+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Luggage restriction

toronto2011

May 22, 2011
Dear All

By the grace of God, we have received our immigrant visa, i am moving from pakistan to Edmonton.now my question is i am using connecting flights of two separate airlines, first from PIA to toronto then from westjet to Edmonton.PIA allows two bags per person and 7kg hand carry, but further west jet allows only one bag per person, when tag on the luggage will be of destination city i.e Edmonton, then how second air line can charge for 3rd n 4th bag.we will declare our POE our destination city, would't it will give relaxation for luggage restriction.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Airlines can make their own rules about luggage allowance. Westjet is a discount airline and this is why they allow fewer bags. If you want to bring a 3rd and 4th bag, you will have to pay an extra fee for each bag for the Toronto to Edmonton portion of your journey.

Sisifo

Nov 5, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to ask PIA or your travel agent for a sure answer.

i dont think they will tag your bag to Edmonton as you have to clear customs and immigration in Toronto. Also PIA and Westjet need to have an interline agreement for checking luggage through. if it is a discount airline it is highly unlikely that it has one.

Since your ticket says 1 piece from toronto to edmonton you will have to pay extra for the second piece. that cost should be available on the airlines website.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am pretty sure you will have to collect all your baggage and clear customs when you land in Canada. I have never heard of an airline tagging baggage that will ultimately be handled by a completely different company either. One thing - you will love Westjet. Their service is excellent and staff are funny and refreshing. I made my first trip on Westjet last year and must say I now check them first to see if they are going to my destination. BON VOYAGE!

dreamcanada

Star Member
Feb 23, 2009
hi ,
if u buy a single ticket from pakistan to edmonton , then u can checkin two luggage all the way. PIA will tag ur luggage till the end of journey. all in toronto , u have to collect ur luggage go thorugh immigration and cutoms and then u will find the collection agents of westjet to collect the luggage or u have to go there counter and just drop ur luggage.
as per the joint policy of all airlines , when ur having connection with two different airlines, the luggae policy of first airline where u first checkin ur luggage follows. so dont worry and just bring two luggage and if west jet ask for money tell them its against the international policy.

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pippin said:
I am pretty sure you will have to collect all your baggage and clear customs when you land in Canada. I have never heard of an airline tagging baggage that will ultimately be handled by a completely different company either. One thing - you will love Westjet. Their service is excellent and staff are funny and refreshing. I made my first trip on Westjet last year and must say I now check them first to see if they are going to my destination. BON VOYAGE!
Correct. You need to collect all your luggage and then re-check-in with west jet. It would cost you money. check the link

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/travel/basics/baggage/checked.shtml

Thanks

new_2_canada

Apr 25, 2011
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
one of my friends live in Canada and travel regularly, he told me the domestic budget careers will only allow on bag and you will need to pay for the second lugage he told me he has to pay $50 for additional item.