+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
Congratulations

lajjo said:
I finally decided to make an ID for this forum. I have been following this forum for a lonnnnggg time now and figured I should update what my process looked like.
I am a US educated nurse w/ a bachelors degree in nursing.
YES the whole process is very long and just ridiculous!
My NNAS report came back as "not-comparable"
I applied to CARNA- within 2 weeks I got an approval for my Temporary Permit!

The reason I am taking the time to write on this forum is for those of you being discouraged by the "not-comparable"
DON'T BE because there is hope! The ultimate decision is in the hands of the regulatory body you are applying for!

Right now I am applying for jobs and just waiting on an interview.

I would recommend giving thorough information-as much as you are able to, and communicate with the regulatory body you are applying for! NNAS is and ADVISORY report- it is NOT the final decision.

My experience is proof that YES its possible to get a not comparable- and be granted a permit to practice nursing in Canada. I have completed the NCLEX, the only requirement I have to complete is work a certain amount of hours after I am off orientation and then I am fully registered.

keep your spirits high and don't give up!

orichy

Star Member
Apr 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/13
AOR Received.
27/11/13
iblessed said:
Welcome to the group friend.
Tnx much. All the best to you. :)

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
In my case,CNO asked for Job description for only those which I did not provide to NNAS. They did not ask for other JD. My case is under review since March 20.. One of the person I know his case is under review since Feb 17 as of now by CNO that if experience earned is enough to skip OSCE/IENCAP.

Legentellison

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Oh well, i do hope that all our cases will be ok and work out fine. I requested my stuff so now its just waiting for everything to come through and see what the college has to say.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
canada11 said:
In my case,CNO asked for Job description for only those which I did not provide to NNAS. They did not ask for other JD. My case is under review since March 20.. One of the person I know his case is under review since Feb 17 as of now by CNO that if experience earned is enough to skip OSCE/IENCAP.
Please keep us posted on any next steps requested by CNO and any outcomes for you and your friend. Thank you!

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Legentellison said:
Canada 11 can i ask how long and in what capacity you worked...eg. ICU, Medicine.
10+ years ... mostly in OT, recovery & more specific to Anesthesia in last 5+ years

quebecRN

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
I did my nnas for ontario as well and I have done nclex which I passed in one sitting. But the challenge that am having is that part of the requirement for ontario registration is that you must either have permanent residence or citizen, but I have none because I live in India. I got "non-comparable" NNAS Result. What will i do next?. Can i apply student visa?.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
I think they give you temporary registration if you are non-resident . Please double check

quebecRN said:
I did my nnas for ontario as well and I have done nclex which I passed in one sitting. But the challenge that am having is that part of the requirement for ontario registration is that you must either have permanent residence or citizen, but I have none because I live in India. I got "non-comparable" NNAS Result. What will i do next?. Can i apply student visa?.

quebecRN

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
canada11 said:
I think they give you temporary registration if you are non-resident . Please double check
If they give temporary registration can i apply for student visa with temporary licenses. Because i am planning to study MSC Nursing in Canada, after my RN program. Please advice

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
quebecRN said:
You must be a citizen, permanent resident, or refugee in order to get a nursing license.

With a non-comparable nursing education from India, you have a long road ahead of you for licensing. You will likely need to do the IENCAP exam to prove that you have the knowledge, skill and judgment equivalent to someone with a Canadian nursing education. This exam can only be taken by Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or refugees so your first step is to work on getting permanent resident status.

It is possible that they would let you submit your nursing work experience as proof, but so far that mainly seems to be only some US-educated nurses.

Tborne

Mar 26, 2017
Hi - I am new to this forum - I am currently waiting for the NNAS report (shows as Ready for review as of 2 weeks ago) - Hopefully that process will not take toooo long. I have searched the forum and didn't see a lot of people going to British Columbia - Anyone applying to BC? I am curious how their process is now given they switched to NCAS for their post NNAS Assessment as of January 2017.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Tborne said:
Hi - I am new to this forum - I am currently waiting for the NNAS report (shows as Ready for review as of 2 weeks ago) - Hopefully that process will not take toooo long. I have searched the forum and didn't see a lot of people going to British Columbia - Anyone applying to BC? I am curious how their process is now given they switched to NCAS for their post NNAS Assessment as of January 2017.
I have been following multiple forums and so far it seems that BC is the province where IEN's are most likely to get licensed with less struggle. A few people with "non-comparable" NNAS Advisory Reports got a license without doing the SEC/NCAS (and without spending a minimum of $500 CAD for this additional assessment!). Depends on where you obtained your nursing education though. Where did you receive your nursing education?

quebecRN

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
RN_0001 said:
You must be a citizen, permanent resident, or refugee in order to get a nursing license.

With a non-comparable nursing education from India, you have a long road ahead of you for licensing. You will likely need to do the IENCAP exam to prove that you have the knowledge, skill and judgment equivalent to someone with a Canadian nursing education. This exam can only be taken by Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or refugees so your first step is to work on getting permanent resident status.

It is possible that they would let you submit your nursing work experience as proof, but so far that mainly seems to be only some US-educated nurses.
Is this true?. I read that they will give temporary licenses....?

Tborne

Mar 26, 2017
RN_0001 said:
I have been following multiple forums and so far it seems that BC is the province where IEN's are most likely to get licensed with less struggle. A few people with "non-comparable" NNAS Advisory Reports got a license without doing the SEC/NCAS (and without spending a minimum of $500 CAD for this additional assessment!). Depends on where you obtained your nursing education though. Where did you receive your nursing education?
Thanks RN_0001 - I hope that stays true - I got my RN education in the US with 7 + years of experience.