+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My grandmother was denied supervisa, please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Patrick H said:
Thanks Scylla. I will tell that to her fiancee. I don,t know what they will do. I am sure he would want to know if he could marry her while he is in Canada and she is in Colombia. Any advantage if he has to go himself to Colombia ? What he needs to bring once he gets there, documents etc. Tonight I will tell him that so he can look into it. Usually how many months, can it take before she can come back here after she marries. ? roughly.
He has no choice but to travel to Colombia in person to marry her. Proxy marriages are not accepted by CIC. He'll have to research the marriage process in Colomia to understand how it works and what documents he has to bring.

How soon she can return to Canada has nothing to do with when she gets married - it depends on how soon they can submit the PR application after they get married. It can take a few months to get all of the paperwork together. Currently, 80% of applications processed through the Bogota visa office take 14 months or less to process. Due to the failed refugee claim, I think your grandmother should be prepared for the possibility that her application may take 14 months or more to process. So from the time the PR application is submitted, she will most likely be waiting at least a year, if not quite a bit longer, before she can return to Canada. Returning to Canada is going to take time.

Patrick H

Nov 17, 2015
I just finished speaking with my mother a moment ago.Both my mother and my grandmother were not well informed that if her refugee application status would be denied that she would have a hard and long time to re-apply later. The Canadian Immigration officer, as far as my mother can recall made it look easy to just go ahead and apply for refugee status not warning her of the refusal consequences. Can my mother go back now to see the canadian immigration officer and explain the misunderstanding/ignorance on her part. ? I feel now that my grandmother would have been better off if she just went back after her stay and just applied for another visitor visa to come and finally get married next year.
Thanks Scylla.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Patrick H said:
I just finished speaking with my mother a moment ago.Both my mother and my grandmother were not well informed that if her refugee application status would be denied that she would have a hard and long time to re-apply later. The Canadian Immigration officer, as far as my mother can recall made it look easy to just go ahead and apply for refugee status not warning her of the refusal consequences. Can my mother go back now to see the canadian immigration officer and explain the misunderstanding/ignorance on her part. ? I feel now that my grandmother would have been better off if she just went back after her stay and just applied for another visitor visa to come and finally get married next year.
Thanks Scylla.
Her failure to learn about the consequences of filing a false refugee claim is her own fault. CIC won't care.

As scylla already stated, she has no chance of getting a visitor visa or supervisa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - it's too late to go back and correct anything or explain anything. What's done is done.

It doesn't matter who advised your grandmother to apply. It was her responsibility to understand her actions and CIC will hold her responsible for what she did.

Patrick H

Nov 17, 2015
My grandmother did not file a "false" refugee claim. Our family is not like that. We do everything legal but we were malformed and are victims of those who told us what to do and where to go. We are not smart people that know these things about the imm. laws and so forth. My grandmother is a good lady who would do anything possible for children even after losing recently her husband in a car accident. She was/is unlucky and I think there are many like her that go through the same refusal process after being ignorant of the consequences. I really would have thought that the CIC would have at least tried to explain to her the consequences refusing a refugee claim. I am sure her fiancee would have married her here before she went away thus saving an airline return ticket. Now he has t leave the care of his sick father and find the money for the trip.
I wish to thank everyone for the quick responses and attention given to me on this matter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Patrick H said:
I really would have thought that the CIC would have at least tried to explain to her the consequences refusing a refugee claim. I am sure her fiancee would have married her here before she went away thus saving an airline return ticket. Now he has t leave the care of his sick father and find the money for the trip.
I wish to thank everyone for the quick responses and attention given to me on this matter.
CIC is not your babysitter. Every individual is responsible for the applications they file and understanding the consequences of their actions.

I'd recommend that your grandmother and her fiance dedicate time to reading about spousal sponsorship in detail to ensure they understand the process fully before applying.

Good luck.

Patrick H

Nov 17, 2015
And now my generous Canadian government is granting 25,000 refugees ( I wonder who will pay their trip here ???) without family ties/sponsors/funds into this country on a red carpet.
CIC suddenly becomes their babysitter and I am sure they will be well informed on their rights and consequences. Like those 25,000 know anything about immigration laws.

Sorry being off topic, but I just had to.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Patrick H said:
My grandmother did not file a "false" refugee claim. Our family is not like that. We do everything legal but we were malformed and are victims of those who told us what to do and where to go. We are not smart people that know these things about the imm. laws and so forth. My grandmother is a good lady who would do anything possible for children even after losing recently her husband in a car accident. She was/is unlucky and I think there are many like her that go through the same refusal process after being ignorant of the consequences. I really would have thought that the CIC would have at least tried to explain to her the consequences refusing a refugee claim.
CIC determined the refugee claim to be non-genuine and refused it, so yes, she did file a false claim. The fact that, as you stated, what she wants is to live here and go back and forth to visit family back home shows that she is not a genuine refugee.

You are not victims. At any point, you could have made the effort to learn about the process and the consequences yourselves. I knew pretty much nothing about immigration until I applied to sponsor my partner; I studied the website, immigration sites, immigration law etc. to learn about the process.

Patrick H

Nov 17, 2015
I am very certain my grandmother did not know what really a refugee claim is. She and her daughter (my mother) was told by that lawyer lady (not CIC) that she would have to file the refugee claim so that it would make it easier for her to come and go often to both countries. She just did as she was told/requested to do. She was a farmer in Colombia so stuff has to guided to her. Her daughter trusted that lawyer lady and they went ahead with it. I know ignorance of the law is never justified and all that stuff. It is her and her daughter's fault I agree. But does that also mean that the lawyer lady is off the hook ? She can go ahead and just say "do it this way " instead of saying " do it this way BUT if you get refused, this and this will happen like...you will have a very tough time getting back in" Come on, a little foresighted warning and a few seconds of teaching the ignorant farmer on her part surely would not have missed her supper date. I mean she must have been well paid to give a few minutes of opinion. And for the CIC officer, it's like a death sentence without appeal or re-trial. I hope she realizes that my grandmother is crying right now. She is not a criminal and will show just how good she is after she marries next year and starts integrating into Canada and pay her taxes. My grandmother never wanted to stay always in Canada, she just wants the freedom to travel to see her family here and in Colombia.
Anyway what's done is done. Live and learn.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Patrick H said:
And now my generous Canadian government is granting 25,000 refugees ( I wonder who will pay their trip here ???) without family ties/sponsors/funds into this country on a red carpet.
CIC suddenly becomes their babysitter and I am sure they will be well informed on their rights and consequences. Like those 25,000 know anything about immigration laws.

Sorry being off topic, but I just had to.
Their case will be different than your grandmother's in that these individuals will have already been assessed and recognized as refugees by UNHCR (i.e. the United Nations) first. Canada will perform further reviews to confirm they are truly refugees and also pass the background/security checks. Individuals who apply for refugee status from outside of Canada must be recognized as refugees by UNHCR or a similar referral organization before they can apply to come to Canada. This same rule of course doesn't apply to refugee claimants from inside of Canada. If any of these individuals are refused refugee status, they will find themselves in the same situation as your grandmother.

It's a pretty low blow to compare people who have left their home country because their lives are in danger/homes have been destroyed and now find themselves stranded in foreign country with literally only the clothes on their backs - to your grandmother who owns a condo and has the luxury of traveling in and out of her own country freely. Surely you realize the difference.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
scylla said:
It's a pretty low blow to compare people who have left their home country because their lives are in danger/homes have been destroyed and now find themselves stranded in foreign country with literally only the clothes on their backs - to your grandmother who owns a condo and has the luxury of traveling in and out of her own country freely. Surely you realize the difference.
Well said scylla.

Patrick H

Nov 17, 2015
Yes, I understand and am fully aware now of what's going on. I just don't feel it was right to refuse and be so intolerant to a person for not having passed her refugee application. So just because you voluntarily go to apply and get refused a refugee application even though your OK with entering with a regular visa you are given a slap in the hand and banned for a much longer time period RATHER than not applying at all and staying as a tourist and re-applying for a tourist visa which most likely would have been granted as she has done that many times before and had no problems with getting just a visiting tourist visa. It's like, in my humble opinion, one takes a mighty risk to akin of playing Russian roulette when one goes for that refugee claim. There should be a large sign on the wall and on the desk of the CIC officer which says " Apply at your own risk, if you get refused your refugee claim you WILL get punished". As my grandmother knows so well now.

cathy1984

Star Member
Oct 4, 2012
viisitor visa extension

hello guys.. i will apply my mother visitor visa extension this december.but im just wondering is it possible she will denied because im on maternity leave now so i could not able to provide any pay stub this time.?or cic will consider the extension though im not working.my hubby does and he works in oilfield.thanks

BrianDell

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Oct 2014
AOR Received.
1 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
6 Jan 2015<br>IP 3 June 2015
Med's Done....
9 Jan 2015
Passport Req..
17 June 2015
VISA ISSUED...
1 Aug 2015 (delivered)
LANDED..........
11 Aug 2015 in Edmonton
She was on implied status while the refugee application was processing, that's why she didn't necessarily overstay the Temporary Resident Visa. But the TRV was applied for on the basis that she was going to return to Colombia within the time duration of that TRV. When she lands and applies for refugee status that's pretty clear intent that she was, in fact, not looking to go back any time soon. Add on top of that a romantic interest in Canada and it would be very hard to make the case she would return to Colombia even aside from the idea that she applied for refugee status by mistake (mistake being the best possible light).

M

mikeymyke

Wow this certainly took a strange twist. The OP was so sure about his grandma doing everything right, then it turns out she actually tried to apply for refugee status :eek: