities, which would account for 25 of the 50 under skills transferability, so I assume the other 25 is from 1 - 2 years of foreign work experience...I therefore assume you also don't have Canadian work experience, a sibling residing in Canada, post-secondary education in Canada, or a valid arranged employment.

If the above assumptions are correct (and that's a big if :) ) you really only have a few options:
  • Wait another year to get more years of experience - this will bump you up 25 more points (assuming the CRS Calculation matrix doesn't change before then); or you could wait 2 years and finish your Master's, then you'd max out skills transferability AND get 14 more points for Education (so 64 more points), but this still won't get you over the 400-point threshold let alone to current ITA cut-off scores...
  • Get a provincial nomination (you don't have enough points for OINP, and I'm pretty sure it's currently on hold anyway, but there are other provinces that might be interested - what's your NOC?)
  • Your "spouse points" seem a bit low (I assume the points are from a high school diploma credential...) Has he/she not taken IELTS/CELPIP? If he/she did, but got CLB 4 or lower, you could have him/her retake the test to see if you can get more points from this. He/she could also complete a 1-year educational programme to increase the spouse score in that way as well. Another option would be to apply as a single applicant (your score on your own should, overall, be higher) and then, if you get PR, apply for spouse sponsorship, although this can take 12 months and would require you being apart for that long or even slightly longer... :(

Provincial Nomination seems like your best bet...
I am 42, I gained reading 8.5, writing 7.0, Speaking 8.5 and listening 8.0 on the IELTS, I have a bachelor degree, evaluated by WES both of these were achieved within the last three months. I will have completed my masters in 2019 but by then my IETLS will have run out!
My husband will come to Canada, is not keen though and will not pay to do the test or improve his education so that is a rule out.

Thank you all for your help!

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Erm a little, but we'll cross that bridge :p I am fully committed and obsessed about going. I can't see where they can give us extra points though when using the calculator?? He has lots of work experience. I just don't know where to put it in the equation if that makes sense?
Thank you.
Only Canadian work experience counts for spouses if I remember correctly...you won't get any points for a spouse's foreign work experience...Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
Only Canadian work experience counts for spouses if I remember correctly...you won't get any points for a spouse's foreign work experience...Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...
I think you're right. The NOC I wanted to apply with is 2224 but I have a lot of 1221 experience which is administration. I have checked lots of PNP's and couldn't really find anything. I have also applied for lots of jobs but deep down I know it probably won't get me anywhere.

Thanks again.

Yuvraj Singh

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24-10-2018
You can count that work experience for CRS points as long as it is skilled (NOC 0, A or B) even if it's not your primary NOC.

Edit: I thought you were 25 but I realize now that those are the points you get : P
@DelPiero07 can you verify this as i too have similar case i have 2+ yrs in one noc and 1+ yr in another noc although both of them are related to same arena (i.e accounting and audit) , where former demands CA as eligibility latter demands graduation. I just want to know if this would create any trouble post ITA , when CIC verifies my documentation i file with them.

TIA

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@DelPiero07 can you verify this as i too have similar case i have 2+ yrs in one noc and 1+ yr in another noc although both of them are related to same arena (i.e accounting and audit) , where former demands CA as eligibility latter demands graduation. I just want to know if this would create any trouble post ITA , when CIC verifies my documentation i file with them.

TIA
1 - Like I said, after meeting the eligibility criteria you can claim points for other NOC's as long as they are 0, A or B.
2 - Forget about employment requirements, you do not have to demonstrate you fulfill them. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp

Yuvraj Singh

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24-10-2018
1 - Like I said, after meeting the eligibility criteria you can claim points for other NOC's as long as they are 0, A or B.
2 - Forget about employment requirements, you do not have to demonstrate you fulfill them. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp
Okay thanks...one more question...can I claim my paid internship as wok experience, as in CA you have to work for 3 years (earlier it was 3.5 yrs which is in my case) as intern with a firm or a practising CA, after which only you are eligible to appear for final exams of CA. I can substantiate payments via bank statements of that period...TIA :)