+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need more info about approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Hi All

I am currently in Canada on a work permit (intra-company transfer) and planning to apply for PR under the CEC. While checking the CIC website I came to know that I am eligible for an open WP once I am approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada.

Can you please let me know how long it takes to receive an approval in principle once the PR application is placed and how soon or late is that compared to the entire PR process?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kaytea

Star Member
Jan 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
AOR Received.
14-05-2013
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
LANDED..........
19-01-2014
what do you mean by "approved in principle"?

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Even I have no idea about "Approved in Principle" - this is a term I came across in the CIC website. Maybe the experts will be able to throw some light on this.

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leothelion123 said:
Hi All

I am currently in Canada on a work permit (intra-company transfer) and planning to apply for PR under the CEC. While checking the CIC website I came to know that I am eligible for an open WP once I am approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada.

Can you please let me know how long it takes to receive an approval in principle once the PR application is placed and how soon or late is that compared to the entire PR process?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
There are only two ways of getting open work permit.

1.when you graduate from a qualified college/ university programs that meets requirements

2. When you have already received AOR (Acknowledgement of receipt) after you apply for permanent residency and your work permit is going to expire in 4 months.. Then you can apply for Bridging open work permit(BOWP)..

Never heard of APPROVED IN PRINCIPLE....can you paste the link where you have read about it.

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Hi Honey

Many thanks for your reply. This is what I saw in step 3 of the online assessment in CIC website:

Have you been told by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?

That's all the information I have.

Also is it possible to apply for Open WP before the 4 months to expire time frame of my current work permit? My current work permit is a closed one so I am looking forward for an OWP as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your help.

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leothelion123 said:
Hi Honey

Many thanks for your reply. This is what I saw in step 3 of the online assessment in CIC website:

Have you been told by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?

I can't answer this ....as never heard of it

Also is it possible to apply for Open WP before the 4 months to expire time frame of my current work permit? My current work permit is a closed one so I am looking forward for an OWP as soon as possible.

Yes, but if you have already applied for PR and received AOR.. Then you can apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
leothelion123 said:
Hi Honey

Approval in Principle only applies if you were sponsored through family class using the inland application process by your spouse or common law partner who is ALREADY either a PR or citizen of Canada. If you are not being sponsored by your Canadian PR/citizen spouse or common law partner - AIP does not apply to you.

Reactions: tranglou543

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Hi Honey
What happens to my current valid (closed) work permit once the open WP is issued? I would like to continue with my current employer before I find any alternative - will there be any complication with the open WP?

Do I need to provide the LMO number to apply for the same? I can see that field in the application form. My current WP falls in the LMO exempt category.

Also my visa is expiring on 31st July 2014 - do I need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa?

Hi Scylla

I found out from some links that for CEC the approved in principle for permanent residence is same as AOR. Please refer the following link which mentions this:
CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

b.h.a.b.e.s

Star Member
Mar 27, 2010
Hi leo
i also read about that phrase "approved in principle" and that time after i received my AOR i was thinking if i should apply for open work permit but since the processing is new for CIC I was in doubt. If you are still in good working relationship with your employer better to stay put. There were some applicants who received the BOWP which will expire after 6 months.

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Hi Bhabes

The truth is I am not in a very good relationship with my employer and am eagerly looking to shift once I receive an open work permit - which I can't do now as I am in a closed WP.

Does the existing closed WP gets cancelled once the open WP is issued?

Thanks

b.h.a.b.e.s

Star Member
Mar 27, 2010
Hi leo
It means you havent submitted your application for CEC yet and you have 4 months remaining for your work permit?
Say for example your submit it in July in 2 to 3 weeks time you are going to have your AOR and then you can apply for your open work permit but you should write all the necessary code
Validation Exemption Code: C-10;
NOC: 9999000
Intended Occupation: Open
Case Type: 27 – Under examination

I checked the processing times and its 30 days processing. Hopefully you can make it in time just make sure when you submit all your papers everything is A ok so they wont return it back to you. Dont worry i was on the same case and studying the same thing because my son wont be my dependent anymore so I am planning to apply him for BOWP.
And my advise is better to read CEC manuals and BOWP manuals than asking advices for people who just believe to what they heard.

Usver

Dec 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 26 2012
Doc's Request.
Aug 29 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 25 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
July 11 2013
Med's Done....
july 12 2013
Passport Req..
August 23 2013
VISA ISSUED...
September 12 2013
LANDED..........
September 24 2013
hello forum users: this is the response that I got from a call center agent at CIC in a e-mail:
"*Approved in principle means that you received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or the local office stating that you are eligible to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background verifications for you and, if applicable, your family members. "

Reactions: Sanjamarora

kaytea

Star Member
Jan 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
AOR Received.
14-05-2013
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
LANDED..........
19-01-2014
so in other words, you have to get an AOR after you applied for CEC, in order to apply for BOWP.
Makes sense.

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Hi Bhabes

When I will place the application for OWP I will have around 9 months left on my current Closed WP. Will I still receive a 1 year OWP?

The other things I wanted to know are:

What happens to my current valid (closed) work permit once the open WP is issued? I would like to continue with my current employer before I find any alternative - will there be any complication with the open WP?

Do I need to provide the LMO number to apply for the same? I can see that field in the application form. My current WP falls in the LMO exempt category.

Also my visa is expiring on 31st July 2014 - do I need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa?