+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need clarity on asylum Proceedings

Ebukaorie

Apr 1, 2024
my family has been under heavy threat to lives back in Nigeria and we have been running from anyone who know or has ties to our community as my mum and dad are being accused of breaking traditional rules and the penalty is death under fetish reasons.

i have been threatened to provide our whereabouts and my siblings were also threatened thus we had to flee and we were attacked at our home in a new location we ran to and we reported to the police but nothing was done.

we had to quickly put money together and run to canada on a temporary visa.

my mum is making an asylum claim and all her children are above 18 years of age. do we all have to individually make a claim or her claim covers ours.

also on financial grounds, we left behind our elder brother who is still laying low and in hiding at the moment, how does our claim cover him also.

i just need clarity on these things as it's a new thing to me.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
my family has been under heavy threat to lives back in Nigeria and we have been running from anyone who know or has ties to our community as my mum and dad are being accused of breaking traditional rules and the penalty is death under fetish reasons.

i have been threatened to provide our whereabouts and my siblings were also threatened thus we had to flee and we were attacked at our home in a new location we ran to and we reported to the police but nothing was done.

we had to quickly put money together and run to canada on a temporary visa.

my mum is making an asylum claim and all her children are above 18 years of age. do we all have to individually make a claim or her claim covers ours.

also on financial grounds, we left behind our elder brother who is still laying low and in hiding at the moment, how does our claim cover him also.

i just need clarity on these things as it's a new thing to me.
Since you are above 18yrs old, you no longer minor, It will be a separate claim for each incl your mother. there's a possible for Minister to request joint hearing (Something you dont wish to happen) or that may not happen. Your claim will not cover your brother, only if he is under 21 at the time of filing a claim, then he can be dependant child from your mother's claim.

Reactions: Naturgrl

SpiritualWonderWomen

Star Member
Mar 16, 2022
Since you are above 18yrs old, you no longer minor, It will be a separate claim for each incl your mother. there's a possible for Minister to request joint hearing (Something you dont wish to happen) or that may not happen. Your claim will not cover your brother, only if he is under 21 at the time of filing a claim, then he can be dependant child from your mother's claim.
What will happen if the hearing is joined together ?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
What will happen if the hearing is joined together ?
They will poke each and every hole to test for integrity. You are not allowed to respond to a question that was not directed to you but you are there.... Its not one vs one, its member and minister delegate throwing same or different questions to different claimant at the same time, expect there'll be inconsistencies.

SpiritualWonderWomen

Star Member
Mar 16, 2022
They will poke each and every hole to test for integrity. You are not allowed to respond to a question that was not directed to you but you are there.... Its not one vs one, its member and minister delegate throwing same or different questions to different claimant at the same time, expect there'll be inconsistencies.
So the member will not speak only to the Principal claimant ? What if there is no intervention but the claim is heard jointly by member of RPD only ? Is he or she going to ask all claimants ?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
So the member will not speak only to the Principal claimant ? What if there is no intervention but the claim is heard jointly by member of RPD only ? Is he or she going to ask all claimants ?
Assuming everyone in that situation are all principal claimant (18yrs and above at the time claim is referred to IRB), yes they will ask anyone

Ebukaorie

Apr 1, 2024
Thanks for your reply Simba112,
does this mean we have to fill individual BOC forms and submit to the immigration office seperately.
based on this statement {there's a possible for Minister to request joint hearing (Something you dont wish to happen) or that may not happen}, could we do submission as individuals with no relation to each other so as to avoid the joint hearing?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for your reply Simba112,
does this mean we have to fill individual BOC forms and submit to the immigration office seperately.
based on this statement {there's a possible for Minister to request joint hearing (Something you dont wish to happen) or that may not happen}, could we do submission as individuals with no relation to each other so as to avoid the joint hearing?
No. You need to submit as individual by indicating relationship as asked on schedule A or IMM008. You cant lie about relationship, gcms notes will pick information from your visitor visa application

Ebukaorie

Apr 1, 2024
okay, thank you simba112.
one more thing, i also have faced my fair share of dicrimination and violence in nigeria due to my sexual identity. personally, this asylum was an escape for me on two fronts but this applies to just me and one of my brothers.

does my mum need to also add this information in her BOC seeing it's me and my brother's personal experience?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
okay, thank you simba112.
one more thing, i also have faced my fair share of dicrimination and violence in nigeria due to my sexual identity. personally, this asylum was an escape for me on two fronts but this applies to just me and one of my brothers.

does my mum need to also add this information in her BOC seeing it's me and my brother's personal experience?
Everyone will have separate BOC particular to one's each situation.

Reactions: hotminaj