+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage In States Transferrable To Canada?

Cleric515

Mar 12, 2014
Just some information about myself. Canadian citizen finishing my fourth year in the Canadian Military and making a career out of it. Met an american woman in which we are madly in love with each other and want to get married. My only question is if I marry her through "Justice of the Peace" in Texas, how does that become valid in Canada as she is unable to come to Canada as she can't take holidays until December and I plan to visit and propose/marry her in September. I just basically need some guidance in terms of how marrying her through the justice of the peace can become valid in Canada so that I can start the spousal sponsorship form along with the Permanent Residency form.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A marriage in the US in front of a justice of the peace will be recognized in Canada. There's nothing additional you need to do to get it recognized.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Cleric515 said:
Just some information about myself. Canadian citizen finishing my fourth year in the Canadian Military and making a career out of it. Met an american woman in which we are madly in love with each other and want to get married. My only question is if I marry her through "Justice of the Peace" in Texas, how does that become valid in Canada as she is unable to come to Canada as she can't take holidays until December and I plan to visit and propose/marry her in September. I just basically need some guidance in terms of how marrying her through the justice of the peace can become valid in Canada so that I can start the spousal sponsorship form along with the Permanent Residency form.
As long as the marriage is legally recognized in the country/state it is being performed in, it will be legally recognized in Canada. You don't need to do anything 'extra' to register the marriage in Canada, but be sure the JP you are using will file your marriage license paperwork for you as you will need the legal marriage certificate. Each state is different so be sure to check the laws for getting a marriage license in Texas.

Best of luck to you.

EvaD

Jan 16, 2015
Ok, I have been doing some searching on the internet and I am hoping someone here can answer my questions. My boyfriend is American. I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada. Our plan is to get married in the US as it is easier for family to travel that way and then live here in Canada. What, if anything, would we need to do for him to be able to come live here legally?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

EvaD said:
Ok, I have been doing some searching on the internet and I am hoping someone here can answer my questions. My boyfriend is American. I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada. Our plan is to get married in the US as it is easier for family to travel that way and then live here in Canada. What, if anything, would we need to do for him to be able to come live here legally?
Start your reading here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

EvaD

Jan 16, 2015
So, if I am reading that information correctly, he can come back with me after the wedding and apply for PR status from here?