+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to increase CRS points but how?

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
Hey guys,

Could any of you experts have a look at my stats and offer nay advice please?

I thought the option to give me enough points for EE would be a job offer but have been told that I am not likely to get an offer until I have PR.

My current CRS is:

Core/human capital factors Age: 25, Level of education: 112, Language: 122 = 259
Spouse factors: 2
Skills transferability: 50

Total = 311

I cannot take undertake French as a second language as it will take too long and is too difficult for me. I have two years left of my masters and that won't give me many extra points.

Any other options?

Many thanks,

Jo

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1- Get CLB 9 in all IETLS sections.
2 - Get your spouse's educational credentials assessed and have him/her get CLB 9 in all IETLS section.
3 - Apply alone to improve your score and sponsor your spouse after you become a PR.

Reactions: JoD75

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey guys,

I thought the option to give me enough points for EE would be a job offer but have been told that I am not likely to get an offer until I have PR.

My current CRS is:

Core/human capital factors Age: 25, Level of education: 112, Language: 122 = 259

Total = 311

I cannot take undertake French as a second language as it will take too long and is too difficult for me. I have two years left of my masters and that won't give me many extra points.

Any other options?

Many thanks,

Jo
Spouse has no skilled work experience? How about language skills?

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
2 - Get your spouse's educational credentials assessed and have him/her get CLB 9 in all IETLS section.
3 - Apply alone to improve your score and sponsor your spouse after you become a PR.
Thank you, I will look in to this. I have also looked at PNP's but found them to be a minefield.

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
328 score without my husband

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With CLB 9 in all IETLS sections, 3 years of foreign work experience and having your spouse as non-accompanying your score should easily be above 400.

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
With CLB 9 in all IETLS sections, 3 years of foreign work experience and having your spouse as non-accompanying your score should easily be above 400.
I only have 2 years in the specific NOC code that I want to apply with, I have lots of work experience but it is not all related, it's in different fields. Will they penalise me for this?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can count that work experience for CRS points as long as it is skilled (NOC 0, A or B) even if it's not your primary NOC.

Edit: I thought you were 25 but I realize now that those are the points you get : P

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Nope, he is reluctant to pay for the test and has only secondary school qualifications
Is he reluctant to move to Canada?

Secondary school qualifications does not necessarily exclude him from having skilled work experience. NOC level O, A or B jobs all count.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hey guys,

My current CRS is:

Total = 311

Any other options?

Many thanks,

Jo

You probably need to give us more information that you're providing, as we can only make inferences based on what you've told us. I assume 100 of your points are coming from your age (25). From your language score, I can assume you got CLB 9 or more in all 4 language abilities, which would account for 25 of the 50 under skills transferability, so I assume the other 25 is from 1 - 2 years of foreign work experience...I therefore assume you also don't have Canadian work experience, a sibling residing in Canada, post-secondary education in Canada, or a valid arranged employment.

If the above assumptions are correct (and that's a big if :) ) you really only have a few options:
  • Wait another year to get more years of experience - this will bump you up 25 more points (assuming the CRS Calculation matrix doesn't change before then); or you could wait 2 years and finish your Master's, then you'd max out skills transferability AND get 14 more points for Education (so 64 more points), but this still won't get you over the 400-point threshold let alone to current ITA cut-off scores...
  • Get a provincial nomination (you don't have enough points for OINP, and I'm pretty sure it's currently on hold anyway, but there are other provinces that might be interested - what's your NOC?)
  • Your "spouse points" seem a bit low (I assume the points are from a high school diploma credential...) Has he/she not taken IELTS/CELPIP? If he/she did, but got CLB 4 or lower, you could have him/her retake the test to see if you can get more points from this. He/she could also complete a 1-year educational programme to increase the spouse score in that way as well. Another option would be to apply as a single applicant (your score on your own should, overall, be higher) and then, if you get PR, apply for spouse sponsorship, although this can take 12 months and would require you being apart for that long or even slightly longer... :(

Provincial Nomination seems like your best bet...

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
You can count that work experience for CRS points as long as it is skilled (NOC 0, A or B) even if it's not your primary NOC.

Edit: I thought you were 25 but I realize now that those are the points you get : P
Haha I wish I was 25, everything would be so much better :) everything!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I only have 2 years in the specific NOC code that I want to apply with, I have lots of work experience but it is not all related, it's in different fields. Will they penalise me for this?
For your primary occupation, you must have at least one year of continuous, full-time work (or the part-time equivalent), but other than that, you can count all SKILLED work experience in the past 10 years (NOC O, A, or B).

Note that you will have to document all work experience that you claim for points (letters of reference etc.)

JoD75

Jan 30, 2017
Is he reluctant to move to Canada?

Secondary school qualifications does not necessarily exclude him from having skilled work experience. NOC level O, A or B jobs all count.
Erm a little, but we'll cross that bridge :p I am fully committed and obsessed about going. I can't see where they can give us extra points though when using the calculator?? He has lots of work experience. I just don't know where to put it in the equation if that makes sense?
Thank you.