+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nature of Job conflict with 'Continuous Work Experience' clause

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Hi Fellas,

I received my ITA last month & most of my documents are ready now including PCC, Medical, Experience Letter etc.

But I am in big catch because of nature of my job. I am in Merchant Navy where I work for few months onboard ship and few months off. And FSW eligibility requirements says - one must have minimum 1 year of CONTINUOUS work experience.

Please suggest ways, or how should I take it forward?

Thanks in beforehand.

I have written the following email to IRCC & NDVO, a month ago.. but no reply so far.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Day,

I am working as a Deck Officer (NOC 2273) onboard merchant ships sailing worldwide.
I have duly filled my PR application but have not submitted it yet, due to a concern raised by a definition in the following link:-

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-75.html
The R75(2)(a) in above link states that A foreign national is a skilled worker if he/she has accumulated, over a continuous period, at least one year of full-time work experience.

The nature of my job and the industry standards are as following-
A) I work onboard ships at sea for few months continuously at a stretch and then receive an equal number of holidays.
B) When I am onboard, I work every day, both in the daytime as well as in the nighttime, in the shifts of 5/6 hours each, for 7-days a week; amounting to minimum 70 hours per week.
C) Essentially, in a year, I work for more than 6 months (26 weeks) cumulatively, which amounts to minimum 1820 work-hours per year. And get paid for sea-service days only.
D) I have been working continuously since June 2010 (almost 7 years in total) in the same profession, but my total sea-service has been around 43 months (3.5 years) because of the rotational crewing system mentioned above.

As I see it - it is a continuous work but of different nature. But I remain confused, whether visa officer would interpret it as a continuous or non-continuous work experience?
I have searched extensively on CIC website and could not find any clarification over a profession like this.

My kind query is that - would I be qualified under FSW programme or not, citing my different nature of work & the clause of 'over a continuous period' above?

Anticipating to hear positively from you,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: divyang9652

hopefuldude

Jun 3, 2017
Category........
FSW
yeah i kinda have such a problem as well.. i think we can start our work experience from the time we started to work and for example i have a break for a year for my masters degree where i was still paid by my workplace... i am not gonna include it in my work experience however i will mention it with a LOE, and i have a 4 position change in 5 years of work experience in the same company so i am gonna include them all with the same NOC but different with titles, i think also the important thing is NOC and the work time; so in my opinion you should start from 2010 until today and explain it with an LOE.. but still we need comments by other experienced guys over here...

divyang9652

Jun 30, 2017
Hello all here
I am also a new applicant with nascent stage in application. I am also confused on this work experience calculation if it is calulated hourly or continuous 1 yr also translates to vacations in our case as we work full 6 months?
emails are everyday routine but no replies as yet from transport canada

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Hi Divyang,

The hourly (be it weekly or yearly) calculation is simply to measure Full-time vs Part-time Jobs. It has got nothing to do with the Continuous work clause. And many people (including regulated consultants) are not aware of it because their understanding of seafaring jobs is limited.

Your vacations will only include into your work experience, if you are on a permanent payroll or employment with a shipping company. Working on a contractual basis in Merchant Navy may not fetch you a continuous work experience, as vacations are not paid and you're not employed.

However, if you can secure an experience letter from your employer that you are a full-time employee and working with them since so & so date. Things can work out for you.

Cheers for your application. (Hit Like, if you find it useful)

gsohi2011

May 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-08-2017
AOR Received.
30-08-2017
File Transfer...
27-10-2017
Passport Req..
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
01-04-2018
I am have too received ITA for Deck Officer and I am facing the same problem for work experience.Kindly advise finally how did you make your reference letter.I have shown just one year of experience, during that year i had three months of leave between two 6 months contract. I donot understand now should i mention this leave period in the reference letter.Kindly advise?

Reactions: Aaron Izyan

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
I am have too received ITA for Deck Officer and I am facing the same problem for work experience.Kindly advise finally how did you make your reference letter.I have shown just one year of experience, during that year i had three months of leave between two 6 months contract. I donot understand now should i mention this leave period in the reference letter.Kindly advise?
Hi gsohi2011,

Seems like you are doing it in a not-so-right way. Exclude the leave from your reference letter.

You can refer this below link of another post, I replied to another gentleman there (similar to above concern of yours) -

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/deck-officers-water-transport-noc-2273.488195/page-2#post-6161880

(Hit Like, if you find it useful)