+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying a non-Canadian as a PR

jhaprade

Nov 21, 2013
Hello,

my girlfriend is Spanish. She has no status in Canada. I am a Canadian PR (Indian citizen), currently living in Japan. But I will move back to Canada soon. I want to know how does it work in Canada if I marry a non-Canadian person as a PR:

1) Will Canada recognize our marriage if it is done outside Canada? (in Spain/any other European country/India) Or do we need to get legally married in Canada?
2) How long does Canada take to recognize a marriage of two non-citizens that happened outside Canada?
3) Will she be given a PR status to move in Canada with me? If yes, how long will that take? If no, will Canada give her any status to help her move with me?
4) Hypothetically speaking, if I don't have a job, does she still qualify to move to Canada with me?

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Yes - Canada will recognize your marriage as long as it was legal in the country where it was performed.
2) n/a
3) Canada will give her no status by default. You will have to sponsor her for permanent residency if you want her to move to Canada. How long it takes will depend on whether you select the inside of Canada or outside of Canada application route. You can read about this process here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html
4) Yes - you can sponsor her for PR without having a job. However since you are a PR yourself, you must be living in Canada when you submit the application to sponsor her and you must continue living in Canada while the application is being processed.

jhaprade

Nov 21, 2013
Thank you for clear reply.

Do you know where can I find a list of documents required to marry legally in Canada by one PR a no-Canadian-status person?

One more question. If we marry inside Canada and then apply for an outside of Canada application, will it be weird? If we decide to go for outland application, is it better to marry outside Canada as well?

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
jhaprade said:
Thank you for clear reply.

Do you know where can I find a list of documents required to marry legally in Canada by one PR a no-Canadian-status person?

One more question. If we marry inside Canada and then apply for an outside of Canada application, will it be weird? If we decide to go for outland application, is it better to marry outside Canada as well?
You should look at your provincial govt website - as each province issues wedding licenses and has instruction on how to get your marriage recognized

No - it is your choice where you marry.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get married in AB, you need your ID (passports for example), birth certificates and if one of you was married before, you'd need proof that the first marriage had ended such as divorce papers.