+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

minimum IELTS score for express entry

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
The first one is the CELPIP test which is only available in Canada and UAE afaik. The second one is IELTS.

raffy07

Feb 19, 2018
The first one is the CELPIP test which is only available in Canada and UAE afaik. The second one is IELTS.

Many many thanks. So kind from you to clarify it. In other words if someone gets 6 on each of R, W, S and U, does that mean they have CLB 7 and are eligible?

I am perhaps confused between CLB and overall band score. I have IELTS results showing that the result obtained for every skill/ability is 6 and that overall band score is 6. Means CLB is 7 although overall band score is 6? And does it mean that the person is eligible ? I wish i could post a screenshot/picture but it is not working, unless you can provide me with ab email. Anyhow, can you please advise what is CLB (compared to overall band score) and what really determines eligibility? Many many thanks

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Many many thanks. So kind from you to clarify it. In other words if someone gets 6 on each of R, W, S and U, does that mean they have CLB 7 and are eligible?
Yes

I am perhaps confused between CLB and overall band score. I have IELTS results showing that the result obtained for every skill/ability is 6 and that overall band score is 6. Means CLB is 7 although overall band score is 6? And does it mean that the person is eligible ? I wish i could post a screenshot/picture but it is not working, unless you can provide me with ab email. Anyhow, can you please advise what is CLB (compared to overall band score) and what really determines eligibility? Many many thanks
So CELPIP and IELTS are two similar tests for English. You can take either of them but since CELPIP is available only in a few places, a huge majority of the people take the IELTS. CLB is Canada Language Benchmark. Since CELPIP and IELTS have different scoring bands, CLB kinda brings them together so you can compare the two and have a level playing field. If you are not taking CELPIP there is no need to bother about the conversion. Basically you need minimum 6 points in all sections of IELTS to be eligible for Express entry.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018

----------------------------

Eligibility is dependent on applicants obtaining a minimum CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) Level 7 in EACH of the 4 skills - the overall band score does not matter. For someone who took IELTS, this means your IELTS Scores should be as follows:

Reading: 6 (CLB equivalent score - 7)
Writing: 6 (CLB equivalent score - 7)
Speaking: 6 (CLB equivalent score - 7)
Listening: 6 (CLB equivalent score - 7)

-----------------------------

For clarification: What is the difference between my IELTS Scores and the 'CLB' score?

Because there are several approved language tests, all with different grading schemes, IRCC needs to have a way to compare all language test results against one another and determine Canadian equivalency of the results. The Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) is an Index against which the approved language test exams results can be compared to determine the Candidate’s Language Level.

The required Language Levels outlined throughout the Express Entry process refer to required CLB Levels, not to the Individual Language Test Results (so, for example, if you take the IELTS exam and get a score of 6 on the Reading Section, this is equivalent to a CLB Level of 7 in Reading, which means that you will meet the minimum FSW Language requirement (and CEC NOC Code 0 or A Language requirement) for Express Entry in this section).

Note that the CELPIP Language Test results are already aligned to the CLB Index, making comparison easier. You can review the CLB Conversion Guide here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/language/charts.asp

Tushar2494

Aug 29, 2019
I have one confusion,
Kindly take me out from this.

IN speaking - 6
Writing - 6.5
Listening - 7.5
Reading - 7.5

What is my score is, when we calculate scores for express entry OUT OF 100.

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
I have one confusion,
Kindly take me out from this.

IN speaking - 6
Writing - 6.5
Listening - 7.5
Reading - 7.5

What is my score is, when we calculate scores for express entry OUT OF 100.
Did you speak to an immigration lawyer? Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of consultants these days STILL calculate only the FSW points.

You need to calculate your CRS points here.

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
And i am asking whether i am eligible for 16 points or more ...kindly tell me
You get invited based on your CRS score in the EE pool, but you also need to meet the minimum points if you're applying under FSW.

To convert your IELTS scores to CLB, use the tool here https://ieltscanadatest.com/test-results/ielts-and-clb/ or here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html

Then you can determine how many FSW points you have based on the link you shared.