+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help in this matter

Luckyppl

Star Member
Apr 3, 2021
Hi
I have a question regarding new born child
If the parents have PR cards only and they go back to their home country and give child birth their , will the baby automatically get PR status or not ?
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
If the parents have PR cards only and they go back to their home country and give child birth their , will the baby automatically get PR status or not ?
Thanks
As said above, no - PR will not be automatic. At least one of the parents will need to return to Canada and then sponsor the child for PR from Canada.

Reactions: Luckyppl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
Thanks
If you are protected people you can’t return to your home country as PRs.

Reactions: Luckyppl

ruhgyu

Jan 31, 2022
Hi,

I am PR, I applied through refugee process. I was recently informed my citizenship application of a third country(not my country of origin, not Canada) was approved and I need to come and receive it. I lived in this third country for few years before I came to Canada and sought asylum. During my stay I did send citizenship application through some special program but the chances were very low and I thought it would never work, and came to Canada the moment I had.

But now after 5years, when I completely forgot about it, they approved it somehow.

My question is, me getting this citizenship while being a “refugee PR” affect my PR or canada citizenship process later?

I know I am supposed to say in my pr application if I have any residency elsewhere and I said no, because when I did my PR application I did not have residency or news of becoming citizen of that third country.

Should report it to Canadian government?

I am aware of the 3 year during 5 year rule. Is there a strict rule of PR to not get citizenship of other countries while being PR in Canada?

If you guys can, please let me know of any other threads who can help me here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am PR, I applied through refugee process. I was recently informed my citizenship application of a third country(not my country of origin, not Canada) was approved and I need to come and receive it. I lived in this third country for few years before I came to Canada and sought asylum. During my stay I did send citizenship application through some special program but the chances were very low and I thought it would never work, and came to Canada the moment I had.

But now after 5years, when I completely forgot about it, they approved it somehow.

My question is, me getting this citizenship while being a “refugee PR” affect my PR or canada citizenship process later?

I know I am supposed to say in my pr application if I have any residency elsewhere and I said no, because when I did my PR application I did not have residency or news of becoming citizen of that third country.

I am aware of the 3 year during 5 year rule. Is there a strict rule of PR to not get citizenship of other countries while being PR in Canada?

Yes you should report this to Canada since this application should have been revealed as part of any applications to Canada. Your ability to live in another country and your attempt to get status in another country would be considered as part of your applications in Canada.

Bryanpaz

Star Member
Mar 3, 2023
Hi,

Read this
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/vacation.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Canada shares immigration information with many others so that you obtained citizenship from the country you were living in before you came to Canada has a high chance of coming up in something like a Canadian citizenship application. Consult a lawyer and be honest with IRCC is usually the best policy. They tend to be more forgiving if you are admitting something versus being caught. Obtaining another citizenship isn’t the big deal it is that you applied before coming to Canada and didn’t mention it during your asylum claim.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,

Regarding first question, acquiring citizen of other country while you are PR-PP, see below reference

12.5.5. Paragraph 108(1)(c) - Acquisition of a new nationality
Paragraph 108(1)(c) provides, in effect, that a person’s refugee protection ceases if they acquire a new nationality and enjoy the protection of that nationality.

Only one Canadian court decision has considered this provision. In Khalifa,Note 76 the RPD had granted the claimant, a citizen of Egypt, refugee status in 2004. He was granted United States citizenship in 2012. The Minister filed an application to cease refugee protection, arguing that both paragraphs 108(1)(a) and (c) applied. The RPD allowed the application under paragraph 108(1)(c).

The protected person raised several arguments on judicial review regarding abuse of process and the RPD’s jurisdiction, which are discussed more fully below; however, with respect to the RPD’s conclusion on paragraph 108(1)(c), the Court stated:

[49] It is also reasonable that Parliament would terminate the privileged status of an applicant who no longer needs the protection of Canada because he has obtained citizenship in another safe country prior to becoming a citizen of Canada. Mr. Khalifa is now, by choice, a U.S. citizen who enjoys the protection of another country, and thus no longer needs protection from Canada. It is not the intention of refugee protection legislation under the IRPA that Canada become a country of convenience for those who wish to acquire protection in any number of countries. This determination is entirely independent of a determination that the reasons for refugee protection no longer exist in his country of origin

Reactions: canuck78