+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Brother - custodianship - study permit?

zaou

Nov 27, 2015
Hi,

I am looking to enrol my minor brother (12 yrs) in a private school in Ontario. He came to Canada on a tourist visa, later got accepted after admission exam in a private school. I have filled up with my parents his Custodianship Declaration (IMM 5646) and notarized it as a first step. Going over the CIC website it is bit hard to know exactly what are the next steps, especially he doesn't have either of his parents with him (Mom and Dad)

I have the financial capability to pay his school fees + medical insurance

Do we need to apply for a study permit, he is already in Canada with a valid tourist visa.

Any advise from people with prior experience in such situation?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

zaou said:
Hi,

I am looking to enrol my minor brother (12 yrs) in a private school in Ontario. He came to Canada on a tourist visa, later got accepted after admission exam in a private school. I have filled up with my parents his Custodianship Declaration (IMM 5646) and notarized it as a first step. Going over the CIC website it is bit hard to know exactly what are the next steps, especially he doesn't have either of his parents with him (Mom and Dad)

I have the financial capability to pay his school fees + medical insurance

Do we need to apply for a study permit, he is already in Canada with a valid tourist visa.

Any advise from people with prior experience in such situation?

Since he has a visitor record, he don't need to apply for study permit.

zaou

Nov 27, 2015
Hi J5M,

Thank you for your reply, is there a need to extend his visitor visa his beyond the six month of residency?

Note: his multi entry visitor visa is valid till 2019

Tnx

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
J5M said:
Hi,

Since he has a visitor record, he don't need to apply for study permit.
He most certainly does need a study permit. He would only be exempt if he was in Canada with a parent who had a valid work or study permit. Since he's here as a visitor, he needs a study permit to legally study in Canada and cannot start studying until he has a valid study permit in hand.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

scylla said:
He most certainly does need a study permit. He would only be exempt if he was in Canada with a parent who had a valid work or study permit. Since he's here as a visitor, he needs a study permit to legally study in Canada and cannot start studying until he has a valid study permit in hand.

"The child may have either a visitor record or a study permit when entering Canada. The child is authorized to study without a study permit if he or she has only the visitor record or a Canadian entry stamp on his or her passport."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

J5M said:
Hi,

"The child may have either a visitor record or a study permit when entering Canada. The child is authorized to study without a study permit if he or she has only the visitor record or a Canadian entry stamp on his or her passport."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp
1. Read the whole statement

Find out if your child needs a study permit

Minor children who are already in Canada accompanying a parent who is permitted to study or work may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PMM said:
Hi

1. Read the whole statement

Find out if your child needs a study permit

Minor children who are already in Canada accompanying a parent who is permitted to study or work may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.
What PMM said. I stand by my original answer.

zaou

Nov 27, 2015
Thanks a lot Guys for your replies,

I'll proceed filling up the paperwork and apply for the study permit.