+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Manila Tread for English Speakers - join here!

Step

Jan 4, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 21,2013
AOR Received.
August 26,2013
File Transfer...
September 13,2013
Med's Done....
Upfront. July 13,2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 29,2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 4,2014.
LANDED..........
June 24, 2014. 6:00 pm
Edgehead78 said:
Ok looks like we have some mixed opinions here on what will happen.

@ truesmile, so you would recommend that I use an asian airline that is serving Toronto from Manila through another asian city? Do you have examples? Please not Air Canada as they are always more expensive than any other one.
I don't really want to process a transit visa for my wife in another country, including US, so I need a place where Filipinos are visa-exempt.

@ Step, What was your experience with PAL? Looks like truesmile had a bad one so I would like to know what is yours.

@ mr.peace, is it doable in an hour of transit time?
I have used PAL 5 times over a year and a half time frame. No problems for me, I like the fact PAL flies direct to Manila. Only thing I've found is don't count on them being on time. I booked my connecting flight once, 2 hrs late arrival Vancouver, so now I never book return leg to final destination. I grab the earliest flight back to Calgary once I arrive.
Around 14 hrs to Manila, return is under 12 hrs.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
Edgehead78 said:
Hi,
I am a bit ahead of my time since we are January 2014 applicants and, of course, our case didn't get any improvement since SA.
I am planning to fly on Philippine Airlines to come back here with my wife once she gets her visa. I am living on the east coast so we will land in Toronto. Knowing that the flight is stopping in Vancouver first for refueling and dropping passengers, one question grew up in my mind. Do we will have to do the landing process in Vancouver since its the first place in Canada we will physically land or we can wait until Toronto since its the same flight?
The connecting time is about 1h30 so I want to make sure I will not miss the second flight because of processing.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am also open to other flight suggestions that would not involve transiting through the US.
Hi,
Its is a requirement that your wife get the landing status at the port of entry, in your case most likely will be Vancouver. You have no choice. About Airlines, flying is always hard to do, even the perfect fly is annoying, so don t worry about the comments of others as everybody has their own limits of tolerance. I have used PAL and it was a good experience. I have used China Easter-West Jet and the same... but in that case I have to fly through Shanghai. But as its transit, Visa is not required as long as the person holds a ticket to Canada "Aliens may be exempt from going through the procedures for obtaining a transit visa if they hold a through ticket and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport", So, China Easter is another good option and the prices can be very good depending on the day of travel, normally a ticket for a trip no longer than 21 days are the best priced, the day of the week to travel affects the price of the ticket also, so is good idea to be flexible to get the best price. I always have seen very competitive ticket prices when I look China Eastern.

JGM613

Apr 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
File Transfer...
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
30-10-2013 ... In Process 12-03-2014...Decision Made 14-03-2014 as per ECAS
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2014
LANDED..........
02-04=2014
Edgehead78 said:

@ truesmile, so you would recommend that I use an asian airline that is serving Toronto from Manila through another asian city? Do you have examples? Please not Air Canada as they are always more expensive than any other one.
I don't really want to process a transit visa for my wife in another country, including US, so I need a place where Filipinos are visa-exempt.

@ Step, What was your experience with PAL? Looks like truesmile had a bad one so I would like to know what is yours.

Given that the flight continues onwards from YVR tp YYZ...there's not nearly enough time to process the entire flight before the scheduled departure to YYZ...I would imagine that your partner would "Land" in Toronto..
Depending on the time of year that that happens allow plenty of time...a few hours between your PAL arrival and your domestic arrival...In March on a return through YYZ Ive never seen the International Arrivals hall so packed..we were held upstairs ....huge crowds..If I didnt go under the rope barrier and scoot down a stairway to Arrivals I would have missed my flight even with two hours in between...let alone an Immigration Landing..
If you're in doubt about where your partner lands...call them..? My wife had a question regarding her flight(YVR) and her email request for information was answered within a day..
For USA and Canada:
1-800-I-FLY-PAL or 1-800-4-359-725 (24 hours)
http://www1.philippineairlines.com/index.php/contact-us/

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-12-2014 Visa 23-12-2014
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
JGM613 said:
Given that the flight continues onwards from YVR tp YYZ...there's not nearly enough time to process the entire flight before the scheduled departure to YYZ...I would imagine that your partner would "Land" in Toronto..
Depending on the time of year that that happens allow plenty of time...a few hours between your PAL arrival and your domestic arrival...In March on a return through YYZ Ive never seen the International Arrivals hall so packed..we were held upstairs ....huge crowds..If I didnt go under the rope barrier and scoot down a stairway to Arrivals I would have missed my flight even with two hours in between...let alone an Immigration Landing..
If you're in doubt about where your partner lands...call them..? My wife had a question regarding her flight(YVR) and her email request for information was answered within a day..
For USA and Canada:
1-800-I-FLY-PAL or 1-800-4-359-725 (24 hours)
http://www1.philippineairlines.com/index.php/contact-us/
Yes that's a good idea. I think I will also give a try to CIC call center.
Like I said, I'm ahead of my time. I'm expecting her visa to be released for the christmas holidays so unfortunately, I'm also expecting crowded airports and high fares.
I guess I will overnight stay in TO since the flight is landing at 9 PM and I don't have a big choice of domestic flights to YUL after 9.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Edgehead78 said:
Yes that's a good idea. I think I will also give a try to CIC call center.
Like I said, I'm ahead of my time. I'm expecting her visa to be released for the christmas holidays so unfortunately, I'm also expecting crowded airports and high fares.
I guess I will overnight stay in TO since the flight is landing at 9 PM and I don't have a big choice of domestic flights to YUL after 9.
Yes, Its good to think ahead, yes, I agree on the fact that you may expect your partner's papers to be ready by December, and those are the higher airfare prices of the year,..... you can ask the CIC call centre about where is she going to get her landing, according to my experience will be Vancouver, If she lands there she need to be processed there, its no matter of your or her choice, and naturally I t takes time, therefore, allow enough time for your next flight, you don't want to miss it.... its good to plan ahead. The month of November the airfares are way lower, like 500 to 600.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Edgehead78 said:

Here are some prices for flights from Manila to Toronto on December... price is very good... to arrive as a Christmas gift....
China Eastern.
Flight 1 Monday, December 22, 2014
04:55 AM
Manila - [MNL]
2 Stops
[PVG] [YVR]
12:21 AM
Toronto, On - [YYZ]
Total Duration: 1d 8h 26m

WestJet
Flight 2 Thursday, January 8, 2015
10:00 PM
Toronto, On - [YYZ]
2 Stops
[YVR] [PVG]
03:40 AM
Manila - [MNL]
Total Duration: 1d 16h 40m
$1,219.78
Average/Person

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Edgehead78 said:

Yes, I was just looking at airfares last night (albeit Toronto to Manila), and the best price I found was Korean Airlines. I don't ever look at flights that have "2 stops", only 1 max for me. I notice the "duration" of your researched flights are in the neighbourhood of 32 hours plus. The duration of my last Korean flight was 21h 45m (going through Seoul, Korea). I agree, I haven't been on Air Canada in a while, but don't count them out. At least check their price before you book because you never know, and the total duration on Air Canada is under 20 hours. A friend of mine got an amazing price with them last spring.

The PAL flight I was on, was also only on the ground in Vancouver for one hour. Not only did we NOT get off the plane, we were NOT allowed off the plane. In that case, your wife will most certainly not be processed in Vancouver. For that point, I was quite impressed how quickly we got in and out of Vancouver.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
truesmile said:
Yes, I was just looking at airfares last night (albeit Toronto to Manila), and the best price I found was Korean Airlines. I don't ever look at flights that have "2 stops", only 1 max for me. I notice the "duration" of your researched flights are in the neighbourhood of 32 hours plus. The duration of my last Korean flight was 21h 45m (going through Seoul, Korea). I agree, I haven't been on Air Canada in a while, but don't count them out. At least check their price before you book because you never know, and the total duration on Air Canada is under 20 hours. A friend of mine got an amazing price with them last spring.

The PAL flight I was on, was also only on the ground in Vancouver for one hour. Not only did we NOT get off the plane, we were NOT allowed off the plane. In that case, your wife will most certainly not be processed in Vancouver. For that point, I was quite impressed how quickly we got in and out of Vancouver.
If passengers are not allowed out the plane then it may be possible to get the landing in Toronto, At the end of the day, where she puts her fit on land is what matters. That's is why we are called Landed Immigrants....

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-12-2014 Visa 23-12-2014
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
Awesomeg said:
If passengers are not allowed out the plane then it may be possible to get the landing in Toronto, At the end of the day, where she puts her fit on land is what matters. That's is why we are called Landed Immigrants....
May be possible? I guess she doesn't have choice to land in Toronto. Unless she wants to undergo the landing interview inside the aircraft. :D
Thanks guys for your research and replies. PAL is quoting me almost the same price as the price you posted previously Awesomeg, except that their baggage rule at this price is 1 suitcase which is not enough.

MarkandElvie

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
Wow! Got some great news today from CEM. My wife got her PPR today, we are both so excited. Now on to the next step, hopefully it won't take long. I got my AOR last August 8th 2013, it was a little slow but at least now its starting to move. Step, I'm an August AOR like you, hopefully soon my friend you'll be getting yours as well.

Chubbee

Star Member
Apr 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2013
File Transfer...
November 2013
MarkandElvie said:
Wow! Got some great news today from CEM. My wife got her PPR today, we are both so excited. Now on to the next step, hopefully it won't take long. I got my AOR last August 8th 2013, it was a little slow but at least now its starting to move. Step, I'm an August AOR like you, hopefully soon my friend you'll be getting yours as well.
Congrats!!

Step

Jan 4, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 21,2013
AOR Received.
August 26,2013
File Transfer...
September 13,2013
Med's Done....
Upfront. July 13,2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 29,2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 4,2014.
LANDED..........
June 24, 2014. 6:00 pm
MarkandElvie said:
Fantastic, hope everything goes fast for you now.
I think our PPR will come next month,a least it's great to see others receiving now.
Congrats, not long now. Hopefully.

MarkandElvie

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
Step said:
Fantastic, hope everything goes fast for you now.
I think our PPR will come next month,a least it's great to see others receiving now.
Congrats, not long now. Hopefully.
Yeah Step, I'm August 8th, your later in the month but only by a couple of weeks. Hoping all the best for you! Now we just got to wait for the next part to be done and hopefully that won't take too long. I've noticed the visa's are being issued a little faster then they were earlier in the year, but that could have been from the back log due to the strike and of course the typhoon victims. Anyways, good news is my wife has her PPR now we go from here.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Congrats! Yeah, it sure would be nice for you all to see them get back to the 'one month' visa after PPR, like it was a year and a half ago.

MarkandElvie

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
truesmile said:
Congrats! Yeah, it sure would be nice for you all to see them get back to the 'one month' visa after PPR, like it was a year and a half ago.
That would be nice, I've noticed that a lot of people are getting their visa's lately within 4 - 6 weeks. Hope that will be the same for my wife and I. She's so excited now, she doesn't think she's going to be able to sleep tonight.