waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
mikeyvr said:
On one of Mexicana post she said she was able to get the informe in Mexico city????
No, my suegra picked up a constancia on behalf of my partner. He mailed all of the fingerprints and a carta poder to her. She then mailed the constancia to Canada and we sent it with our application.

Then they asked us for an informe and we went through the same process that you did, mailing everything to the Embassy in Mexico City.

MexiCana

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
17-05-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
One final post to mention that we received PPR on February 18th from Buffalo. We drove there a few days later to pick up the visa and land. I am so happy this is over! A big congrats to jendrian too, your timeline is excellent!

I hope the rest of you get PR very soon!

Here is one weird thing about US visitor visas that may be relevant to some people here. When we drove to the US we had to go into the office for my partner to be interviewed by an immigration agent. He has a 10 year B1/B2/BCC -Border Crossing Card. This is a special US visitor's visa that is only given to Mexicans. His visa is good until 2016. Nevertheless, the agent told us that after my partner lands he will need to apply to the American consulate for a new visa. We were surprised. Why do you need to apply for a new visa when you have one already? They told us it's because it's a Border Crossing Card and the agent told us they turned Mexican back at the border recently because he was a landed PR and tried to cross with his Border Crossing Card. Anyway, something to keep in mind after you've landed if you plan to travel to the United States.

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MexiCana said:
He has a 10 year B1/B2/BCC -Border Crossing Card. This is a special US visitor's visa that is only given to Mexicans. His visa is good until 2016. Nevertheless, the agent told us that after my partner lands he will need to apply to the American consulate for a new visa. We were surprised. Why do you need to apply for a new visa when you have one already?
Thanks for the tip MexiCana and congrats on landing. My partner’s BCC for the US expires in about 4 or 5 months. I do not think we will be landed by then. I hate the thought of having to get a new visa for the US here in Mexico and then after landing in Canada getting another visa for the US. I wish there was a better way…. I wonder if the New BCC foils in the passport (no more cards) that they are giving out in Guadalajara, Mex DF and Merida have to be changed as well.

NAFTA.couple

Star Member
Jan 16, 2011
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
05-04-11
LANDED..........
23-05-11
Guys and gals,
I'd like to tell you about my experience getting the constancia in Mexico City.

I arrived at the PGR building early and watched the massive lines of employees coming in and going through security. That means the elevators were really busy so there was a line there too. I left an ID at the check-in desk and was told to find out which elevator to take. Given that there were long lines and one elevator was out of order, I said screw it and went up 7 flights of stairs. I was told to wait and in about 10 minutes a friendly official took my docs and asked a few questions, nothing strange. He told me to call in 6 business days to see whether the constancia was ready. So far everything was easy and quick.

Then he told me where to go to get fingerprints taken. This place was about 25 minutes by car, he said. Luckily I know my way around the city, so I took metro and then bus, but I can see someone who doesnt know the city would to have to spend on a taxi.
At that other PGR place, I waited some more, then a tech took my prints, and then did it again and again. They take full finger-, palm- and edge-of-hand-prints. Then some questions, then a description is written down. All in all, it took a good half-hour.

I don't know why the federal government forces people to travel to Mexico City for this, then makes us go around the city, then we have to go back or send someone to get the doc. This is not an insubstantial hassle for many.

Now to wait for my friend in the city to go get the constancia.
Speaking of which, does anyone know whether my friend (not a relative) is allowed to drop off my documents at the embassy in person? I know some of you had relatives do it for you, but I just want to make sure a friend can do it too.

Cheerio

jendrian

Star Member
Oct 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2010
Doc's Request.
08-01-2011
AOR Received.
08-01-2011
File Transfer...
22-12-2010
Med's Request
08-01-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
24-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
If a relative can, so can a friend. All you need to do is leave them with a Carta Poder, signed by you and two witnesses, and photocopies of everyone's IDs.

The Carta Poder is a "fill in the blanks" kind of thing, and you can get it in any office supply store (papeleria).

Also, they won't require her the Carta Poder to submit the papers at the embassy, they never asked me for an ID. They will require from her the letter where it says you need to submit those papers, and the papers themselves.

jendrian

Star Member
Oct 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2010
Doc's Request.
08-01-2011
AOR Received.
08-01-2011
File Transfer...
22-12-2010
Med's Request
08-01-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
24-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
eCAS just updated to "Complete", and inside: "decision made", doesn't say what the decision was but... we know ;-)

GT25

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
NAFTA.couple said:
Guys and gals,
I'd like to tell you about my experience getting the constancia in Mexico City.

I arrived at the PGR building early and watched the massive lines of employees coming in and going through security. That means the elevators were really busy so there was a line there too. I left an ID at the check-in desk and was told to find out which elevator to take. Given that there were long lines and one elevator was out of order, I said screw it and went up 7 flights of stairs. I was told to wait and in about 10 minutes a friendly official took my docs and asked a few questions, nothing strange. He told me to call in 6 business days to see whether the constancia was ready. So far everything was easy and quick.

Then he told me where to go to get fingerprints taken. This place was about 25 minutes by car, he said. Luckily I know my way around the city, so I took metro and then bus, but I can see someone who doesnt know the city would to have to spend on a taxi.
At that other PGR place, I waited some more, then a tech took my prints, and then did it again and again. They take full finger-, palm- and edge-of-hand-prints. Then some questions, then a description is written down. All in all, it took a good half-hour.

I don't know why the federal government forces people to travel to Mexico City for this, then makes us go around the city, then we have to go back or send someone to get the doc. This is not an insubstantial hassle for many.

Now to wait for my friend in the city to go get the constancia.
Speaking of which, does anyone know whether my friend (not a relative) is allowed to drop off my documents at the embassy in person? I know some of you had relatives do it for you, but I just want to make sure a friend can do it too.

Cheerio

I havd exactly the same situation than you I did not like all the trips that I had to do just to get that lette. My causin husband picked up my letter and dropped it in the Embassy without a problem.

NAFTA.couple

Star Member
Jan 16, 2011
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
05-04-11
LANDED..........
23-05-11
GT25 said:
I havd exactly the same situation than you I did not like all the trips that I had to do just to get that lette. My causin husband picked up my letter and dropped it in the Embassy without a problem.
jendrian said:
If a relative can, so can a friend. All you need to do is leave them with a Carta Poder, signed by you and two witnesses, and photocopies of everyone's IDs.

The Carta Poder is a "fill in the blanks" kind of thing, and you can get it in any office supply store (papeleria).

Also, they won't require her the Carta Poder to submit the papers at the embassy, they never asked me for an ID. They will require from her the letter where it says you need to submit those papers, and the papers themselves.
Thanks, guys. Everything is coming up roses for us -- so far. Now if we get the PPR 23 days after dropping docs off at the embassy (like Jendrian and Bonbon9 did), we'll be set.

kdr

May 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
15-03-2011
AOR Received.
28-02-2011
File Transfer...
04-02-2011
Med's Done....
27-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-04-2011
LANDED..........
24-05-2011
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with mailing times from the Embassy in DF. My husband got his AOR email on February 28 and it stated that they were mailing him a package that day that included instructions on how to obtain his PGR. Unfortunately he still has not received that pacakge AND he lives in Mexico City! It is making me sort of nervous as it has now been a week and its in the same city. The letter says to call or email if you do not recieve it within 60 days but that sounds ridiculously long. Any thoughts?

jendrian

Star Member
Oct 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2010
Doc's Request.
08-01-2011
AOR Received.
08-01-2011
File Transfer...
22-12-2010
Med's Request
08-01-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
24-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
it took about 30 days for them to receive it in Mexico city, then about 15 days for us to receive the letter in the regular mail for us

islenio

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Aug-2011
AOR Received.
9-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
6-Oct-2011
Med's Done....
18-Jul-2011
Passport Req..
20-Jan-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Jan-2012
LANDED..........
4-Feb-2012
Just wondering if someone has any experience or knowledge about this idea.
As some or most of you know, church weddings are not civil marriages in Mexico.
Has someone of you married by the church in Mexico and then had a civil wedding in Canada and applied inland.
I know this is a gray zone but I want to know if someone has done it or what is your take in this scenario.

Thanks for your feedback in advance

jendrian

Star Member
Oct 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2010
Doc's Request.
08-01-2011
AOR Received.
08-01-2011
File Transfer...
22-12-2010
Med's Request
08-01-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
24-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
it's not a gray area, canadian law is very specific: "you must be legally married in the country where the wedding took place"; if you have a religious wedding in Mexico it's not a law-abided marriage and as such not recognized in Canada.

In brief: church wedding = not married for the canadian government

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure what you mean by a gray zone. Your marriage (by the church in Mexico) would not be valid in Mexico (and therefore not valid in Canada either) and is only valid in the eyes of whatever church married you. You would not have an Acta de Matrimonio Del Registro Civil a Marriage Certificate from the Civil Registry. You would not be legally married until you had a civil wedding ceremony.

GT25

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Does anybody know how long would it take for the Embassy to send back to Canada my passport with the visa in it? I would send a pre paid air bill I'm just wondering if I should go personally or send my passport by courier. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

jendrian

Star Member
Oct 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2010
Doc's Request.
08-01-2011
AOR Received.
08-01-2011
File Transfer...
22-12-2010
Med's Request
08-01-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
24-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
after they receive it, it takes 2 weeks for them to open and process your passport.

It takes an afternoon if you go personally, and you get to see them as excited as you