+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost PR Card without Residency Obligations - Complicated Case

aaroniclee

Dec 6, 2014
Re: Lost PR Card without Residency Obligations - Complicated Case [UPDATED]

Hey everyone, just an update to the entire situation.

So after talking to CIC and CBSA on the phone, they told me that if I couldn't get a travel document and couldn't get a replacement card yet, they told me to carry my COPR/Landing Paper and walk/drive across the border from United States. They said that they don't take people to secondary examination unless the circumstances look suspicious. (Perhaps if you're returning to Canada after years, or looks like you're illegally trying to enter.)

So after going for the wedding, I flew back to Buffalo and asked my friend to pick me up (if it matters, she was female and brought her sister along too). We reached the border, she hands all our passports to the officer, he first talks to them, and then asks me what's my status. I say i'm a PR, after which he asks for documentation. I asked him if a COPR will do, he said yup no problem. I show him the document, he asks where I went and how long I went for, I said the country I was going to and 2 weeks. He waves us through and we're good to go.

All in all, it was DEFINITELY a risk, so this is NOT something I recommend to everyone here. But, consider your individual factors and assess whether the risk you're taking is worth it. I carried my school transcripts, all my Canadian documents, my lease agreement etc to show that I was a legitimate citizen.

I hope this information helps. If you have any questions, message me on this thread (I don't check my CanadaVisa account often at all).