+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My baby was born outside Canada for PR parents. How can our child get a PR?

NBK

Nov 12, 2014
Dear Members,
I and my wife became PR holders on June 17th, 2014 and when we got them, we were outside Canada. I resigned from my work and sold everything I have. At that time my wife was pregnant and we decided to have the baby delivered in Canada to avoid any immigration-related problems. However, there was an unexpected delay in the processing of our PR cards, and because of that delay, my wife had no choice but to deliver the baby in Jordan since it was really impossible for us to take the risk of flying across continents two weeks before the delivery due date. What are the options that are available to us to give the new born a PR? Can the baby get a PR while we are all outside Canada? Can we sponsor him while outside Canada?

If I decide to come to Canada after three years, for example, June, 16th, 2017, and live in Canada for the last two years (Residency obligation 730 days). Now once I renew the PR card, do I start counting 4 years of living in Canada or just the remaining two years to be eligible for citizenship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You cannot sponsor your child for PR from outside of Canada. One or both of you will have to return to Canada and sponsor your child from there - and remain in Canada while the sponsorship application is being processed. You can try applying for a TRV for your child which would enable to take your child with you as a visitor to Canadas while you apply for the child's PR status.

The citizenship and PR residency obligations are calculated separately. Once you have met the residency requirement for citizenship you can apply. It doesn't matter when you PR card expires or was renewed.