AOR Received.
23-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
13-02-2012
LANDED..........
Landed on 15/11/2012. Awaiting COPR
I have been approved on the first stage of the process (Family sponsorship for spouse). I'm not sure how long stage 2 is going to take but was in discussion to move before a COPR has been issued to my wife. Has anyone done something like this before? My approval to Sponsor was on the 27th of June, my wife is British so VISA exempt and my children have been granted Canadian Citizenship because of me. I think London is working up to 7 months from paperwork received, the other thing is when they ask for your PPR, will they mail the documents back to Canada with a change of address? Once approved and get the COPR, do then have to go to an immigration office to sort the final bits out?? Is it worth doing this or would you think its too much of a hassle? Any information, experiences or comments would be great! Thanks.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Herjeet said:
I have been approved on the first stage of the process (Family sponsorship for spouse). I'm not sure how long stage 2 is going to take but was in discussion to move before a COPR has been issued to my wife. Has anyone done something like this before? My approval to Sponsor was on the 27th of June, my wife is British so VISA exempt and my children have been granted Canadian Citizenship because of me. I think London is working up to 7 months from paperwork received, the other thing is when they ask for your PPR, will they mail the documents back to Canada with a change of address? Once approved and get the COPR, do then have to go to an immigration office to sort the final bits out?? Is it worth doing this or would you think its too much of a hassle? Any information, experiences or comments would be great! Thanks.
hey Herjeet,

I'm planning on doing the same! I haven't done it yet, but researched quite a lot about it, and I am planning to do it.
Same case as you - going through London, coming from visa-exempt, and already approved as a sponsor. I'm moving beginning of October.

There is a chance that your PR ( or your wife's ) will be issued by then already, as London average is 7 months, but quite a few people get it in 2 to 3 months. depending on when you are planning to move of course.

There are quite a few people from visa exempt that move to Canada and wait out the rest of their PR there, so it should not be a problem. AS your wife is british, they won't actually ask for your passport, they will ask for copies of it, and they will send you by mail the COPR. It can be mailed to your address in Canada if you have moved already there. you can update your address to the London website, and you have enough time to do it.... so should be all good.

Main inconvenient is that your wife won't be covered by health insurance, and won't be able to work, but then again - if yo have kids and settling in, that might be an advantage!

once approved, you can either exit the border ( if you live close to the US for example) or go to the nearest international airport, and "land" there - complete the landings procedure that makes your wife an official PR. from what I have read, it is a rather easy and straightforward ( about 20 min procedure for most people).

I think it's worth doing it! :) but maybe that 's because I have chosen that. The main advantage for me is that like this I will have time to settle in, find a place to stay, get used to living in Canada - and once the COPR is issued, then I can start right away! and I also don't have to wait for CIC to book tickets and plan my life, because as I will enter as a tourist, I can start booking etc. So in that way it's easier than wiating to have the COPR and once it's finally there, having to organise everything, moving etc. For you with children it might allow them to start school in september in Canada already since they have a canadian passport.

I thought quite a lot about it and could not see any real disadvantage - apart from healthcare and not working - to wait out my PR there.

Hope it's helpful!

Good luck with the decision - you're a few weeks ahead of me, so I suppose that approvals for COPR should come rather close to each others...

Best,
Sweden

Herjeet

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Feb 2012
AOR Received.
23-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
13-02-2012
LANDED..........
Sweden said:
hey Herjeet,

I'm planning on doing the same! I haven't done it yet, but researched quite a lot about it, and I am planning to do it.
Same case as you - going through London, coming from visa-exempt, and already approved as a sponsor. I'm moving beginning of October.

There is a chance that your PR ( or your wife's ) will be issued by then already, as London average is 7 months, but quite a few people get it in 2 to 3 months. depending on when you are planning to move of course.

There are quite a few people from visa exempt that move to Canada and wait out the rest of their PR there, so it should not be a problem. AS your wife is british, they won't actually ask for your passport, they will ask for copies of it, and they will send you by mail the COPR. It can be mailed to your address in Canada if you have moved already there. you can update your address to the London website, and you have enough time to do it.... so should be all good.

Main inconvenient is that your wife won't be covered by health insurance, and won't be able to work, but then again - if yo have kids and settling in, that might be an advantage!

once approved, you can either exit the border ( if you live close to the US for example) or go to the nearest international airport, and "land" there - complete the landings procedure that makes your wife an official PR. from what I have read, it is a rather easy and straightforward ( about 20 min procedure for most people).

I think it's worth doing it! :) but maybe that 's because I have chosen that. The main advantage for me is that like this I will have time to settle in, find a place to stay, get used to living in Canada - and once the COPR is issued, then I can start right away! and I also don't have to wait for CIC to book tickets and plan my life, because as I will enter as a tourist, I can start booking etc. So in that way it's easier than wiating to have the COPR and once it's finally there, having to organise everything, moving etc. For you with children it might allow them to start school in september in Canada already since they have a canadian passport.

I thought quite a lot about it and could not see any real disadvantage - apart from healthcare and not working - to wait out my PR there.

Hope it's helpful!

Good luck with the decision - you're a few weeks ahead of me, so I suppose that approvals for COPR should come rather close to each others...

Best,
Sweden
Thanks Sweden! That helps a lot as I will most likely do this. I can put my kids in school and I can find work an will give my misses a chance to adapt to her new life. I can wait much longer and need to go back home!!! CIC process is such a lengthy pain as I need to give 3 months notice to my employers! You can't plan your life because of unpredictable timing from London Visa Office. Hope it works out for you and get your PR before you move! As I have been approved to sponsor I do not see a problem with my wife to be allowed to be issued with a COPR, lets hope it comes by September!! :-X

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Herjeet said:
Thanks Sweden! That helps a lot as I will most likely do this. I can put my kids in school and I can find work an will give my misses a chance to adapt to her new life. I can wait much longer and need to go back home!!! CIC process is such a lengthy pain as I need to give 3 months notice to my employers! You can't plan your life because of unpredictable timing from London Visa Office. Hope it works out for you and get your PR before you move! As I have been approved to sponsor I do not see a problem with my wife to be allowed to be issued with a COPR, lets hope it comes by September!! :-X
indeed - there is really no reason why you would not be approved, if you have kids together and no red flags (criminal background etc), then you should be clear... and similar cases have been approved in 2 months, so for you maybe end of August - that would of course be the best.

the only thing to organise a bit is how you move your things to Canada. As a returning Canadian, you might have to pay taxes on things, but if they belong to your wife, it will be tax exempt because of her landing - there is a few things to remember when filling out the B4, and depending if you plan on shipping things etc... but apart from some technical details like this, it seems rather feasible.

I'll keep an eye on your approval from London to have an idea for mine!
cheers,
Sweden

Herjeet

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Feb 2012
AOR Received.
23-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
13-02-2012
LANDED..........
Sweden said:
indeed - there is really no reason why you would not be approved, if you have kids together and no red flags (criminal background etc), then you should be clear... and similar cases have been approved in 2 months, so for you maybe end of August - that would of course be the best.

the only thing to organise a bit is how you move your things to Canada. As a returning Canadian, you might have to pay taxes on things, but if they belong to your wife, it will be tax exempt because of her landing - there is a few things to remember when filling out the B4, and depending if you plan on shipping things etc... but apart from some technical details like this, it seems rather feasible.

I'll keep an eye on your approval from London to have an idea for mine!
cheers,
Sweden
I did'nt think about a B4!! I am only bringing my cloths and a bed with me really so shouldn't be much of a problem. I have however bought a Omega Seamaster watch, I'll be wearing this when I land..do have to declare things like that!!??

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Herjeet said:
I did'nt think about a B4!! I am only bringing my cloths and a bed with me really so shouldn't be much of a problem. I have however bought a Omega Seamaster watch, I'll be wearing this when I land..do have to declare things like that!!??
I am not sure - I would assume it is OK as it's for personal use, but i know that there is some specific rule for jewels, but I think it concerns mostly gold and silver, not too sure about that...

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
I wore my engagement ring and didn't declare it, and no one asked. Also OH was wearing his watch which cost quite a bit, again, no one asked.

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
Also, me and DH did this just last month, his PR wasn't done yet and we only had sponsorship approval. You can read my post on it here

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/our-dual-intent-entry-moving-before-pr-issued-t110872.0.html;msg1607556#msg1607556

There were literally zero problems and we brought 4 animals with us, so it kinda did look like we were moving over. Just be totally honest.

Herjeet

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Feb 2012
AOR Received.
23-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
13-02-2012
LANDED..........
Thanks all!! So much to think about!! ::)

MissDominica

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
(13-08-2012) 21-08-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
(28-11-2012)
File Transfer...
(22-10-2012) 10-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
(30-05-2012)
Interview........
(24-10-2013)
Passport Req..
04-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
LANDED..........
05-12-2014
If you get called for an interview - you will have to go back to your home country to conduct it. That's the only downfall I can think of.

Herjeet

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Feb 2012
AOR Received.
23-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
13-02-2012
LANDED..........
MissDominica said:
If you get called for an interview - you will have to go back to your home country to conduct it. That's the only downfall I can think of.
Yes, that's very true, lets hope being married for 9 years and having two children will make them feel our marriage is authentic!! ;)

waikiki

Jan 22, 2011
we did the same and everything went fine, no problems at all at the border, but I guess it depends on the immigration officer.