+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My PR is in process, can I divorce my sponsor because of his alcoholism?

ayj

Jun 4, 2013
Hello,

I have been with my husband for 4 years. We were dating for 3 years and finally signed on paper in AB last year. My permanent resident document sponsored by my husband was submitted last November and I was requested to send updated criminal record check in March and it was done. So technically I am not an immigrant yet.

The problem is that I started recognizing his alcoholism recently. He used to drink a lot when we were dating but his excuse was that he needed to drink as much as he wanted when he was with me as he would not be allowed to drink at all due to safety issue while working in oil field anyways. Also he travelled a lot and we were physically living together only 4~5 months so his alcohol problem did not really hit me hard. But now, he has been shaking his hands and sweating like crazy. He doesn't remember most of the day, drinks and drives hitting light poles so our car's broken, can't stand still, wambles a lot, can't sleep without drinking anything. He said he would quit so many times for a year but never succeeded. I have requested help from his family and they tried to help him for a month. After then, they told me there were nothing they could help him and he needed to sort things out by himself asking me to be away from him for a while.
Funny thing is I just heard that his mom passed away because of alcohol problem and his family has a lot of serious alcoholics in history for both sides. No one told me that. And when I asked for help to his family like a 6 months ago, they said I was overreacting and I needed to be settled down. ha! And 6 months after, they were telling me they wanted to protect him at that time and ignore that his son/brother had a problem. The family had a lot of issues in the past. My husband grew up being abused. His dad now apologized but my husband still has a big trauma I think. And when his dad knew that his son had an alcohol problem, he just came over our place and talked couple times and told me there was nothing he could do about it. I don't blame him as he has been changed a lot and felt bad about his previous abuse to his kids while he needed to deal with his wife's problem in the past but... I was shocked how easy he gave up on his son..
Another problem my husband has is sleeping problem. Since my husband was 4 years old, he had had bad insomnia but nobody took him to a doctor. Now he sleeps only 2 hours straight without waking up. So sometimes he sleeps only 3hours maximum a day. He stays in bed all day but he only sleeps couple hours straight and sometime a little more, sometimes that is all he gets for a day. He also does sleep talking, sleepwalking. That way he hurts himself in the middle of night and he does not even know why he's got so many cuts and bruises. And he sometimes he urinates in our bedroom... or bathroom floor and does not remember. Every time he uses the bathroom, some liquid is all over the floor and I don't want to know what that is... He never cleans up anything in our place so our living looks like a dumpster. Though I clean everyplace up, it gets dirty in five minutes.

My husband does not listen to me any more for seeing a professional for alcohol or sleep and starts hiding alcohol everywhere in our place. He refused to go to rehab insisting he could quit by himself and then next morning I saw the 6 empty cans of beer right next him sleeping. If I find out, he blames me as a reason he drinks. He says that I am asking him not to drink and helping me house chores stresses him out. I hate him so much when he drives stealing a car key from me and goes to a bar, and is swearing at me or some other people he hated before. He is falling TVs, chairs or other stuff down with him as he can't stand without holding anything... but then he is very nice when he's sober and begging me not to leave saying he will go see a counsellor and help me on taking care of the place. Once he has a sip of drink, all his promises are just gone...I don't know what to do.

I don't think people will call it addiction if the person can do it by oneself. He does need professional help but then I am thinking there is not many reason I should help him if his own family gives up on him so easy. And I can't think of him as a father of my children in the future if he is not quitting drinking and changes his whole life style.
I want to stay in Canada as I am studying towards my accounting designation. It will be over next year and I want to have a good job and successful life.
If I give up on him and go with humanity procedure to keep my PR, is it going to cost a lot? Do you think I am being so selfish? I don't see any hope. As much as I want my happiness, I also want his happiness but it's getting harder and harder to me. I have not felt happy for six months. Please give me a helpful advice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm very sorry for what you are going through.

By "humanity procedure", I assume you are referring to the Humanitarian & Compassionate process. If so, you would be wise to hire a lawyer to increase your changes of success. Unfortunately this will likely cost several thousand dollars. Even if you hire a lawyer, you should be aware that there is no guarantee your H&C application will be approved.

Good luck.

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
So sorry to hear that ayj. I can't offer much help on the Humanitarian Grounds issue, but I can let you know you are NOT being selfish. Alcoholism affects more than just the person involved, and it is something that may or may not ever be cured - it all depends on how willing the person suffering is to seek help and the treatment necessary.
All the best with your journey, and I hope you yourself find the support network you need to cope with your relationship, whether or not you decide to stay with your partner.

Cerezita

Apr 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/07/2013
Well, maybe just get away from him for a while, you don't have to divorce him yet and would not be good for your application anyway, sorry to say it but at least you have to get something good from marrying him.

He also needs to touch bottom and the best thing is for you to leave him, because of his disease, if you get denied because of the whole situation then so be it and then you can divorce him and maybe apply as a skilled worker later on.

micmac101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2010
North Shore of New Brunswick
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2010
LANDED..........
Husband arrived October 17,2014
First of all I know what your dealing with and its a horrendous decision in what ever you do. I don't what to be descriptive by Alcoholism is a Addiction and in the Medical Field it is Noted as a Disease. If you want to know more about Alcoholism Addiction look up in the Phone book or the net about AL-NON it helps famiiies who have a member or like you a spouse with this Disease.

Anything about your case well I would seek help through Immigration or a lawyer but its costs a lot for a lawyer and they take your money and really don't help that much in the long run.

So please contact

AL-NON its a NONPROFIT help Organisation that's deals with Alcoholism and then you can decide.

I would suggest your to your Husband to get into a Addiction Centre to get the HELP he needs, ASAP Good luck and may GOD help you along the way....

TLSD

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 28, 2013
File Transfer...
22-04-2013
Med's Request
27-03-2013
Med's Done....
11-04-2013
Interview........
Feb.12, 2014
Passport Req..
15-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
❤❤February 18, 2014❤❤
LANDED..........
❤❤❤❤March 3, 2014❤❤❤❤
I read somewhere that a person would not lose their status if a separation or divorce is due to abuse . I am sure that your situation would fall under that category . I agree an immigration lawyer is your best route at this point :(

micmac101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2010
North Shore of New Brunswick
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2010
LANDED..........
Husband arrived October 17,2014
First of all please contact CIC before anything you do as they always want to know everything FIRST this way your 100% honest in all you do.

Don't do anything until you hear from them. Another thing you can go to any Unemployment & Immigration Office in Canada and they will help you with this.

Don't start to jump fences until you speak with them. I know at times they are A** Holes but its them you apply first of all then you can decide if you need a lawyer. If you start with a lawyer it may cause you a money problem when in fact it was a simple problem.

My first worry is get to that NONPROFIT group AL-NON I tell you straight from my heart and family Experience I know they can help Guide you before you decide to Divorce. First know how Immigration sees this then a lawyer if the need be then AL-NON.

If you want further proof about AL-NON look them up on the NET or Inbox me. I know can help you in this with Alcohol Abuse ok May GOD bless you..........

ayj

Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for the good words guys. I tried to convince him to go AA meetings but he refused it. He keeps saying he can do it on his own. But he still drinks 2 hours after he says that. This is not only about his alcohol problem but his own belief that doctors don't do anything.

I left him to visit my family in my country for a month hoping he could see what he would lose. But even on the day I left, he was too drunk to drive. So I had to drive myself to the airport. And when I came back to Canada last week, he was drunk and sleeping in the waiting area of the airport. People in the waiting area told me that something was wrong with him. His sister drove to pick me up with him as he was drunk to drive and pick me up.

When I am about to go to bed around 11pm, he comes in and calls my name loud and starts getting upset about some random things we discussed two months ago. Because of that, I go to bed at 6am every day for last two weeks. That's when he sleeps after drinking/smoking all night. I am so exhausted and can't move forward with my study at all. This is too stressful.

I think I will try to find an employer to hire me with LMO but it is not very promising as I am a skilled worker. Paying thousands of dollars to process H&C procedures would be considered if I can get a job here.... I actually started recording/videotaping every time he is drunk and being psychologically abusive in case if I ever have to do H&C.

I am thinking to go back to my country and file a divorce after a year giving up on PR if he can't figure things out.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
ayj said:
Thanks for the good words guys. I tried to convince him to go AA meetings but he refused it. He keeps saying he can do it on his own. But he still drinks 2 hours after he says that. This is not only about his alcohol problem but his own belief that doctors don't do anything.

I left him to visit my family in my country for a month hoping he could see what he would lose. But even on the day I left, he was too drunk to drive. So I had to drive myself to the airport. And when I came back to Canada last week, he was drunk and sleeping in the waiting area of the airport. People in the waiting area told me that something was wrong with him. His sister drove to pick me up with him as he was drunk to drive and pick me up.

When I am about to go to bed around 11pm, he comes in and calls my name loud and starts getting upset about some random things we discussed two months ago. Because of that, I go to bed at 6am every day for last two weeks. That's when he sleeps after drinking/smoking all night. I am so exhausted and can't move forward with my study at all. This is too stressful.

I think I will try to find an employer to hire me with LMO but it is not very promising as I am a skilled worker. Paying thousands of dollars to process H&C procedures would be considered if I can get a job here.... I actually started recording/videotaping every time he is drunk and being psychologically abusive in case if I ever have to do H&C.

I am thinking to go back to my country and file a divorce after a year giving up on PR if he can't figure things out.
Typical addict talk. He needs help. But he has to realize that he needs help for himself.

So sorry to hear about your situation. :(
Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
TLSD said:
I read somewhere that a person would not lose their status if a separation or divorce is due to abuse . I am sure that your situation would fall under that category . I agree an immigration lawyer is your best route at this point :(
The problem is that she doesn't have PR status yet. Her PR application is still being processed.

cicada

May 23, 2017
Hello,

I have been with my husband for 4 years. We were dating for 3 years and finally signed on paper in AB last year. My permanent resident document sponsored by my husband was submitted last November and I was requested to send updated criminal record check in March and it was done. So technically I am not an immigrant yet.

The problem is that I started recognizing his alcoholism recently. He used to drink a lot when we were dating but his excuse was that he needed to drink as much as he wanted when he was with me as he would not be allowed to drink at all due to safety issue while working in oil field anyways. Also he travelled a lot and we were physically living together only 4~5 months so his alcohol problem did not really hit me hard. But now, he has been shaking his hands and sweating like crazy. He doesn't remember most of the day, drinks and drives hitting light poles so our car's broken, can't stand still, wambles a lot, can't sleep without drinking anything. He said he would quit so many times for a year but never succeeded. I have requested help from his family and they tried to help him for a month. After then, they told me there were nothing they could help him and he needed to sort things out by himself asking me to be away from him for a while.
Funny thing is I just heard that his mom passed away because of alcohol problem and his family has a lot of serious alcoholics in history for both sides. No one told me that. And when I asked for help to his family like a 6 months ago, they said I was overreacting and I needed to be settled down. ha! And 6 months after, they were telling me they wanted to protect him at that time and ignore that his son/brother had a problem. The family had a lot of issues in the past. My husband grew up being abused. His dad now apologized but my husband still has a big trauma I think. And when his dad knew that his son had an alcohol problem, he just came over our place and talked couple times and told me there was nothing he could do about it. I don't blame him as he has been changed a lot and felt bad about his previous abuse to his kids while he needed to deal with his wife's problem in the past but... I was shocked how easy he gave up on his son..
Another problem my husband has is sleeping problem. Since my husband was 4 years old, he had had bad insomnia but nobody took him to a doctor. Now he sleeps only 2 hours straight without waking up. So sometimes he sleeps only 3hours maximum a day. He stays in bed all day but he only sleeps couple hours straight and sometime a little more, sometimes that is all he gets for a day. He also does sleep talking, sleepwalking. That way he hurts himself in the middle of night and he does not even know why he's got so many cuts and bruises. And he sometimes he urinates in our bedroom... or bathroom floor and does not remember. Every time he uses the bathroom, some liquid is all over the floor and I don't want to know what that is... He never cleans up anything in our place so our living looks like a dumpster. Though I clean everyplace up, it gets dirty in five minutes.

My husband does not listen to me any more for seeing a professional for alcohol or sleep and starts hiding alcohol everywhere in our place. He refused to go to rehab insisting he could quit by himself and then next morning I saw the 6 empty cans of beer right next him sleeping. If I find out, he blames me as a reason he drinks. He says that I am asking him not to drink and helping me house chores stresses him out. I hate him so much when he drives stealing a car key from me and goes to a bar, and is swearing at me or some other people he hated before. He is falling TVs, chairs or other stuff down with him as he can't stand without holding anything... but then he is very nice when he's sober and begging me not to leave saying he will go see a counsellor and help me on taking care of the place. Once he has a sip of drink, all his promises are just gone...I don't know what to do.

I don't think people will call it addiction if the person can do it by oneself. He does need professional help but then I am thinking there is not many reason I should help him if his own family gives up on him so easy. And I can't think of him as a father of my children in the future if he is not quitting drinking and changes his whole life style.
I want to stay in Canada as I am studying towards my accounting designation. It will be over next year and I want to have a good job and successful life.
If I give up on him and go with humanity procedure to keep my PR, is it going to cost a lot? Do you think I am being so selfish? I don't see any hope. As much as I want my happiness, I also want his happiness but it's getting harder and harder to me. I have not felt happy for six months. Please give me a helpful advice.
Hi,

I am in the same situtation. My husband is in the navy and he has angry issue and drinking probram. i feel i am living under stree every single day

M

mikeymyke

Hi,

I am in the same situtation. My husband is in the navy and he has angry issue and drinking probram. i feel i am living under stree every single day
So why are you still continuing on with your PR application?

Reactions: YVR123