+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My expriences so far ... first two days in Toronto!!!

vish.777

Aug 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi --> WARSAW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/10/2014
Nomination.....
PER 25/01/2015
AOR Received.
Warsaw on 10/02/2015
File Transfer...
[b][size=12pt]Bought a Frying Pan :p
Med's Request
05/05/2015
Med's Done....
12/05/2015
Interview........
[b][color=goldenrod] DM - 23/05/2015
Passport Req..
[color=coral][b]27/05/2015
VISA ISSUED...
[color=teal][b]20/05/2015 as per COPR, PP received on 12/06/2015
CharlotteJ said:
Thank God there are some great people like 90% of you great cool new Canadians who understand me and give me a break!

I told you all this earlier that I am a huge fan of human rights, pleasure, fun, love and support for all human beings and the fact I am so confused and so in many ways disappointed in much of my personal Canadian experience was not due to the people and/or many cool stuff here, but due to this underlying discrimination that is ongoing and a lot of dillema's that are not sorted out here and the influx of many immigrants to this country with hopes and high expectations that sadly will be shattered in many cases and need to settle down and in with far less that they initially were expeting, but by far, I didn't mention anything of hate and/or as to discourage people to come over here.

It is "MY" thread, yes and it is "MY" personal experience and views that I am sharing with all of you. This way all of you and all those secret readers and new guests to this forum can truly feel and experience how I as a new immigrant experience this whole new event in my life and can be prepared.

It is so confusing to really try your best and really truly hard to get to somewhere that sadly isn't resulting to anything of good due to many barriers and dillema's that I just mentioned and all that simply because this country is a young nation and still needs a lot of bright forward looking far sighted people with an open attitude and happy attitude to embrace it all and slowly change the atmosphere here and make it a better place for all of us to live and so hopefully, sometime in near future, the earlier the better, we see people coming in here and say" hey, I found a job because I was really qualified for it" and not say " I can't find a job, because I don't have a Canadian job experience bla bla bla " which is partially the case for many of us as to be rejected and disappointed all the time and for all of you, holding high degree's and expertise to find the right job that is suit for you, tailored to your skills and to go from there and so ...

NONE OF US NEED TO GO AND LOOK FOR A SURVIVAL JOB!!!!!

because I myself being an immigrant to the Netherlands 20 years ago, do recall my first job which was an administrative job and all that even despite my poor knowledge of Dutch language at the time and hardly any administrative skills or previous experience but I was given the job because they believed in me and they needed fresh talented people like me and not because I was networking because networking doesn't exist in the Netherlands. You are given a job because you apply for it yourself and not because somebody is referring you to it or is doing a good word for you!

I was given a job and I went from there and improved my skills to the level I am in today. But I come to Canada, as a multi-lingual person, with an impressive resume and I have to find "survival jobs"???!!!! because they don't care? because I lack Canadian job experience? because I lack the right degrees and/or certificated according to Canadian standards?!!! because this, because that???? ...

be honest, all of you are facing the same misery, all of you are going through the same nonsense and all of you are somehow sometime in your life so far in here, have been dealing with the same frustrations and dillema's as to WHY? WHY? and again "WHY? do they require me to provide them with this and that?"

That is all such nonsense and just purely because of the FACT that employers here want to cut in their spenditure, save up on their precious money and hire only people who know how to deal with JAVA, SAP, ORACLE, SQL, WEBDESIGN, UNIX, LINUX, RAC, etc etc etc just to the right candidate for some data base administration job?????? :-X to multitask and know multiple skills as for fulfill only ONE position that leaves the poor yet talented employee like you, being an IT, frustrated, tired, exhausted, confronted and messed up and resulting in an end product that is nowhere close to perfection because how on Earth can you deal with so many when you are required to deliver perfection as end product?

They want an administrative assistant who should be bi-lingual, be an executive assistant, be a receptionist, be this, be that, been doing this and been doing that for at least 10 years (which in my case is no problem) but you are totally ignored simply because you can't show them the proper related Canadian job experience?! :-X

Be honest with yourself and go ask and wonder these issues yourself in prior to attacking me for being a racist which I am not and being of this and that which I am not and never intended to say or to do or to hurt or harm you and don't wait for me to offer any of you my apologies, because I shall not do offer anybody an apology because I am not one of those in charge of the job market or the whole unbalanced system here that leaves you upset and for the fact that the truth hurts and you don't want to hear the truth and face your own misery all over again!

I am clear, honest and say at loud what I think but it doesn't mean I do that in real time too.

This is Canada and is not the heaven on Earth! it is not a Paradise and you can not compare it to either Europe or USA!

It is a harsh climate in which people live here and I can tell you that here, you are going to end up living in Parallels and not exactly in line with all of the rest. It will be "you" and "me", "they" and "us" and if you don't like it, then skip this whole adventure, if you can deal with it, no problem, get yourself here, live with it and don't complain if you have to first go and seek for a survival job holding any high degree and receiving recognition and appreciaton for your years of excellent expertise and talents back home!

We have to be able to discuss such and be able to freely speak and open up the dialogue as to discuss such and not go and attack each and anybody who says something you might not find "fun" and take it as "insult" because that doesn't make you any better and just as low as those who sue each and everybody they don't like or might find offfensive which is the case here and that has resulted in a society that is forced to be alert, keeping up appearances and never speak up!

It puts pressure on people and forces all and everybody to live a double life! they smile at you in public or only if they need you for your money, while they hate you for being here or being yourself or who are, behind your back and once you are out of their vision! Is that what you like?

I don't care if you are Turkish, Algerian, Polish, Philippino, Chinese what so ever. I have friends from all layers of the society and in all colors, shapes and with different views, expertise, back grounds etc etc.

Which one of you can come forward and tell me that he or she has had 16 job interviews in let's say 2 months? Which one of you have worked as Sales Associate, Cashier, Receptionist, Booking Agent and a Hostess at the same time?

I was and am prob. the only one here who faces the CEO of CIBC bank in the morning who was on his way to this huge meeting with many of the big names that you might only see in newspaper or not even on TV, while a few hours later, I am working with a lot of those " nobody's" like myself from all across the planet arranging racks, cleaning floors and deal with supervisors who don't know your name let alone what you do!!!

Anyway ...

This is my topic, this is my thread and if you dont like my tone or attitude, there is the door, use it! :mad:

I am not going to offer anybody here, my apologies and I am despite of my upcoming plans still trying so hard my best to find a solution and to see if I can stay here because no matter how good or pleasant life in Europe might be, it is still a boring place where one is limited in his or her movements and subject to boredom and where people have become like zombies too and so passive because it doesn't matter if you work hard or not, if you network or not, you will be taken care of nicely by the government anyway and so, who cares, let's live our own life and if the neighbor is in trouble, we don't care because he or she can seek for a safety net unlike here, that people you don't know or have just met, can hear about your story and all do whatever they can to keep you here and help you stay or are trying to convince you to stay and are encouraging you to do that via emails, notes, phone calls etc, because they believe in you and even offer you a free place to stay as to cut in your expenses and give yourself time to seek for a job and go from there and that place is Canada.

Canada might not be the best place, but it does offer place for everybody and that everybody can become your friend and in time offer you help which is not the case across Europe. There your friends are your friend today, but gone tomorrow simply because they don't care much about anybody!

But yes, you can apply for a job online and the job is truly put online and the employer is truly seeking for somebody from outside because everybody else is expert in ONE certain field and because the employer can't find anybody from in within to fulfill the position and because nobody DOES know ANYBODY who is GOOD ENOUGH as to REFER TO and so yep, employer post the vacant positions online, you apply for them, you get the job and you sit there, doing the same for 30 years until you retire!

Anyways ...

I say it again, I have friends from all over the planet and many of whom I made friends with here and they did help me to understand them better and believe in humanity which I had lost all hope on living in the Netherlands!

You go and figure!!!

But this is why we are here, this is why I AM HERE! to gather all and everybody together, create harmony and one VOICE, AND USE THIS PLATFORM TO RAISE OUR VOICE and say at loud that we are not NOBODY'S but each qualified excellent workers with real dreams and wishes and all seeking for a life in a country that should be the place to be because of the space to grow, because of the recognition and because of the RIGHT attitude! ... and so nobody needs to seek for a survival job and lose his or her precious money on an ideal that might leave you empty handed at the end.

IF you want to live in Canada, you MUST bring in your fresh fun open attitude to it and you should be able to set aside that awfully ackward American style attitude that the Canadians have made themselves too to sue each other, to feel offended, to feel insulted to feel this and that and all of which totally nonsense leading to nowhere and be able to create a place where co-workers can have fun at work, supervisor can see them and be one with them and all together make it a fun place to live and work.

The only place in Canada, at work, that I truly did feel that " harmony" and I am quite honest about it, was Scotia Bank!

I 've been working as temp for quite some companies and been to numerous interviews and have seen numerous employers first handedly, even Manulife and all that, but the only place I was treated equally and like a "person" and felt being appreciated was at the Bank of Nova Scotia!

That has limited me in my choices and because I can't get a job there, I am leaving. Because I know that elsewhere, I am not going to be happy and end up a zombie, dealing with a lot of fears and this and that issues, living a life I can't accept to live and because I am not going to accept working on a survival job and take me like 5 to 7 years to end up at the start of my career like 10 years ago in the Netherlands and so I 've made a choice and am going back.

At least I can go back home now and tell people that I had a great time working at a great company, was shown appreciation and where I for a short while felt like one with all and all for one and really having fun with some co-workers and running around in the PATH and in prof. attire and feeling like I am a part of the big world out there and above all enjoying the skyscrapers! :p

The rest, will be a bitter saur memory and not much I shall or would like to recall.

at the end,

Thank you all for your support, for your encouraging words and your open friendly attitude and for the many mails I 've received telling me to stay and giving it a try.

Only one color can convince me to stay here and that will be the color of RED and only one letter will be able to keep me here and that will be the letter " S".

for the rest, I totally have no interest what so ever left as to give it a try because I 've seen pretty much all of the rest of the big names and good names out there and if they are not much of a good fun right place to be at, what should I and would I expect from the little guys there? NOTHING!

Now, I am stepping back and hear what you all shall add into this thread and hopefully, those who tend to attack me, will at least for once open their mouth and say and add something useful to this thread and share with us their PERSONAL experience and enlightend us with their fantastic positive fun experiences and the reasons why they are here and not asking me to do this and that or blaming me for being that and this!!!!

My answer to those will be "dream on!" . I shall not do what I never did and never intended or meant and if you want to turn this whole thread into some silly ackward place to outrage your anger and backslash on each and everybody who has been doing you unjustice and unfair in your life, please be leaving and let us discuss our hopes, plans, ideas and all that that really matters.

@ Caribgirl: I am sorry to hear that your ex-husband did leave you and two kids for an American dream if I understand it correctly. I wish you have followed him back then and so not be forced to go through all the pain and suffering on your own in Denmark. I know Denmark, it is not my first choice either to live in. It is even so picture perfect that one does need to ask himself, is it worth living in such perfection at all????

But you are a mother now and like many mothers, mine included, you have to sacrifice yourself for sometime to come and think of the two boys and allow them to at least graduate from a great university there and then apply or move elsewhere.

I suppose it will be much better for your two sons to continue education here in Canada which in most cases leads to a job here and they make it home anyway. They ll be happy, you ll be happy, right now, you might find it harsh finding a job and you can not survive living on a minimum wage with two growing teenagers! Think about that, I rather see you in the Netherlands than in Denmark and I mean it, but not in Canada at this stage in your life. OK?

Big Hugs and am proud of you for being such a good mother. They are treasured with you, a woman who is prepared to sacrifice herself totally for a good cause, but that might not be worth it now and you live only once and you are a human being too and you need to ALSO think of yourself! No need to repeat the misery all over again and age faster than necessary or needed for a reason that might not be a good reason at this moment in time.

Big Hugs to you
:)
My jaw dropped after reading this, its sad you chose to leave canada!
This scenario of somebody getting so frustrated is something i have already seen while I was in the UK, though am surprised that somebody who was so mature with your approach towards life too had to experience all this. Very unfortunate.

I still appreciate how you stretched yourself to be optimistic initially but burst out when you really couldn't take it anymore. :p

Good luck on whatever you are doing and wherever you are now. :)

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
rahulk9 said:
You are completely missing the point. Because of having a med school every where, the quality of education has degraded. Those doctors claiming to drive taxi are no good doctors in India as well. If the Canadian system is not hiring them, then they are protecting there people. If they are such good doctors they can always come back to India and start practicing. If you think Software engineers are not leaving this country then you have serious misconceptions. Sunder Pichai, Satya Nadella are just of the lot that we have lost to USA. In fact you hardly hear of any new start up coming from India.

If you ask Indians why they are immigrating then majority will answer for better life. That is the truth. I am an honest person and I don't live in a fantasy land of patriotism. My country is a corrupt nation and there is very less scope of growth. This is a hard fact but anyone living in this country knows what I am talking about.
My dear namesake,
Let us face it. There IS another reason why Indians immigrate to western countries. Most of us have this glamorized idea of how things are in western countries. We also have this irrational fascination with all things western. It's not as if we are incapable of leading a good life here in India. I live in India, run my own business (two businesses, actually). We are a four-car household with five members (one of whom is my four-year old daughter). We live in a four bedroom penthouse flat. A lot of my friends don't do as well as I do. A few do a lot better than I do. You know what category I belong to in India? That vast populous group called the "middle class". Not the rich, not the poor.
Yes, there's a lot of corruption. Yes, I pay a lot of taxes. No, my tax rupees don't get me the best infrastructure. Does this make my life in India unliveable? No. Am I persecuted because of who I am? You know the caste system is really rigid in India, except that it has turned 180 degrees, in that Brahmins are now put down in every possible way. As a Brahmin, I had to pay a little more for my education, study harder, and prove myself more. In the long run, that did me a favour.
Moving on, I spent about six years on and off in the US. Didn't have the best experience there. Came back to India, and joined my Dad's organization, as well as setting up my own firm. Doing reasonably well, in that I've managed to put away enough, so that I won't starve even if don't get projects for the next couple of years. And yet, here I am, applying to immigrate to Canada. Got my PER, waiting for my MR. Looking forward to try my luck in Canada in spite of all the horror stories I've heard here. Irrational thinking on my part? You bet your a**.

CAJan

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2014
Nomination.....
13-11-2014
AOR Received.
02-12-2014
File Transfer...
18-03-2015
Med's Request
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
02-04-2015
Passport Req..
21-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-05-2015
Flute said:
Read these 2 threads, to understand my experience of living in Canada since last 5 years.

REVISED V2.0: Discrimination against visible minorities in Canada

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/revised-v20-discrimination-against-visible-minorities-in-canada-t276789.0.html

Visible minorities, pay heed - The grass is not green in Canada

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visible-minorities-pay-heed-the-grass-is-not-green-in-canada-t277387.0.html
Do you seriously need to spam all threads with your very subjective and unfortunate story? Do you have an issue that many people do experience a happy life in Canada? Certainly, you can share whatever you like but I have a problem with people who desperately try to destroy the dreams of others just because you could not make it.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
CAJan said:
Do you seriously need to spam all threads with your very subjective and unfortunate story? Do you have an issue that many people do experience a happy life in Canada? Certainly, you can share whatever you like but I have a problem with people who desperately try to destroy the dreams of others just because you could not make it.
CAJan - You have still not landed in Canada. Once you start living here, you will understand what I am talking about. I think you are from Hong Kong. Most people who are from Hong Kong and China who immigrate to Canada try to survive by finding a Chinese manager. Usually, they find Chinese managers in their church in Canada. White Canadian managers usually don't hire or entertain Chinese immigrants who speak English with a heavy Chinese accent. Those who are from mainland China speak broken English, or don't speak any English at all, while those who are from Hong Kong usually demonstrate moderate level of proficiency in English, given that Hong Kong was a British colony. Yet immigrants from Hong Kong tend to speak English with a heavy Chinese accent. Apart from this, I have observed that most Chinese have great deal of difficulty in adjusting in Canada. This is because over 90% of Chinese are from the Han race. That means, they are not used to diversity at all. China and Hong Kong are 2 of the most homogenous countries in the world. So when Chinese immigrants arrive in Canada, they tend to cling to fellow Chinese people in Canada. They invariably live in or around China town or one of the Chinese ethnic enclaves in whichever city they live in. While they are in office, they mix exclusively with Chinese people and barely talk to people from other backgrounds. Nothing wrong with that. Only issue is many Canadian cities are extremely diverse. Over 50% of Toronto's population is foreign born. So if you work at any place, you will likely encounter people of all kinds (black, white, brown etc) from every continent on earth. Chinese people, I have seen, are extremely uncomfortable in such settings. While working in office, they tend to exclusively socialize with fellow Chinese. If a Chinese person ever becomes a manager, that person tends to exclusively hire fellow Chinese. I don't consider this racism at all (unlike the behaviour of white people). Rather, I consider Chinese people to be socially handicapped or socially disadvantaged because they are not exposed to diversity in their home countries, since over 90% of Chinese population belongs to the Han race who speak one of the two languages - Mandarin or Cantonese. Compare this with many other countries in Asia or Africa, where within each country, one can observe multiple races who speak multiple languages. So those people have a much better shot at survival in Canada since they are used to tolerating heterogeneous environments. So yes, once you land here, your rosy dreams are about to be badly shattered and reality will soon sink in. At that time, you will remember my post and cry :p

CAJan

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2014
Nomination.....
13-11-2014
AOR Received.
02-12-2014
File Transfer...
18-03-2015
Med's Request
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
02-04-2015
Passport Req..
21-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-05-2015
Flute said:
CAJan - You have still not landed in Canada. Once you start living here, you will understand what I am talking about. I think you are from Hong Kong. Most people who are from Hong Kong and China who immigrate to Canada try to survive by finding a Chinese manager. Usually, they find Chinese managers in their church in Canada. White Canadian managers usually don't hire or entertain Chinese immigrants who speak English with a heavy Chinese accent. Those who are from mainland China speak broken English, or don't speak any English at all, while those who are from Hong Kong usually demonstrate moderate level of proficiency in English, given that Hong Kong was a British colony. Yet immigrants from Hong Kong tend to speak English with a heavy Chinese accent. Apart from this, I have observed that most Chinese have great deal of difficulty in adjusting in Canada. This is because over 90% of Chinese are from the Han race. That means, they are not used to diversity at all. China and Hong Kong are 2 of the most homogenous countries in the world. So when Chinese immigrants arrive in Canada, they tend to cling to fellow Chinese people in Canada. They invariably live in or around China town or one of the Chinese ethnic enclaves in whichever city they live in. While they are in office, they mix exclusively with Chinese people and barely talk to people from other backgrounds. Nothing wrong with that. Only issue is many Canadian cities are extremely diverse. Over 50% of Toronto's population is foreign born. So if you work at any place, you will likely encounter people of all kinds (black, white, brown etc) from every continent on earth. Chinese people, I have seen, are extremely uncomfortable in such settings. While working in office, they tend to exclusively socialize with fellow Chinese. If a Chinese person ever becomes a manager, they also tend to hire exclusively hire fellow Chinese. I don't consider this racism at all (unlike the behaviour of white people). Rather, I consider Chinese people to be socially handicapped or socially disadvantaged because they are not exposed to diversity in their home countries, since over 90% of Chinese population belongs to the Han race who speak one of the two languages - Mandarin or Cantonese. Compare this with many other countries in Asia or Africa, where within each country, one can observe multiple races who speak multiple languages. So those people have a much better shot at survival in Canada since they are used to tolerating heterogeneous environments. So yes, once you land here, your rosy dreams are about to be badly shattered and reality will soon sink in. At that time, you will remember my post and cry :p
The funny thing about your post is, that even though I am currently living in China, I am not a Chinese citizen. I am a Western expat who currently lives and works in China. Even though I consider your views as racism against Chinese (if White managers hire only White people, it's racism, but if Chinese managers only Chinese, it's fine, yeah? :D), it does not bother we at all. But funny that you try to explain to ME what Chinese people are like and how they work. ;)

Too bad that your post is based on too many wrong assumptions. :D Have a good life, but please give all others here a chance to make their experiences on their own

stilldreaming

Dec 7, 2014
CAJan said:
The funny thing about your post is, that even though I am currently living in China, I am not a Chinese citizen. I am a Western expat who currently lives and works in China. Even though I consider your views as racism against Chinese (if White managers hire only White people, it's racism, but if Chinese managers only Chinese, it's fine, yeah? :D), it does not bother we at all. But funny that you try to explain to ME what Chinese people are like and how they work. ;)

Too bad that your post is based on too many wrong assumptions. :D Have a good life, but please give all others here a chance to make their experiences on their own
No, you are most definitely not a Western expat. There is something about the construction of your sentences that reveals this. Also the a Western expat's way of handling immigration concerns will not match the sense of urgency visible in the posts you have made. in any case, if you are a Western expat, and look like the western expats then the issue of discrimination against visible minorities is inapplicable to you.

It is not clear though why being called a Chinese is so unwelcome to you? But Flute was telling you that if you were Chinese then you will not be exposed to discrimination, because most Chinese find their own contacts or set up their own business with the money they brought over from China (or Hong Kong, since it is part of China and is used a lot as a conduit for money transfers out of China mainland).

But returning to the point, there was no racism in what Flute wrote, he was just stating a fact, but the way you were offended does imply an upbringing that can most certainly not be that of a 'Western expat'. Where we are born and raised, i.e. income levels, 'western' or 'third world' countries, competing with large populations, all affects our responses to people verbally and in writing.

CAJan

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2014
Nomination.....
13-11-2014
AOR Received.
02-12-2014
File Transfer...
18-03-2015
Med's Request
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
02-04-2015
Passport Req..
21-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-05-2015
stilldreaming said:
No, you are most definitely not a Western expat. There is something about the construction of your sentences that reveals this. Also the a Western expat's way of handling immigration concerns will not match the sense of urgency visible in the posts you have made. in any case, if you are a Western expat, and look like the western expats then the issue of discrimination against visible minorities is inapplicable to you.

It is not clear though why being called a Chinese is so unwelcome to you? But Flute was telling you that if you were Chinese then you will not be exposed to discrimination, because most Chinese find their own contacts or set up their own business with the money they brought over from China (or Hong Kong, since it is part of China and is used a lot as a conduit for money transfers out of China mainland).

But returning to the point, there was no racism in what Flute wrote, he was just stating a fact, but the way you were offended does imply an upbringing that can most certainly not be that of a 'Western expat'. Where we are born and raised, i.e. income levels, 'western' or 'third world' countries, competing with large populations, all affects our responses to people verbally and in writing.
Oh dear, it almost seems like flute got a second nick to support his own posts.

Anyway, it is great to have some linguists here besides our previous China expert, who are able to match the construction of sentences with the author's ethnic background. Respect to that! ;)

So you are trying to conclude from the way that I write that I cannot be a Western guy, also because I have a problem with the way flute is talking about Chinese people? Sure, Western people do certainly never have any sense of fairness and would never jump in if people talk bad about Asian or any non-Western people.

It seems like that your views are a bit too narrow-minded, if not even racist.

Honestly, getting adjusted as a Westerner to the life in mainland China without even having any Chinese language skills is certainly more difficult than becoming integrated into Canada. That's why I am quite relaxed.

You wonder why you sense some urgency in my posts? That's simply because I want to leave China soonish due to various reasons. China has always been a temporary destination to me and after 3 years have passed now, it's simply time for a change.

You are confused why my English does not sound native to you? This could simply be because of the fact that not all Western countries speak natively English, but maybe that's also something that does not fit your very generalized views about Westerners.

By the way, I am planning to move to Toronto - if you should ever be around anytime from the second half of this year, drop me a message and let's meet so that I can see the surprise in your eyes when you look into my white, European face. ;)

Enough about races and all the negativity that has been spread in this thread. I just prefer that people support others. It is certainly fine to also share concerns and negative views, as long as the tone is appropriate. That is simply what I was missing here. Cheers!

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
CAJan said:
Oh dear, it almost seems like flute got a second nick to support his own posts.

Honestly, getting adjusted as a Westerner to the life in mainland China without even having any Chinese language skills is certainly more difficult than becoming integrated into Canada. That's why I am quite relaxed.
I am European, and yes, I imagine adapting to China is much harder than adapting to Canada. Well, I actually live in Canada and it is quite easy..

stilldreaming

Dec 7, 2014
polara69 said:
I am European, and yes, I imagine adapting to China is much harder than adapting to Canada. Well, I actually live in Canada and it is quite easy..
But in another post in Visa office Oceania section you say that you are from NZ-
'Same here, my wife and I are NZers, but we love Canada and its proximity to places. Otherwise we have similar reasons as Kiwi guy mentioned. Australia was never a contender, too many Aussies! '

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
stilldreaming said:
But in another post in Visa office Oceania section you say that you are from NZ-
'Same here, my wife and I are NZers, but we love Canada and its proximity to places. Otherwise we have similar reasons as Kiwi guy mentioned. Australia was never a contender, too many Aussies! '
That is also correct, my friend. I have two passports, one from Switzerland and one from New Zealand. In any case this makes me a person of European descent, okay?

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Flute said:
CAJan - You have still not landed in Canada. Once you start living here, you will understand what I am talking about. I think you are from Hong Kong. Most people who are from Hong Kong and China who immigrate to Canada try to survive by finding a Chinese manager. Usually, they find Chinese managers in their church in Canada. White Canadian managers usually don't hire or entertain Chinese immigrants who speak English with a heavy Chinese accent. Those who are from mainland China speak broken English, or don't speak any English at all, while those who are from Hong Kong usually demonstrate moderate level of proficiency in English, given that Hong Kong was a British colony. Yet immigrants from Hong Kong tend to speak English with a heavy Chinese accent. Apart from this, I have observed that most Chinese have great deal of difficulty in adjusting in Canada. This is because over 90% of Chinese are from the Han race. That means, they are not used to diversity at all. China and Hong Kong are 2 of the most homogenous countries in the world. So when Chinese immigrants arrive in Canada, they tend to cling to fellow Chinese people in Canada. They invariably live in or around China town or one of the Chinese ethnic enclaves in whichever city they live in. While they are in office, they mix exclusively with Chinese people and barely talk to people from other backgrounds. Nothing wrong with that. Only issue is many Canadian cities are extremely diverse. Over 50% of Toronto's population is foreign born. So if you work at any place, you will likely encounter people of all kinds (black, white, brown etc) from every continent on earth. Chinese people, I have seen, are extremely uncomfortable in such settings. While working in office, they tend to exclusively socialize with fellow Chinese. If a Chinese person ever becomes a manager, that person tends to exclusively hire fellow Chinese. I don't consider this racism at all (unlike the behaviour of white people). Rather, I consider Chinese people to be socially handicapped or socially disadvantaged because they are not exposed to diversity in their home countries, since over 90% of Chinese population belongs to the Han race who speak one of the two languages - Mandarin or Cantonese. Compare this with many other countries in Asia or Africa, where within each country, one can observe multiple races who speak multiple languages. So those people have a much better shot at survival in Canada since they are used to tolerating heterogeneous environments. So yes, once you land here, your rosy dreams are about to be badly shattered and reality will soon sink in. At that time, you will remember my post and cry :p
On the other side of the coin, there are many high ranking jobs which require you to speak Mandarin in Canada. Yes, specifically in the banking and investments industry, plus a lot of import-export as well as manufacturing. Specially in the cities of Vancouver and Richmond in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. But you've written some things I agree with you so far hahaha. Why the chinese even after becoming a globalized nation find it uncomfortable to interact with other nationalities and ethnicities is beyond me by now.

Edgar Poe

Apr 10, 2015
My thoughts and prayers for you Charlottej
I hope your now doing great back in Holland.

Yes, this nation needs immigrants' fortune as they come here by the score of thousands every year. It had became part of canadas economy for years.
30+ million population, stagnant to deteriorating economy = the need of monetary influx to jolt its ailing markets. Well, its either that or borrow at world bank

Best case for immigrants from places other than Europe, US or Australia is wait for your Canadian passport and work for countries that will take you for your merit and portfolio rather than class or difference in language or skin tone.

You'll be a fool not to ask why the country still accepts immigrants on the fact people here are loosing jobs?
If the FSW is truly an immigration tend to fill the need of local vacancy, Feds would have invited immigrants with no money, nor skills. But on the merit he/ she will add to the population workforce. But reality is contradictory. Thus proving a point.

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
I am shock that the OP decided to leave Canada after taking so much effort and jumping so many hoops to get into here. Grass is always greener elsewhere but in Canada there are too many broken dreams of immigrants. I started to feel as if Canada is the biggest con of the whole century and the amount of sufferings that the immigration systems put on skilled workers is so much that it maybe inhumane to keep luring too highly skilled workers here

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
canadadreamming said:
I am shock that the OP decided to leave Canada after taking so much effort and jumping so many hoops to get into here. Grass is always greener elsewhere but in Canada there are too many broken dreams of immigrants. I started to feel as if Canada is the biggest con of the whole century and the amount of sufferings that the immigration systems put on skilled workers is so much that it maybe inhumane to keep luring too highly skilled workers here
well canada is just like any country, there are pros and cons. One has to weigh both and see if it makes sense to move or not. Even after living here for a while if things don't go well - other options should be considered.

If i remember correctly, the OP came from the netherlands, which is a dream destination for many - while for those who came from 3rd world countries, although life might be difficult here, but there's still hope for things improving while in some third world countries there might be no hope at all.

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
emamabd said:
well canada is just like any country, there are pros and cons. One has to weigh both and see if it makes sense to move or not. Even after living here for a while if things don't go well - other options should be considered.

If i remember correctly, the OP came from the netherlands, which is a dream destination for many - while for those who came from 3rd world countries, although life might be difficult here, but there's still hope for things improving while in some third world countries there might be no hope at all.
I talked to many immigrants who came from third world countries and the number 1 reason why they ended up in Canada is because they want to finally be in the USA but the US does not have a immigration systems that give them any chance to move there. So they have to go the indirect way of obtaining the Canadian citizenship or PR and use that as a stepping stone to move to USA. Even so many regret spending their youth and most beautiful years in Canada. For me, I am lucky to have a job when I landed here but even with that life is not easy in Canada. The office politics in Canada is just so immense and people here are extremely worried for their job security, so much that they worship their bosses, try all they can to push other colleagues down. The hiring practice here is extremely unfair, people recommend the people they know for sure will not harm them later so they only recruit their family, friends, etc. Indian will hire only Indian, Chinese only recruit Chinese, Fillipino only consider Fillipino applicants etc. Walk into any Canadian office and you can see the fact that diversity is nothing here, when the boss is Indian, the entire team are also Indian, and same as any other race. New commers are especially vulnerable as they do not have the established networks and as such as they are pushed down to the lowest segment in the society.

If the US immigration is more merit based and give any slim hope for immigrants from third world country, or if the NAFTA visa is abolished, nobody would ever want to go to Canada I believe.