Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
Hello,

I have couple of questions, maybe someone knows the answers.

My boyfriend and I are two international students (I am full-time and he is an ESL student).
Are we allowed to marry here in Canada and what is the process? I have no idea where to go.

And another one: We've been living together for more than one year now, are we considered a common-law couple? If yes, do we need to obtain any documents proving that we are? I just don't understand, if common-law marriage is supported by some kind of license or something similar or is it just a verbal agreement.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Irada

Reactions: KabirMoho

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can get married in Canada.

Yes - by Canadian standards you are technically common law.

No - there is no document or license you can obtain.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
Yes - you can get married in Canada.

Yes - by Canadian standards you are technically common law.

No - there is no document or license you can obtain.
Actually for Immigration purposes they are considered common/law for legal purposes they wouldn't be. See the following.

B.C. have lived together for two years now have the same rights and responsibilities as married couples.
Alberta, when the couple has lived together for three years or more or has a child and live together.
Newfoundland, after two years of living together in a conjugal relationship
Nova Scotia, a couple must live together for two years before being entitled to any possible spousal support; they would not be permitted to claim property, including a family home or car. In order for unmarried couples to have rights, they can register as being in a "domestic partnership" under the Nova Scotia Vital Statistics Act.
Ontario and Manitoba, they must be living together in a conjugal relationship for three years or more, or one year with a child. In Manitoba, the couple could register their common-law relationship at the Vital Statistics Registry.
Quebec is the only province that does not recognize common-law relationships.

Fernanda

Feb 24, 2018
Hi

Hello
I’m in the same situation...
We are both international student.
Can I become his dependent? And change my visa to work permit?
How does it works?
Thanks

Actually for Immigration purposes they are considered common/law for legal purposes they wouldn't be. See the following.

B.C. have lived together for two years now have the same rights and responsibilities as married couples.
Alberta, when the couple has lived together for three years or more or has a child and live together.
Newfoundland, after two years of living together in a conjugal relationship
Nova Scotia, a couple must live together for two years before being entitled to any possible spousal support; they would not be permitted to claim property, including a family home or car. In order for unmarried couples to have rights, they can register as being in a "domestic partnership" under the Nova Scotia Vital Statistics Act.
Ontario and Manitoba, they must be living together in a conjugal relationship for three years or more, or one year with a child. In Manitoba, the couple could register their common-law relationship at the Vital Statistics Registry.
Quebec is the only province that does not recognize common-law relationships.