+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need a temp working visa before applying for PR

adelek

Aug 11, 2019
Hi! I am currently on an IEC 2 year working holiday visa which runs out Jan 2020 and I want to apply for Permanent Residency. I believe that the only PR streams I would be eligible for are express entry or provincial nomination. However you need 1 years continuous employment in Canada for express entry and 9 months for provincial nomination. I won't have 9 months worth until Feb 2020 - the month after my current visa runs out. Apparently it is not possible to extend the IEC visa, so I am looking for a temporary working visa which will enable me to continue living and working in Canada until I can apply for PR in Feb. The only temp working visa I can find on Canada.ca says I can only apply for it AFTER putting in my application for PR. But I need cover for the month between my IEC running out (Jan) and me having racked up enough work exp (Feb) to make me eligible to apply for PR. Has anybody been in a similar situation or know of a temp working visa I can apply for?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! I am currently on an IEC 2 year working holiday visa which runs out Jan 2020 and I want to apply for Permanent Residency. I believe that the only PR streams I would be eligible for are express entry or provincial nomination. However you need 1 years continuous employment in Canada for express entry and 9 months for provincial nomination. I won't have 9 months worth until Feb 2020 - the month after my current visa runs out. Apparently it is not possible to extend the IEC visa, so I am looking for a temporary working visa which will enable me to continue living and working in Canada until I can apply for PR in Feb. The only temp working visa I can find on Canada.ca says I can only apply for it AFTER putting in my application for PR. But I need cover for the month between my IEC running out (Jan) and me having racked up enough work exp (Feb) to make me eligible to apply for PR. Has anybody been in a similar situation or know of a temp working visa I can apply for?
Correct - IECs cannot be extended.

Do you qualify for a second IEC? Depending on your country of origin, that might be an option.

Otherwise your only option is likely to have your employer obtain an approved LMIA so that you can swtich to a closed work permit.