+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My dream is ruined

Julie111

Sep 19, 2018
For the past 6 years ive been dreaming about returning to Canada for good, but I did it all wrong...
I was hoping you can help...
I immigrated to Canada with my family as a teen(I was 15) back in 2011, and lived in Toronto for a year. We had financial issues and had to go back...My PR expired while I was outside of Canada (before it expired I didnt stay in Canada for 2 years therefore there was nothing to do about it back then). A year later, When I wanted to travel to Canada for a vacation, I was told in the Ambessy that I HAVE NO CHOICE but to cancel my PR! I was very suspicous about this and clearly stated that I wish to go back and live in Canada in the future. I was told that theres no other choice but to start the process all over again. I believed them and cancelled my pr. Recently I was reading online about so many other ways to come back to Canada without cancelling the PR. with tears I understand the mistake I made. I didnt even end up travelling. Do you have any suggestions?I wanna regain my PR as I want to go back and live in Canada and I dont find it fair to have to do the process all over again... Can I do something regarding the wrong information I recieved from the Ambessy? Is there a way to demand my PR back? For what its worth, I was under 18 when I first had my pr, My dad and the rest of my family still have their expired pr. and I have some family members that still live in Canada.
Im hopeless as I searched for answers everywhere and I dont know what to do...
Thanks anyways

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For the past 6 years ive been dreaming about returning to Canada for good, but I did it all wrong...
I was hoping you can help...
I immigrated to Canada with my family as a teen(I was 15) back in 2011, and lived in Toronto for a year. We had financial issues and had to go back...My PR expired while I was outside of Canada (before it expired I didnt stay in Canada for 2 years therefore there was nothing to do about it back then). A year later, When I wanted to travel to Canada for a vacation, I was told in the Ambessy that I HAVE NO CHOICE but to cancel my PR! I was very suspicous about this and clearly stated that I wish to go back and live in Canada in the future. I was told that theres no other choice but to start the process all over again. I believed them and cancelled my pr. Recently I was reading online about so many other ways to come back to Canada without cancelling the PR. with tears I understand the mistake I made. I didnt even end up travelling. Do you have any suggestions?I wanna regain my PR as I want to go back and live in Canada and I dont find it fair to have to do the process all over again... Can I do something regarding the wrong information I recieved from the Ambessy? Is there a way to demand my PR back? For what its worth, I was under 18 when I first had my pr, My dad and the rest of my family still have their expired pr. and I have some family members that still live in Canada.
Im hopeless as I searched for answers everywhere and I dont know what to do...
Thanks anyways
Your PR status is gone since you officially renounced it. It's not possible to restore your old PR status once you have renounced it.

Your only option to become a permanent resident again is to qualify and apply from scratch for PR under one of Canada's economic immigration programs. Canada has a number of different immigration programs. You'll need to research these programs to understand what it takes to qualify and apply. I would recommend you start by reading up on the Express Entry program. You can find the full details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

This is a points-based program so those with the most points are selected based on level of education, work experience, funds to support yourself in Canada, age and other factors. As of now you need to have 440+ points to be selected. You must also have at least one year of full time paid work experience in a skilled profession to qualify.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are many way you can return to Canada but you will have to apply like everyone else. There is nothing you can do to regain your PR at this point. Although many minors are able to regain their PR status if they are removed as minors it is not guaranteed and usually must be done as soon as possible when you turn 18 and it seems like you are in your early mid 20s.

Julie111

Sep 19, 2018
Theoratically, if the PR expires and you dont renounce it, youre still able to return to Canada?
Your PR status is gone since you officially renounced it. It's not possible to restore your old PR status once you have renounced it.

Your only option to become a permanent resident again is to qualify and apply from scratch for PR under one of Canada's economic immigration programs. Canada has a number of different immigration programs. You'll need to research these programs to understand what it takes to qualify and apply. I would recommend you start by reading up on the Express Entry program. You can find the full details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

This is a points-based program so those with the most points are selected based on level of education, work experience, funds to support yourself in Canada, age and other factors. As of now you need to have 440+ points to be selected. You must also have at least one year of full time paid work experience in a skilled profession to qualify.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Theoratically, if the PR expires and you dont renounce it, youre still able to return to Canada?
The short answer is "it depends". However this is an irrelevant discussion in your case since you clearly renounced or canceled your PR status. There is no getting it back once this is done. The only option available is to reapply from scratch. If returning to Canada permanently is important to you - then your focus should be on researching Canada's economic immigration programs and doing what it takes to qualify and apply. Again, your old PR status is long gone.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
What the embassy told you was correct. The other workarounds you find around this forum all involve risky methods or actions that may cause a border denial or compel them to misrepresent details about their residency. They usually only work for someone who's residency obligation is just months short of the minimum, not someone who's been six years away. You couldn't even board a plane to Canada with your expired PR.