+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost job while on Work Permit / Temporary Resident, what's next?

tmartihs

Mar 24, 2016
Hello!

I have a Work Permit visa in my Passport that will expire in the middle of next year.

I do have many new interviews for the next couple weeks and I'm pretty sure that I'll find another job, really fast.

So, I want to know a few things:

1- Since my passport have a valid visa (not expired), can I travel to US and come back a week later? I mean, my Work Permit Visa is valid because there is an expire date written at my Passport, is that right? Can I count on that to re-entry in Canada?

I have a house here (renting) in Canada, bills to pay, bank account, employment insurance benefits, another car and all my stuff (computers, personal stuff, documents and etc) here. But I'm afraid that if I leave Canada, I'll not be able to come back. Can you guys confirm this to me?

2- Is it possible for me to open a Canadian company and work as a contractor, while I'm looking for a new job?

3- Is there any way to speed up my PR? I think that I don't have enough points to apply for it right now but, if there is anything that I can do, I wanna try. I want my PR!!! For God's sake...

4- When I first got the job here, I had to wait 3 months (LMIA procedure, I believe), while the job position was available for Canadians, let's say that I got a new job tomorrow, how the new LMIA process works? I mean, do I need to wait 3 months again? In the meanwhile, how can I work for the new company (since my current Work Permit is tied to the previous company), as a contractor? I'm curious about the procedure to get a new Work Permit within from Canada. This might happen often and be a regular process, am I right?

5- When the deportation process might start?

Much love for Canada!

It is amazing to be here and I can NOT go back!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - you should be fine.
2. No - that will be working illegally.
3. No - no way to speed up PR.
4. Yes - you'll need to get another LMIA. It will work the same way as the first time and it will take a number of months to process. Once the LMIA is approved you will need to apply for a new work permit and the new work permit will need to be approved before you can start working for your new employer.
5. There's no deportation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1- Since my passport have a valid visa (not expired), can I travel to US and come back a week later? I mean, my Work Permit Visa is valid because there is an expire date written at my Passport, is that right? Can I count on that to re-entry in Canada?

2- Is it possible for me to open a Canadian company and work as a contractor, while I'm looking for a new job?

3- Is there any way to speed up my PR? I think that I don't have enough points to apply for it right now but, if there is anything that I can do, I wanna try. I want my PR!!! For God's sake...

4- When I first got the job here, I had to wait 3 months (LMIA procedure, I believe), while the job position was available for Canadians, let's say that I got a new job tomorrow, how the new LMIA process works? I mean, do I need to wait 3 months again? In the meanwhile, how can I work for the new company (since my current Work Permit is tied to the previous company), as a contractor? I'm curious about the procedure to get a new Work Permit within from Canada. This might happen often and be a regular process, am I right?

5- When the deportation process might start?
Hi

1. You should be fine but no one can tell you that you will definitely be allowed re-entry. It is always up to the CBSA officer upon entry.

2. No. Working as a contractor would be illegal.

3. No, you can't speed up the PR process. If you don't have enough points, you need to focus on what you can do to improve that, such as increasing your IELTS score.

4. The LMIA process works exactly the same. The fact that you are already in Canada makes no difference. In the meantime, you are not allowed to work for the new company.

5. You can legally remain in Canada as long as your current work permit is valid, albeit as a visitor because you can't work for another employer. If you stay illegally beyond that, you will likely be found out eventually and action may be taken to remove you from Canada.

tmartihs

Mar 24, 2016
Thank you guys for the fast reply! I really appreciate it!

1- Okay, got it... If my visa is still valid at my Passport, even if I have no ties to the company anymore, I believe that it is okay... You know, it is about to happen a total solar eclipse across US on August 21 and I can not even think about losing that spectacle of nature!!! Worth the risk... And I just got the US Visa! :-D

2- Ok, thanks for the heads up. No deal then. That's fine, I was just curious.

3- Hmm... Okay, I do need better scores on IELTS anyway, gonna do it.

4- Oh, that's sucks... This means that people in similar situation have to stay away from working for 3 months! WTF! That's not good. It's a long time without working. Luckily I have a savings account!

5- Sure, good to know that there is no deportation. If things goes bad and my visa expires, I'll go back.

Just for the record, I have NO plans to do illegal things, EVER. Specially because I want my PR and become a Canadian citizen, I'll do it right, according with the immigration rules and the Canadian law.