+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My PR card got expired in late 2019 which I wasn’t aware of and and I was out of country so I came through USA border. Can it be a issue to apply late

siyashree

Sep 25, 2022
As my pr card expired in 2019 and due to some circumstances I am applying renewal now, can it be a issue for me?

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
As my pr card expired in 2019 and due to some circumstances I am applying renewal now, can it be a issue for me?
Before answering your question, you need to mention if you meet the RO or not and how did it go at the border. Were you questioned or did the agent just let you in, was there a report, etc...?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So you are in Canada now? Did you get reported when you crossed teh border. When did you come back?

If you didn't get reported, you need to stay for 2 years (plus some buffer) and then apply to renew your PR after you meet your RO.

There is no concept of "applying late". PR card is used to travel back to Canada. Some people do not travel and do not need a valid PR card.
So apply (in Canada) when you meet RO if you were not reported.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you are in Canada now? Did you get reported when you crossed teh border. When did you come back?

If you didn't get reported, you need to stay for 2 years (plus some buffer) and then apply to renew your PR after you meet your RO.

There is no concept of "applying late". PR card is used to travel back to Canada. Some people do not travel and do not need a valid PR card.
So apply (in Canada) when you meet RO if you were not reported.
Sadly, some people that are in breach of their R.O. are allowed to enter, but have no idea if the CBSA officer has started the process to create a 44(1) report. Some people only find out when they receive something afterwards...including a Removal Order. Granted, it's not an enforceable Removal Order until there has been a hearing, but shocking nonetheless. It should be a mandatory requirement that the PR get a copy of the report before leaving the PoE...unless the officer was bluffing when saying that there would be a report.

Last edited: