File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thank you very much for the information. Yes, my wife had lived in Canada before and had been living abroad over 10 years, and this is the first time ever for my two kids move to Canada. So I guess all our stuff will be duty free. Do I need to create three separate claim forms (one for me, one for my wife and one for my two kids) or just a big item list for our whole family?
Given that all your goods will be tax and duty free regardless, I would imagine it's perfectly fine for you to declare everything on one list. :) The only time I can imagine they might be picky about it would be if the spouse was not eligible to declare her things duty and tax free.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Landing tomorrow morning! Have the feeling that we're forgetting something.. Last minute tips for those that have already landed?
Whoops, I think I'm probably a little late here, but hope everything went well for you!

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
I hope I'll be able to land as PR next week, I won't have any stuff to declare.
My husband was already in Canada when he was approved. He didn't declare anything. Just took his CoPR to the border station. They signed it and sent him on his way. Took all of five minutes.

CountryGurl_GMC

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Morriston, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06-02-2018
Doc's Request.
20-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-03-2018
Med's Request
27-03-2018
My American HUSBAND drives like a bat out of hell so he will be here when I wake up from surgery. But guess what I wake up in agony and he's not there. Why isn't he there? Because the border agents want more paperwork than he has. He's living with a friend in Pittsburgh because it's more affordable and he needs to be able to send me money to support myself and our 2 children. So he doesn't have a lease. He's been stuck in the USA since December 1st, he got a job - he has pay stubs. We are legally married - we have a baby. the surgery didn't fix me - they don't know what's wrong I just want my husband.

NorthwardCA

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
My American HUSBAND drives like a bat out of hell so he will be here when I wake up from surgery. But guess what I wake up in agony and he's not there. Why isn't he there? Because the border agents want more paperwork than he has. He's living with a friend in Pittsburgh because it's more affordable and he needs to be able to send me money to support myself and our 2 children. So he doesn't have a lease. He's been stuck in the USA since December 1st, he got a job - he has pay stubs. We are legally married - we have a baby. the surgery didn't fix me - they don't know what's wrong I just want my husband.
That's rough. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he can be with you very soon.

Reactions: CountryGurl_GMC

ninahaddad

Nov 6, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10/06/2017
Thank you very much for the information. Yes, my wife had lived in Canada before and had been living abroad over 10 years, and this is the first time ever for my two kids move to Canada. So I guess all our stuff will be duty free. Do I need to create three separate claim forms (one for me, one for my wife and one for my two kids) or just a big item list for our whole family?
Just a heads up - if your wife has lived in Canada before (even if over a year) her max allowance per item is $10,000 so make sure the car is in your name too (not just hers). They will consider it duty & tax free if your name is on the title. I got the info from calling the border agency. Good luck on your move! We are still waiting for my husband's background check to start... Our application was received on October 6th

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Just a heads up - if your wife has lived in Canada before (even if over a year) her max allowance per item is $10,000 so make sure the car is in your name too (not just hers). They will consider it duty & tax free if your name is on the title. I got the info from calling the border agency. Good luck on your move! We are still waiting for my husband's background check to start... Our application was received on October 6th
Thank you very much for the heads up. With two little ones, it is hard to cross the US by driving. So we will sell off our cars and will hire a moving company to transport our stuff to Canada.

Reactions: ninahaddad

2pears

Jan 3, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
12-06-2017
AOR Received.
16-06-2017
File Transfer...
12-09-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
22-01-2018
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2018
LANDED..........
01-03-2018
Hi there,

I'm about to land in Canada and was planning on importing a vehicle. However I went to university for 4 years in Canada and had a 3 year graduate work permit. I called the hotline included with COPR and the woman said that because I was only living there with a temporary visa I would be able to import the vehicle.... It is likely slightly over $14,000 USD (comparing with other used car options, not sure what method they use).

Based on your information, are we going to run into an issue?

onthebrink

Star Member
May 9, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
21-06-2017
AOR Received.
24-07-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
02-09-2017
Med's Done....
08-09-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
Whoops, I think I'm probably a little late here, but hope everything went well for you!
No worries!
It was good! We landed around 11am on Friday. Border officer took all of his paperwork and gave us a slip and we went inside. Waited for about 15 minutes.. the guy that was handling immigration was on lunch still. Lol. He came back, took all of 10 minutes. He wanted to see a bank statement on paper or on his phone to show he has money. Signed the copr, stapled the copr to his passport and we went down to another officer that handled the goods we were bringing. She typed it all out, had him sign it and off we went! It was very easy! Now getting an Ontario license was a pain!! He needed drivers abstracts from multiple states because he had moved around. Got that done, got the SIN and set up a bank account. It's all done now, it's been a very busy weekend and with a snow storm and a uhaul trailer it made it more fun... :rolleyes:
Best of luck to the rest of you! Your day will come soon!

ninahaddad

Nov 6, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10/06/2017
Thank you very much for the heads up. With two little ones, it is hard to cross the US by driving. So we will sell off our cars and will hire a moving company to transport our stuff to Canada.
We are driving both our cars up :) and our 2 little ones... The moving truck will drive separately. Cars are more expensive up there so...something to think about! Where do you live now? I am in Chicago.

Twinny

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Has anyone done a soft landing from the UK? Husband and I are planning on flying over soon to land then come back to pack everything up, was just wondering what the process was or how it was if someone else had done it? Thanks

Reactions: betterthanyoko

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hi there,

I'm about to land in Canada and was planning on importing a vehicle. However I went to university for 4 years in Canada and had a 3 year graduate work permit. I called the hotline included with COPR and the woman said that because I was only living there with a temporary visa I would be able to import the vehicle.... It is likely slightly over $14,000 USD (comparing with other used car options, not sure what method they use).

Based on your information, are we going to run into an issue?
Based on what I can decipher from this: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html
I think you would be considered a former resident rather than a settler (because you studied/worked in Canada for longer than 36 months). Meaning the $10k per item limit would apply to you. However you would only pay tax on the value of the car that is over $10k rather than paying tax on the entire thing. YMMV, just how I read the rules on that page and they are not easy to read : )

Last edited:

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Quick question:

We have the court judgements and new fbi pcc in hand. Should we send them before we receive the state pcc? That could be two weeks. Or should we wait and send them all at once?

If we send the court judgements and fbi pcc first we would also send receipts for the state pcc