+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving back to Canada with my mother

peter38wan

Jan 15, 2023
Dear members,

I have a question regarding moving back to Canada with my mother. Well I left Canada 2 years ago (permanent resident) and now want to come back to settle for good with my aging mother as Im her only child.

1. My father disappeared 5 years ago and til this day we dont know where he lives, basically no contact at all.
2. shes now 65 and will be retiring in a couple of months. We have a few relatives and are not really close.
3. shes dependent on me financially, although she has some savings. I have sufficient savings for living in Canada for few years without working
4. We dont own any houses or apartments
5. her health is deteriorating. I just can’t leave her in home country

The problem is I dont have job yet in Canada and will not be able to apply for Supervisa because of the LICO requirement. Im thinking about bringing her as visitor (we are from visa-exempt country so we can apply for eta) and extend her stay for a year after 6 months. I can cover her insurance cost and any living costs during the period. In fact her savings can cover that as well.

My question is
1. is extending her visitor status guaranteed?
2. is there H&C ground for applying Super visa / PR without meeting the LICO?
3. Is there any other way to guarantee her stay in Canada until I can sponsor her as PR after few years?

Appreciate your advice. Thank you so much.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear members,

I have a question regarding moving back to Canada with my mother. Well I left Canada 2 years ago (permanent resident) and now want to come back to settle for good with my aging mother as Im her only child.

1. My father disappeared 5 years ago and til this day we dont know where he lives, basically no contact at all.
2. shes now 65 and will be retiring in a couple of months. We have a few relatives and are not really close.
3. shes dependent on me financially, although she has some savings. I have sufficient savings for living in Canada for few years without working
4. We dont own any houses or apartments
5. her health is deteriorating. I just can’t leave her in home country

The problem is I dont have job yet in Canada and will not be able to apply for Supervisa because of the LICO requirement. Im thinking about bringing her as visitor (we are from visa-exempt country so we can apply for eta) and extend her stay for a year after 6 months. I can cover her insurance cost and any living costs during the period. In fact her savings can cover that as well.

My question is
1. is extending her visitor status guaranteed?
2. is there H&C ground for applying Super visa / PR without meeting the LICO?
3. Is there any other way to guarantee her stay in Canada until I can sponsor her as PR after few years?

Appreciate your advice. Thank you so much.
1. No, unfortunately. Based on your story, she may face some scrutiny coming to Canada as a visitor.

She needs to be able to show that she has ties to wherever she is living now, if questioned by CBSA. She has to convince them (CBSA and/or IRCC) that she is NOT moving to Canada; only visiting Canada. It's a delicate dance for persons like her, but that's not to say that it's impossible.

2. Perhaps. I suggest you wait for others to respond with helpful information.

3. Not that I am aware of.

Best of luck to your mother!

Reactions: peter38wan

peter38wan

Jan 15, 2023
1. No, unfortunately. Based on your story, she may face some scrutiny coming to Canada as a visitor.

She needs to be able to show that she has ties to wherever she is living now, if questioned by CBSA. She has to convince them (CBSA and/or IRCC) that she is NOT moving to Canada; only visiting Canada. It's a delicate dance for persons like her, but that's not to say that it's impossible.

2. Perhaps. I suggest you wait for others to respond with helpful information.

3. Not that I am aware of.

Best of luck to your mother!
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have some further questions if you don’t mind

1. When she wants to extend her stay, Does she need to provide any bank statements or any other documents in support of the extension application aka visitor record?
2. what is the maximum year we can request for extension?
3. if she exits canada after 6 months and wants to come back? what is the time in between that she will have to wait?
4. Is H&C for her case basically slim to none? and if she applies for H&C on her visitor status, will she get implied status to stay in Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
3. if she exits canada after 6 months and wants to come back? what is the time in between that she will have to wait?
From an ETA country, it MIGHT be easier for her to simply return to home country for a couple of months once in a while than to deal with visa extensions. (Keep in mind she might actually wish to, i.e. during parts of winter). While they could refuse her at port of entry, my impression is that they usually don't bother unless there's clear excessive visits (like leaving for a day and staying for six months repeatedly).

The biggest problem any way around is health care. She will need good (very good) insurance or willingness and ability to simply pay out of pocket - which is NOT something that is easy in Canada, even with money. The health care system is struggling as it is, and it is NOT designed to provide services for cash.*

I would have her visit for a while and see how it goes. Truth is that in some cases it is not what elderly people want (it's not easy to adjust to new countries above a certain age), and they may be better off in home country (for reasons of both expenses and comfort). I'm not trying to lecture, just how I see it.

*The 'safety valve' for Canadians with money has historically been to go to the USA, but I've heard a lot of comments from friends in USA that even with money, their health system is poorly coping. As in, even with money, it's not easy anymore in USA health-care wise. I'm sure this doesn't apply to those with limitless wealth of course.

Last edited:

peter38wan

Jan 15, 2023
From an ETA country, it MIGHT be easier for her to simply return to home country for a couple of months once in a while than to deal with visa extensions. (Keep in mind she might actually wish to, i.e. during parts of winter). While they could refuse her at port of entry, my impression is that they usually don't bother unless there's clear excessive visits (like leaving for a day and staying for six months).

The biggest problem any way around is health care. She will need good (very good) insurance or willingness and ability to simply pay out of pocket - which is NOT something that is easy in Canada, even with money. The health care system is struggling as it is, and it is NOT designed to provide services for cash.*

I would have her visit for a while and see how it goes. Truth is that in some cases it is not what elderly people want (it's not easy to adjust to new countries above a certain age), and they may be better off in home country (for reasons of both expenses and comfort). I'm not trying to lecture, just how I see it.

*The 'safety valve' for Canadians with money has historically been to go to the USA, but I've heard a lot of comments from friends in USA that even with money, their health system is poorly coping. As in, even with money, it's not easy anymore in USA health-care wise. I'm sure this doesn't apply to those with limitless wealth of course.
Thanks for your reply. I agree with the fact that she might not adjust to the lifestyle in Canada. However, I am still inclined to explore multiple options for extending her immigration status in Canada in case of any health issues / support since I am her only son.

If she decides to move with me, she will probably return to home country once a year for a week of two to visit her friends. Thing is we do not have any properties in our home country.

Is visa extension refusal rate high? Does having sufficient financial support help with the application?

I am kind of out of options now. Super visa without LICO is the best ideal scenario but it is not happening i guess. there is H&C for PR, but is there H&C for temporary visa too like Super visa? is there any leniency for ETA countries?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I agree with the fact that she might not adjust to the lifestyle in Canada. However, I am still inclined to explore multiple options for extending her immigration status in Canada in case of any health issues / support since I am her only son.

If she decides to move with me, she will probably return to home country once a year for a week of two to visit her friends. Thing is we do not have any properties in our home country.

Is visa extension refusal rate high? Does having sufficient financial support help with the application?

I am kind of out of options now. Super visa without LICO is the best ideal scenario but it is not happening i guess. there is H&C for PR, but is there H&C for temporary visa too like Super visa? is there any leniency for ETA countries?
Her immigration status in Canada would be visitor until you can sponsor her under PGP.
You being her only son doesn't change her own immigration status.
You should look into private health insurance for her during her visits in Canada.

There is NO H&C visitor visa.

As she comes from a country that can use eTA, she can try her luck to extend her stays. Returning to home country and visiting Canada again can be a temporary option.
But if that pattern repeats too much and if CBSA believes that she is trying to move/live in Canada instead of visiting, they could refuse entry.

You should work on meeting LICO and try to get her on super visa before applying for her PR via PGP. And again, she will need health insurance coverage for supervisa visits.
Then continue to meet LICO so may be one day you can apply for her PR via PGP.

peter38wan

Jan 15, 2023
Her immigration status in Canada would be visitor until you can sponsor her under PGP.
You being her only son doesn't change her own immigration status.
You should look into private health insurance for her during her visits in Canada.

There is NO H&C visitor visa.

As she comes from a country that can use eTA, she can try her luck to extend her stays. Returning to home country and visiting Canada again can be a temporary option.
But if that pattern repeats too much and if CBSA believes that she is trying to move/live in Canada instead of visiting, they could refuse entry.

You should work on meeting LICO and try to get her on super visa before applying for her PR via PGP. And again, she will need health insurance coverage for supervisa visits.
Then continue to meet LICO so may be one day you can apply for her PR via PGP.
Thanks for your valuable insights.

I was hoping that she can stay in Canada without needing to exit the country every 6 months. I wondered how people were able to obtain a visa extension for a year as I read through some posts on this forum. Super visa is the ideal solution yet I thought there would be H&C grounds for consideration.

Just a follow up questions on LICO. As soon as I get a job in canada that meets the LICO with annual salary, can I apply a Super visa for her, or do I have to work for a year and obtain notice of assessment / 12 months pay stubs?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was hoping that she can stay in Canada without needing to exit the country every 6 months. I wondered how people were able to obtain a visa extension for a year as I read through some posts on this forum.
She can apply for extensions. They might be approved. But applying may also provide substantial information on fact she does not have many ties to home country or resources, and could be refused. It may also draw attention to fact she is effectively residing or asking to reside here by means of extensions, which is (definitionally) at odds with the intent part of a visitor's visa.

I have no idea about chances either way, however.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your valuable insights.

I was hoping that she can stay in Canada without needing to exit the country every 6 months. I wondered how people were able to obtain a visa extension for a year as I read through some posts on this forum. Super visa is the ideal solution yet I thought there would be H&C grounds for consideration.

Just a follow up questions on LICO. As soon as I get a job in canada that meets the LICO with annual salary, can I apply a Super visa for her, or do I have to work for a year and obtain notice of assessment / 12 months pay stubs?
IRCC generally wants to see an NOA with the super visa application.