National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Hi. I'm a Nurse from the Philippines.
-Graduated april 2018
-Took and passed the Licensure exam June 2018
-No paid experience yet
-Going to register to NNAS.

I was just wondering, given that I do not have any paid experience yet... Will I be advised by the NNAS to study again in a canadian institution? Usually what are the subjects and for how long would I be studying again? :( Hoping for your kindest response.
NNAS does not consider whether you have nursing work experience or not. They are ONLY responsible for evaluating your education. Experience doesn't factor in at all. NNAS will likely evaluate your nursing education and deem you "non-comparable" to Canadian nursing education. Then you will apply to the licensing body in whichever province you want to work in. That licensing body will tell you what you need to do next. Likely they will ask you to do an OSCE exam or provide information on your working experience. At this stage, this is when experience matters. So if I were you what I would do is apply to NNAS now, and in the meantime (because it can take up to one year to hear back from them), I would get a job as a nurse and gain experience. This will help you later when the licensing body asks for proof of experience. If you are a good nurse and you have experience, it might be possible to provide information on your nursing work experience and do an exam or two, rather than starting at the beginning at a Canadian university. If you have to start from the beginning, the BScN is 4 years and costly. So do your best to improve your chances by gaining some solid nursing experience. The OSCE exam will test how good of a nurse you are and how good you are with your patients so make sure you really take your job to heart--don't just get a job so that you can claim you have experience. It won't be enough if you don't gain real skills in the workplace. Personally I would not attempt to become a nurse in Canada without experience in the place where I was originally educated. You have to do everything possible to increase your chances or you will waste time and become discouraged.

Reactions: Teddy black

Teddy black

Dec 27, 2018
Hello guys I need help to apply for Canada work visa? I am a clinical nurse here in Ethiopia, any one who have idea where I have to start

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Here is the personal account of candidate after failing OSCE and getting admitted in George Brown College Academic Pathway.

1. Tried in York University but unsuccessful. Went to the university and asked the reason. Their all admitted students have Grade A or above. There is no one below it. I was grade B so I have no chance.

2. Went to Ryerson University, who have Post diploma nursing program and they admit George Brown College Academic Pathway of nursing certificate holders. They said make sure you have GPA of minimum 3.3 in that George Brown certificate in order to get admitted as admission is quite competitive.

3. Went to University of Toronto. They accept 200 student every year from 2,000 applications. They have 2 years program. IENs can apply over there as well.

Getting admission in a regular 3/4 year BSN should not be taken lightly as well. These all have competitive admission. Most of them clearly write that you should not be RN. So your admission will be based on your 12 year of schooling result.Moment you tell you tell them you were RN, you will be disqualified. Call them and ask them what was the last intake grade cut off. Match it with yours. If your grade is less then count yourself as unsuccessful applicant.

To sum up, be prepared !!!

Reactions: RN_0001

Dothraki

Dec 19, 2018
Hi Guys,
My wife has started the NNAS Process and following are the details.
1. Bachelors - Bachelors of Science in Nursing - Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore India
2. Masters - Masters in Arts in Nursing - University of Philippines Open University, Los Banos, Philippines

She is also a Certified Lactation Consultant after passing the exam from International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners.

We have applied to CNO and planning to also apply for PEI and BC. What are your suggestions on this?

As per WES report she has got Masters Equivalency.
What are the chances that this would be considered as "Non-Comparable" according to NNAS. Anyone sailing on the same Boat?

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Hi Guys,
My wife has started the NNAS Process and following are the details.
1. Bachelors - Bachelors of Science in Nursing - Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore India
2. Masters - Masters in Arts in Nursing - University of Philippines Open University, Los Banos, Philippines

She is also a Certified Lactation Consultant after passing the exam from International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners.

We have applied to CNO and planning to also apply for PEI and BC. What are your suggestions on this?

As per WES report she has got Masters Equivalency.
What are the chances that this would be considered as "Non-Comparable" according to NNAS. Anyone sailing on the same Boat?
Unfortunately, it is more likely that her education will be deemed "non-comparable". I've heard of a few nurses who were educated (Bachelors) in Philippines who were deemed "somewhat comparable", but there are very few. The NNAS process will likely take longer since she is well educated but that's how NNAS is....slow....

Dothraki

Dec 19, 2018
Unfortunately, it is more likely that her education will be deemed "non-comparable". I've heard of a few nurses who were educated (Bachelors) in Philippines who were deemed "somewhat comparable", but there are very few. The NNAS process will likely take longer since she is well educated but that's how NNAS is....slow....
Thank you for the feedback. She has done Bachelors in India Then Masters in Philippines. I have heard that if the College/University send the complete and proper details of the Syllabus as below it becomes comparable. If it become non-comparable its the universitys fault as they have not sent the complete details

Official transcript of this applicant's nursing education: This is the official document or record of this applicant's enrollment, progress and achievement within your education institution. The transcript should identify courses taken (title and course number), credits and grades achieved, and credentials earned;
Nursing education program curriculum: a written description of this applicant's program of study and its individual courses. This can be included digitally (USB drive, CD, etc.);
Nursing education syllabus for each course: an extremely detailed outline and summary of the topics covered in each course, including course objectives, learning outcomes and hours of study. Include any document that would provide supplemental detail to what was taught in your Nursing Program.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Thank you for the feedback. She has done Bachelors in India Then Masters in Philippines. I have heard that if the College/University send the complete and proper details of the Syllabus as below it becomes comparable. If it become non-comparable its the universitys fault as they have not sent the complete details

Official transcript of this applicant's nursing education: This is the official document or record of this applicant's enrollment, progress and achievement within your education institution. The transcript should identify courses taken (title and course number), credits and grades achieved, and credentials earned;
Nursing education program curriculum: a written description of this applicant's program of study and its individual courses. This can be included digitally (USB drive, CD, etc.);
Nursing education syllabus for each course: an extremely detailed outline and summary of the topics covered in each course, including course objectives, learning outcomes and hours of study. Include any document that would provide supplemental detail to what was taught in your Nursing Program.
This is the excuse NNAS gives when people are unhappy with their assessment. This is the excuse they even give American educated nurses when they are deemed 'non-comparable'. The purpose of NNAS sadly, is to get money from foreigners despite knowing that the result (in most cases) will be non-comparable. The assessment is done by American non-nurses in Philadelphia. Complaints to the Office of the Fairness Commissioner go unheard. I have only heard of two nurses educated in India that were comparable and they attended a university that had a partnership with a Canadian university, so the curriculum was Canadian. I think a Philippine nursing education is seen as a bit more comparable than an Indian nursing education. But be prepared to be "non-comparable". She will then eventually be asked to submit information about her nursing work experience. And/or challenge the OSCE/IENCAP exam. Just ensure everything is included in the NNAS submission since it will all be forwarded to CNO for review after. But don't be disappointed with the schools if you are non-comparable because the system is set up agains internationally educated nurses.

Lulu_SG

Jan 4, 2019
Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie here :)

I am just wondering, am I required to do 2 IELTS tests one academic for NNAS and one general training for the PR application?

Can I show an evidence that I have safely practiced nursing in the past two years where English was the language used? And my education was taught in English? So I don't need to do IELTS academic for NNAS.

Thank you all and hope to hear from you soon! ;)

Last edited:

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie here :)

I am just wondering, am I required to do 2 IELTS tests one academic for NNAS and one general training for the PR application?

Can I show an evidence that I have safely practiced nursing in the past two years where English was the language used? And my education was taught in English? So I don't need to do IELTS academic for NNAS.

Thank you all and hope to hear from you soon! ;)
yes you can for NNAS

Reactions: Lulu_SG

Lulu_SG

Jan 4, 2019
yes you can for NNAS
What I understood from the handbook and NNAS website that all require documents must be sent directly from the issuing authority to NNAS, so can I request from my hospital to mail the evidence letter along with my Nursing Practice/Employment Form to NNAS?

Thank you @RN_0001

Last edited:

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
What I understood from the handbook and NNAS website that all require documents must be sent directly from the issuing authority to NNAS, so can I request from my hospital to mail the evidence letter along with my Nursing Practice/Employment Form to NNAS?

Thank you @RN_0001
Yes, if you send anything yourself it will not be accepted by NNAS.

Reactions: Lulu_SG

Arshkatodia

Jan 6, 2019
Hi i recently completed my 2year diploma from cambrian college in automotive power technician.moreover i done 12th from India. So i am very confused how can i get pr in canada right now i am in ontario. So please suggest me where can i move for PR for example in Nova scotia or BC.