+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mexico

Loops

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
Hello! The SSP certificate was required for almost a year (search this thread for details if you want history on it). However, it is no longer required, I would recommend replying to the letter with a print-out of the current police certificate requirements showing that, once again, only the PGR is required and ask for clarification on the latest request. You can find the current CIC instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/mexico.asp
Thanks for the answer but yes, it is still required! I just got a letter asking for it last week, called CIC and they did confirmed that I need both PGR and SSP.

After reading in different treads and websites that they don't need it of that the SSP doesn't exist anymore I decided to give the SSP a call directly and they explained to me that they changed the address, got the new address and instructions to get it, If you guys need me to post them in here I will be happy to do it!

compuin

Dec 30, 2011
Caracas, Venezuela
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2010
Doc's Request.
22-12-2011... ARC requested Aug 14,2012... ARC sent Aug 27,2012... ARC approved Oct 04, 2013
AOR Received.
10-01-2012
Med's Request
29-05-2012 - REDO 04-10-2013
Med's Done....
18-06-2012
Interview........
17-11-2011
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2013
LANDED..........
On May 09, 2014
Hello there,
I applied for ARC on August, 2012 and I was wondering if it a good idea ask for ARC status either calling or writing email to Canadian Embassy in Mexico.
Please, any advice? Someone else have the same experience?
Thanks

Lena1984

Star Member
Feb 24, 2011
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2012
Doc's Request.
06-06-2013
AOR Received.
19-11-2012,03-04-2013
File Transfer...
05-02-2013
Med's Done....
11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
16-10-2013
Dazz13 said:
we applied in October...I was approved after 37 days and on November 6th they confirmed they received the medical in DF, in late December my wife sent the police reports and on January 15th our status changed to "in process"....I'm anxiously waiting for them to let us know something!
How come that they asked for the police reports later? We sent everything right away and also paid the total fee because it said if you things step by step it will take way longer. Also many ppl have been saying that their status online doesn't change but mine did right away to decision made. I wonder if it has to do if you send them the bar codes that you print of and attach with the application. Best of luck for you =) Hope things move fast so we can be with our spouses ASAP.

Lena

moz77

Sep 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
File Transfer...
29-10-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2013
LANDED..........
18-04-2013
Loops said:
Thanks for the answer but yes, it is still required! I just got a letter asking for it last week, called CIC and they did confirmed that I need both PGR and SSP.

After reading in different treads and websites that they don't need it of that the SSP doesn't exist anymore I decided to give the SSP a call directly and they explained to me that they changed the address, got the new address and instructions to get it, If you guys need me to post them in here I will be happy to do it!
Hi! Could you please share the new address and instructions?

mrscruz

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2012
Doc's Request.
PGR February 13,2013
AOR Received.
Mexico City february 13, 2013
File Transfer...
December 11, 2012
Med's Done....
November 11, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 16,2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 24,2013
Lena1984 said:
How come that they asked for the police reports later? We sent everything right away and also paid the total fee because it said if you things step by step it will take way longer. Also many ppl have been saying that their status online doesn't change but mine did right away to decision made. I wonder if it has to do if you send them the bar codes that you print of and attach with the application. Best of luck for you =) Hope things move fast so we can be with our spouses ASAP.

Lena
It states in the CIC guidelines to send the police checks after the embassy sends you a request letter. I am not sure of the exact reason but I believe it may have something to do with the police checks having a short expiry. Also with the PGR you can only receive this with a signed letter from the embassy (state level police checks are not acceptable).

In regards to the status online do you mean the sponsor status or the applicant status. I believe the people on this forum were talking about the appllcants status not changing.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello! Hopefully I can help clear this up since both mrscruz and Lena1984 are correct, but for different specific situations.

Lena1984 said:
How come that they asked for the police reports later? We sent everything right away and also paid the total fee because it said if you things step by step it will take way longer.
In general, that is correct. However, for Mexico you cannot do that since the PGR background check requires an original, official request letter issued by a government entity (e.g., Embassy of Canada in Mexico). You can see the specifics for each country on CIC's website. For Mexico, for example at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/mexico.asp:

Code:
How to obtain a police certificate - Mexico

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes, but not with your initial application.

The visa office where you submit your application will contact you when they need this information.
mrscruz said:
It states in the CIC guidelines to send the police checks after the embassy sends you a request letter.
Correct, for the Mexico-specific situation and other very specific situations where an applicant cannot get the police certificate directly themselves. As you say further down in your post, you need to have an original formal request letter from the Embassy of Canada in Mexico (or another government entity) to get the PGR background check. In general, however, for family class applications the police certificate should be submitted upfront so if the applicant has lived anywhere other than Mexico those should be included in the application upfront.

mrscruz said:
I am not sure of the exact reason but I believe it may have something to do with the police checks having a short expiry.
It's because you can't get it any other way ;)

mrscruz said:
Also with the PGR you can only receive this with a signed letter from the embassy (state level police checks are not acceptable).
Correct!

And on e-case updates:

Lena1984 said:
I wonder if it has to do if you send them the bar codes that you print of and attach with the application.
My understanding is that, for privacy reasons, e-case is on a different system than GCMS and thus requires separate updating (the medical system is also separate, although that may be changing). If CAIPS (for older applications) or GCMS (for newer apps) is updated but not e-case then e-case doesn't reflect the actual status. Therefore, sometimes people are lucky and get a preview through ecase and other times they need to wait for e-mails or letters to arrive.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moz77 said:
Hi! Could you please share the new address and instructions?

Before running out to get it, I'd encourage you to check with your VO whether you really need it. Historically, CIC has been very good about updating requirements for police certificates on their website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/mexico.asp (even if they take longer to update specifics, like addresses) and they updated the requirements on Jan 30 2013 to just include the PGR (and removed all references to the previously required SSP certificate).

It won't hurt to submit it if you get it, but you may not need it based on the latest instructions. Therefore, here's an old post with some info that can help if your circumstances make it easy enough to get (or required):

OhCanadiana said:
Congratulations!

First, don't be hard on yourself. The SSP is a newish requirement and, if you're already getting the request for it from the Mexico VO you had no way of knowing before applying.

If you or a direct family member is in Mexico City, the SSP certificate is quite simple to get - a matter of a few minutes to a couple hours from what folks have reported, no appointment needed (just note that the office has moved - more details below).

Several people have reported their experience with it, which may help as you plan to get your own. Here's a few posts to start you off: our conversation about the new requirement started on page 190 and went on for a few pages including a discussion where we figured it out together for the first folks going to get it, then we had the pioneers report back(edgarsitow, Americana in T.O., and Nessa). After that, sillymemo reported on the change of address (which is still incorrect on the various official websites, BTW).

If you're not in Mexico City and don't have a direct family member there, then you or a direct family member either need to go to Mexico City to get it or, if you are abroad, explore if your Embassy/consulate will do it (so far, the ones in Canada have said they have instructions from SRE - Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores / Foreign Affairs - not to get involved, however the SSP folks and CIC seems to think Embassies and Consulates can do it).

Finally, here's some info from the SSP directly: http://www.pgjdf.gob.mx/temas/1-4-1/index.php?tema=Antecedentes+Penales&idw3_contenidos=9.

For the PGR, I would send them a case specific enquiry asap offering a FedEx waybill if you want to use that option to get it faster (given that they gave you the choice - a nice development).

Good luck :)

Lena1984

Star Member
Feb 24, 2011
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2012
Doc's Request.
06-06-2013
AOR Received.
19-11-2012,03-04-2013
File Transfer...
05-02-2013
Med's Done....
11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
16-10-2013
mrscruz said:
It states in the CIC guidelines to send the police checks after the embassy sends you a request letter. I am not sure of the exact reason but I believe it may have something to do with the police checks having a short expiry. Also with the PGR you can only receive this with a signed letter from the embassy (state level police checks are not acceptable).

In regards to the status online do you mean the sponsor status or the applicant status. I believe the people on this forum were talking about the appllcants status not changing.
In the guidelines and checklist I went by it said that the police certificates had to be included and of course they were signed and apostiled by the embassy. Here is the link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf and we went to the police office they suggested for this specific country

and this is from the Check list for Latin America

POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES
You must submit original police certificates of good conduct or clearances from each country in which you and each of your family members aged 18 years or over have resided six continuous months or more since reaching18 years of age. You must attach the original police certificate(s) to the application. If the original certificate is neither in English nor in French, submit both, the certificate and the original copy of a translation prepared by an accredited translator.
However, if you have lived in Canada, at this time you are only required to indicate it on the Schedule 1 Background/Declaration Form (IMM 0008). You will be notified by the visa office dur-ing the processing of your application if you are required to submit a police certificate from Canada.
Please consult our website at: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp for specific and up-to-date information on how to obtain police certificates from any country.
Hopefully we did everything right,yes the police certificates are only valid for 3 months.

Lena1984

Star Member
Feb 24, 2011
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2012
Doc's Request.
06-06-2013
AOR Received.
19-11-2012,03-04-2013
File Transfer...
05-02-2013
Med's Done....
11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
16-10-2013
OhCanadiana said:
Hello! Hopefully I can help clear this up since both mrscruz and Lena1984 are correct, but for different specific situations.

In general, that is correct. However, for Mexico you cannot do that since the PGR background check requires an original, official request letter issued by a government entity (e.g., Embassy of Canada in Mexico). You can see the specifics for each country at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/mexico.asp

Code:
How to obtain a police certificate - Mexico

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes, but not with your initial application.

The visa office where you submit your application will contact you when they need this information.
Correct, for the Mexico-specific situation and other very specific situations where an applicant cannot get the police certificate directly themselves. As you say further down in your post, you need to have an original formal request letter from the Embassy of Canada in Mexico (or another government entity) to get the PGR background check. In general, however, for family class applications the police certificate should be submitted upfront so if the applicant has lived anywhere other than Mexico those should be included in the application upfront.
It's because you can't get it any other way ;)
Correct!

And on e-case updates:
My understanding is that, for privacy reasons, e-case is on a different system than GCMS and thus requires separate updating (the medical system is also separate, although that may be changing). If CAIPS (for older applications) or GCMS (for newer apps) is updated but not e-case then e-case doesn't reflect the actual status. Therefore, sometimes people are lucky and get a preview through ecase and other times they need to wait for e-mails or letters to arrive.
Maybe the reason is that we are only going thru the Mexico VO but the country we apply from is El Salvador and there you get those police checks within a day and all we had to do is go to the canadian embassy pay lots of money and get them apostiled and also translated =)

mrscruz

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2012
Doc's Request.
PGR February 13,2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
December 11, 2012
Med's Done....
November 11, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 16,2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 24,2013
Lena1984 said:
In the guidelines and checklist I went by it said that the police certificates had to be included and of course they were signed and apostiled by the embassy. Here is the link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf and we went to the police office they suggested for this specific country

and this is from the Check list for Latin America

POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES
You must submit original police certificates of good conduct or clearances from each country in which you and each of your family members aged 18 years or over have resided six continuous months or more since reaching18 years of age. You must attach the original police certificate(s) to the application. If the original certificate is neither in English nor in French, submit both, the certificate and the original copy of a translation prepared by an accredited translator.
However, if you have lived in Canada, at this time you are only required to indicate it on the Schedule 1 Background/Declaration Form (IMM 0008). You will be notified by the visa office dur-ing the processing of your application if you are required to submit a police certificate from Canada.
Please consult our website at: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp for specific and up-to-date information on how to obtain police certificates from any country.
Hopefully we did everything right,yes the police certificates are only valid for 3 months.
You are wrong. The only way to get the PGR is with a signed letter from the embassy.

Lena1984

Star Member
Feb 24, 2011
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2012
Doc's Request.
06-06-2013
AOR Received.
19-11-2012,03-04-2013
File Transfer...
05-02-2013
Med's Done....
11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
16-10-2013
mrscruz said:
You are wrong. The only way to get the PGR is with a signed letter from the embassy.
umm it's not me who made up these Guidelines lol CIC must be wrong then =D

Eduram

Star Member
Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mex City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2012
Doc's Request.
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
05-10-2012
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Request
09-10-2012
Med's Done....
11-10-2011 Med´s Redone: 10-29-2012
Interview........
29-01-2013
Passport Req..
29-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2013
Hey everyone. I landen on friday and already have my SIN number, still trying to figure out health, my bank account and drivers license but life is great so far.

Went to ask about the driver´s license yesterday and they told me I have to take the knowledge test and road test but I think I remember reading somewhere that the road test could be waived.

Anyone has experience with getting driver´s licenses in Alberta for their mexican spouses?

msprisci

Oct 29, 2012
Miami
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
03-06-2013
File Transfer...
20-02-2013 Sponsorship Approval
Med's Done....
04-01-2013
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
02-12-2013
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my joy... even though that's only a short step, I know... I've been approved as a sponsor :) File sent to Mexico!

mrscruz

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2012
Doc's Request.
PGR February 13,2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
December 11, 2012
Med's Done....
November 11, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 16,2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 24,2013
Lena1984 said:
umm it's not me who made up these Guidelines lol CIC must be wrong then =D
Your sarcastic and uninformed comments are unnecessary. You will soon enough realize that you are wrong when you receive a letter from the embassy.

Lena1984

Star Member
Feb 24, 2011
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2012
Doc's Request.
06-06-2013
AOR Received.
19-11-2012,03-04-2013
File Transfer...
05-02-2013
Med's Done....
11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
16-10-2013
mrscruz said:
Your sarcastic and uninformed comments are unnecessary. You will soon enough realize that you are wrong when you receive a letter from the embassy.
I'm not here on this forum to argue with you honestly,I went by the Instructions specified for my country.

Good luck to you