+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My boyfriend is Canadian and I'm American. What can I do about my pregnancy?

gmar002

Apr 25, 2014
I moved into my Canadian boyfriend's apartment in Montreal, Quebec 3 months ago. We recently found out we are expecting and are happy as well as very worried because we don't know how to get covered by healthcare. Im unemployed at the moment and don't have a work permit. Im here with a 6 month tourist visa.
Is there anyway I can get free healthcare quickly?
Thank you

beinghuman

Star Member
Dec 20, 2013
Apply for MSP's temporary premium assistance program. You il get a relief for only one year.

BTW Congratulations! Cheers :D

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beinghuman said:
Apply for MSP's temporary premium assistance program. You il get a relief for only one year.

BTW Congratulations! Cheers :D
1. The MSP Temporary Premium Assistance Program is for BC only. The OP is in Quebec.
2. In BC it only provides relief for individuals/families who cannot afford their MSP premiums. Applicant(s) must already be enrolled in MSP ... it does not provide a waiver/mechanism to allow someone who is ineligible for health coverage to somehow obtain it, even temporarily.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gmar002 said:
Is there anyway I can get free healthcare quickly?
You don't qualify for provincial healthcare in Quebec.

See this thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pregnancy-and-child-birth-costs-montreal-quebec-t114381.0.html. Midwifes and/or women's clinics often provide low-cost or even free care for pregnant women.

However, that hinges entirely on having a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy and birth. You must understand that if there are any complications that require you to give birth in a hospital, you will have no coverage. I believe it costs at least $2000-$3000 for a normal birth; the costs can skyrocket quickly if you need a C-section or require any further hospitalization after the birth, upwards of $10 000 or more.

gmar002

Apr 25, 2014
What if we decide to get married? Will I then qualify for provincial healthcare in quebec? And how long will it take? Please help me with all possible options.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
gmar002 said:
What if we decide to get married? Will I then qualify for provincial healthcare in quebec? And how long will it take? Please help me with all possible options.
You'll still only be a "visitor"...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gmar002 said:
But if we get married, wont I be a Canadian citizen?
Are you kidding?? Marrying a Canadian doesn't even give you the right to live in Canada, let alone citizenship.

You are visitor in Canada; you will soon have to either immigrate or leave the country. You should seriously start looking at the immigration process.

Once you are married or common-law, your partner can sponsor you for permanent residency. Even if you get married immediately, with the time it takes to get an application together, you're looking at around a year and at least $1500 to become a PR.

The current law requires you to live in Canada as a Permanent Resident for 3 out of the previous 4 years in order to be eligible for citizenship but that is likely to change to 4 out of the past 6 years soon. A citizenship app then takes 1-2 years to be processed.

It's possible you could be a Canadian Citizen in 6 years or so.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
gmar002 said:
But if we get married, wont I be a Canadian citizen?
I think that you are going to need to start learning how the system *actually* works... You also need to be thinking about what to do when your visa expires in about 3 months. Oh, and one other thing, having a Canadian citizen child gives you no extra immigration status.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Once you are married or common-law, your partner can sponsor you for permanent residency. Even if you get married immediately, with the time it takes to get an application together, you're looking at around a year and at least $1500 to become a PR.
Processing times aren't quite as bad as that.... From a quick look at the CPP-Ottawa spreadsheet, it looks like Outland US applications are processing in about 6-7 months. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq6VF-LGjkR9dGNpLUxQZ1Z0Mm80aE5ZWDBvWklEQUE#gid=0 So, assuming you get married tomorrow and don't procrastinate on your application, you MAY be able to get coverage just before you give birth. (I think Quebec will cover pregnancy immediately after landing.) No guarantees though. Otherwise, you will have to pay out-of-pocket. Keep in mind, out-of-pocket in Canada is not quite as crazy as out-of-pocket in the US (say, if c-section is $10K, it would be $100K+ in the US). Call the billing offices of hospitals in Montreal and ask. They usually have a standard price schedule (though unexpected complications obviously add costs). Also, if your PR application is in process, but not complete at birth, the hospital billing office may be willing to work with you. Finally, you can go back to the US. Since you're unemployed, you may qualify for Medicaid, which will cover childbirth. You need to look into the requirements for the specific state. Your child will probably be a dual citizen regardless of where he/she is born (there are some exceptions for Canadian citizens by descent and US citizens who haven't lived in the US for long). GL

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
margobear96 said:
Processing times aren't quite as bad as that.... From a quick look at the CPP-Ottawa spreadsheet, it looks like Outland US applications are processing in about 6-7 months. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq6VF-LGjkR9dGNpLUxQZ1Z0Mm80aE5ZWDBvWklEQUE#gid=0 So, assuming you get married tomorrow and don't procrastinate on your application, you MAY be able to get coverage just before you give birth. (I think Quebec will cover pregnancy immediately after landing.) No guarantees though.
The problem with this plan is that a medical must be completed to be approved for PR and that medical includes a mandatory x-ray. The vast majority of doctors advise against taking an x-ray while pregnant since this can harm your unborn child.

veracity

Oct 26, 2015
I am in the ****EXACT*** same situation as this, RIGHT NOW!
(you even posted this on my birthday, Im taking this as a sign! haha goodness!)

After reading all the responses and already knowing most of what was said,
my question is what happened?

Did you end up going back to the US to have the baby?

Are you still residing in Montreal?

Were you able to get a first obgyn appt???

My bf and I are currently looking and obviously its not easy.
we are not married yet, but plan too in a couple weeks and hopefully get sponsored.

Im hoping you get this response! and or anyone here can help us!?
We are not wanted me to go back to the US to have the baby.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The OP hasn't been on the forum since May 2014.

The same advice applies. You don't qualify for Quebec healthcare as a visitor, regardless of your relationship with your Canadian partner.