+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change before Citizenship application.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
Van9 said:
1) Will that legal name change complicates my citizenship application in any possible way?

2) I'm not planning to leave Canada at all during that period, so I assume I don't have to change my name on the PR card.

3) Do I have to change my name on my home country passport, since a copy of the passport is required with the Canadian citizen application?

My biggest concern is point#3, since I have no way to change my passport name to the new one without visiting my home country which is impossible for me due to political reasons.

Thanking you in advance.

Van9,
1) Not at all. You will have to include the name change certificate.
2) You are right. No need to change PR card.
3) It's up to you. Name change certificate shows your old and new names. I'm sure your old name matches your home country passport. From the application process point of view, it doesn't make any difference.

If you legally changed your name in Canada, that is your name to be used for applications. You don't need to change your PR card. You can if you want to. I didn't because I am expecting to become a citizen and then PR card is temporary and will need to be returned. It is just one more process and $$$. But you are required to change IDs, such as driver's license and MSP/service card. These are mandatory process.

Your home country passport is nothing to do with Canadian name change. You will have to change your name in your home country. It is a legal process. If you need to travel with your home country passport, carry the name change certificate.