+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My ex broke up with me when I moved to Canada

heartbroke

Nov 18, 2010
Hi, again I have applied to every single job in the market. It's been a a month since I left and like I said I have resumes out there but it takes time to get a job. Times are hard and trust me when I take my resume to Wal-mart and they see I have a Bachelors in Business Admin and have 4 years of Investments advisor they know that I'm looking for a temporary job. These low income jobs don't want a person for a month or so....or want someone who is desperate they want people who can commit. I can lie and say I do, but they know based on my resume that I'm desperate for something short term.

Teriskier

Star Member
Jun 22, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2010
Med's Done....
14-06-2010
heartbroke said:
Hi, again I have applied to every single job in the market. It's been a a month since I left and like I said I have resumes out there but it takes time to get a job. Times are hard and trust me when I take my resume to Wal-mart and they see I have a Bachelors in Business Admin and have 4 years of Investments advisor they know that I'm looking for a temporary job. These low income jobs don't want a person for a month or so....or want someone who is desperate they want people who can commit. I can lie and say I do, but they know based on my resume that I'm desperate for something short term.
What firm were you working for in the states? They probably have either a satellite office or a partner here in Canada. If you left on good terms it shouldn't be nearly as challenging. Additionally go into your community and volunteer...that way you have local sources that you can call upon as a reference (at least while you wait).

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The forum is really about immigration.
What your ex feels and what both of you did cannot be fixed here.

So, ...
you want to stay in Canada,
you do not want to be on welfare,
jobs are hard,

Sadly that is what many people are dealing with at this time.

Remember that Holiday jobs are there, so they are by nature temporary, use that to your advantage.

Thy key point is as HoneyBird said, move on.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have been here a year and have not worked. Why not go back to the States and at least check out your options there. It doesn't sound like you are happy here. What do you have to lose. You likely may be eligible for medicare/medicaid.
Asking your ex to sponsor you on welfare is simply not fair to her.
Don't think I am being prejudice. My new Canadian wife is asking me to move back to the States, where I gave up everything to be with her.

Life is not fair, but the truth and reality of it is life has given us much more than we have ever given back. The illusion of it is that some have more than others. But again one man/woman's contentment/happiness is priceless compared to another's great wealth $$$.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
beauhoe said:
Something very strange is happenning on this forum...
i concur.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe there should be a counselling forum, very quiet and distant from all the immigration stuff?

arron

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
Welfare is useless. It's $540 bucks a month, which isn't enough to live on, period. If you have no fixed address and are not paying rent it goes down to around $200 a month. Don't bother with welfare, it's a waste of time. Even the worst paying job will pay more than welfare.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arron said:
Welfare is useless. It's $540 bucks a month, which isn't enough to live on, period. If you have no fixed address and are not paying rent it goes down to around $200 a month. Don't bother with welfare, it's a waste of time. Even the worst paying job will pay more than welfare.
There is a reason it is like that, incentive...

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
It's easy - forget your ex. Make your own life.

If you want that life to be in Canada, then get a job - any job. I don't know where you are but in Alberta there are jobs available everywhere in the $10-12 per hour range. It's enough money to rent a room. Work, save, stay warm, go to night school...whatever you can to make your life better up here. At least your medical expenses will be covered. Come to Alberta and work on the oil rigs - accomodation will be provided and you will make good money.

If you don't want to be here, then go home, let your family help you out until there is a job available for you in the US.

Forget her. Be grateful you're in Canada and work towards a better life.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
heartbroke said:
Maybe you aren't smart enough to work at Wal-Mart...it's pretty easy to dumb down a resume. My husband (who has a masters in IT management) just left out his education on his resume, added some of the more menial jobs he has done in the past and easily got himself a job at Walmart doing overnights so he can still go to job interviews in IT during the day.

It's pretty common sense. You write your own resume, it isn't printed on your forhead.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
I feel for ya.. but with your degree you an go to placement agency and they will find something for you. At least the ball will start rolling..

Good Luck