+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My title from a NOC code & my duties overlap with 3 NOC codes. What shud I do?

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Dear All,

I work as a bioinformatician. The paystubs, offer letter, & job advertisement mentions the job title as "Bioinformatician". My current bioinformatician job duties have responsibilities mainly from the below 3 NOC codes. NOC team, told me to use NOC2172 as primary NOC. But my job title is Bioinformatician (NOC2121) and duties from NOC2172. If I mix up title and duties from different NOC code. Won't it be a confusion? Any help is much appreciated.

I am afraid that if CIC officer compares just Bioinformatician title with NOC2121 duties, I have only 30-40% overlap. The funny part of this NOC is duties listed only for biologists and microbiologists. But mine is research field with different duties.

- How am I going to convince the CIC officer with my duties and responsibilities?

NOC 2121 - Biologists and related scientists (Bioinformatician, falls under NOC2121.)
- Responsible for conducting genomics and bioinformatics analyses on DNA/RNA samples from plants, animals, and pathogens
- Analyze biological datasets like whole genomes, whole exomes, RNA-seq, genetic expression, SNP arrays and biomarker data
- I am working in human related genetic diseases like cancer, fabry, cardiac myopathy, PBC, autoimmune diseases
- I am responsible for finding disease-causing mutations in the patients
- Performing biostatistical data analysis using R programming

NOC 2172 - Database administrator
- Design and develop database architecture for information systems projects
- Collect and document user requirements
- Design, construct, modify, integrate, implement and test data models and database management systems
- I design and develop database to integrate clinical patients and DNA information together
- I am the administrator of the database

NOC 2174 - Computer Programmer
- Write, modify, integrate and test software code
- Maintain existing computer programs by making modifications as required
- I write programs to automate the process in analyzing the DNA samples from patients
- I write programs to generate reports for biologists and clinicians.
- I maintain Linux and windows server for the entire lab
- I work on high-performance cluster computing system like Sun Grid Engine

In addition, I also do website developments and maintenance (NOC2175).

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Nalanda said:
Dear All,

I work as a bioinformatician. The paystubs, offer letter, & job advertisement mentions the job title as "Bioinformatician". My current bioinformatician job duties have responsibilities mainly from the below 3 NOC codes. NOC team, told me to use NOC2172 as primary NOC. But my job title is Bioinformatician (NOC2121) and duties from NOC2172. If I mix up title and duties from different NOC code. Won't it be a confusion? Any help is much appreciated.

I am afraid that if CIC officer compares just Bioinformatician title with NOC2121 duties, I have only 30-40% overlap. The funny part of this NOC is duties listed only for biologists and microbiologists. But mine is research field with different duties.

- How am I going to convince the CIC officer with my duties and responsibilities?

NOC 2121 - Biologists and related scientists (Bioinformatician, falls under NOC2121.)
- Responsible for conducting genomics and bioinformatics analyses on DNA/RNA samples from plants, animals, and pathogens
- Analyze biological datasets like whole genomes, whole exomes, RNA-seq, genetic expression, SNP arrays and biomarker data
- I am working in human related genetic diseases like cancer, fabry, cardiac myopathy, PBC, autoimmune diseases
- I am responsible for finding disease-causing mutations in the patients
- Performing biostatistical data analysis using R programming

NOC 2172 - Database administrator
- Design and develop database architecture for information systems projects
- Collect and document user requirements
- Design, construct, modify, integrate, implement and test data models and database management systems
- I design and develop database to integrate clinical patients and DNA information together
- I am the administrator of the database

NOC 2174 - Computer Programmer
- Write, modify, integrate and test software code
- Maintain existing computer programs by making modifications as required
- I write programs to automate the process in analyzing the DNA samples from patients
- I write programs to generate reports for biologists and clinicians.
- I maintain Linux and windows server for the entire lab
- I work on high-performance cluster computing system like Sun Grid Engine

In addition, I also do website developments and maintenance (NOC2175).
The primary NOC should be selected on the basis of the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you and its match with the NOC duties and responsibilities. It should not be selected on the basis of the designation match, as the same role might be referred to by different names in different companies and even different geographies.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks, Stanlee.

Noc team told me to use NOC2172 for above job. After receiving ITA, If I change the below things

1) is it ok to change my primary occupation NOC code?
2) Under work history section, for the above job , can I change the NOC code from 2121 to 2172?

Will it be treated as misrepresentation?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Nalanda said:
Thanks, Stanlee.

Noc team told me to use NOC2172 for above job. After receiving ITA, If I change the below things

1) is it ok to change my primary occupation NOC code?
2) Under work history section, for the above job , can I change the NOC code from 2121 to 2172?

Will it be treated as misrepresentation?
No. Misrepresentation lying to hide something or to gain something through cheating. If you make a mistake on an NOC code, that is not misrepresentation (at worst, you will be refused).

Example: A waiter in a restaurant is not eligible for EE because his job is not considered "skilled." So he claims to be the "supervisor" or "manager" of the restaurant to qualify. That is misrepresentation.

Other people have "hybrid" jobs and have difficulty chosing the correct NOC. In your case, all of the NOCs are the same level, so clearly you are not trying to "gain" something by lying.

nthuynh

Mar 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
Sorry to bring up this subject because I get the same problem of hybrid jobs.
Anyway, I'm sure that my jobs remains in the NOC code 1 Business, Finance, administration. According to your reply above it isn't a misrepresentation.
My application reached CIC office 2 weeks ago, I have not received AOR yet. After thinking again and again, I would like to modify the NOC code from 1112 to 1221, and from 1114 to 1111. May I change them in my EE profile now? I'm afraid that Visa officer will reject my application because of the incoherence between Application Form and EE profile... But if I don't make the change now, I'm afraid that they will return/ or reject my files because of wrong NOC code... :( Should I change?

Dear Nalanda,
What did you mean by "NOC team"? Is there any service who advice us in this case?

Many thanks and regards

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
nthuynh said:
Hello
Sorry to bring up this subject because I get the same problem of hybrid jobs.
Anyway, I'm sure that my jobs remains in the NOC code 1 Business, Finance, administration. According to your reply above it isn't a misrepresentation.
My application reached CIC office 2 weeks ago, I have not received AOR yet. After thinking again and again, I would like to modify the NOC code from 1112 to 1221, and from 1114 to 1111. May I change them in my EE profile now? I'm afraid that Visa officer will reject my application because of the incoherence between Application Form and EE profile... But if I don't make the change now, I'm afraid that they will return/ or reject my files because of wrong NOC code... :( Should I change?

Dear Nalanda,
What did you mean by "NOC team"? Is there any service who advice us in this case?

Many thanks and regards
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.

You can edit your Express Entry profile anytime till you get ITA.