+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to US

iBlis

May 9, 2018
Hi All,

My wife and I recently became Canadian Citizens and were planning on moving to US.
My Company(a US based firm) is supporting this decision.
What would be the best visa category that I can ask the immigration lawyers to pursue, that also enables my wife to work in US?

She currently doesn't qualify for TN visa.
I also read on one of the forums that, as Canadian Citizen if I am on H1B and my wife who would be on H4 can apply for EAD (without I140) is that True?

Looking forward to your response.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,

My wife and I recently became Canadian Citizens and were planning on moving to US.
What would be the best visa category that I can ask the immigration lawyers to pursue, that also enables my wife to work in US?

I also read on one of the forums that, as Canadian Citizen if I am on H1B and my wife who would be on H4 can apply for EAD (without I140) is that True?

Ask on a US immigration forum.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi All,

Nope, thats not true. You need an approved i140 to get EAD for your spouse. This is nothing to do with your citizenship.

Nemozvven

Jan 18, 2024
I'm not an expert, but I think that the H1B for you and H4 for your wife is a common route. However, the EAD without I140 for H4 might be worth double-checking with an immigration lawyer for the latest info.

Speaking of moving, have you reached out to your company's HR for recommendations? They might have experience helping employees with cross-border moves. You can also contact a trustworthy moving company to help you with the move.

Acharya9099

Jul 26, 2021
In order for your wife to get an H4 EAD you should have an approved I140 which would take somewhere (PERM and I140) year or two.