+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Loss of status and no valid passport

Sep 16, 2017
Hello, I was hoping you could help me how to figure out how I should go about remaining in Canada after the loss of my temporary resident status.

Background: My Venezuelan passport expired earlier this year, but the country's government has a shortage and they haven't provided me with a replacement yet (I applied for one back in February). This led to the rejection of my BOWP application and my loss of status. My CEC application also didn't get approved, but that was due to unrelated issues regarding completion.

Given that I don't have an ETA for my new passport and I'm more than halfway through the 90-day grace period, my current plan was to apply to extend my stay as visitor (Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or a Temporary Resident Permit Holder) with a travel document that exclusively 'authorizes entry to Venezuela' and that supposedly has a validity of six months.

I was wondering:

1) Is there any other possible way for me to legally stay without a valid passport or to extend the grace period? If not, would my plan work?

2) How long does it take to get a decision on the application to remain? I checked the processing times site, but I'm not sure which option is the right one.

3) If approved, how long would the the visitor visa usually allow you to remain in Canada? Would that be inextricably linked to the travel document's expiry date?

After getting a new passport, I was planning to apply again for PR through Express Entry.

Apologies if these are dumb questions and I appreciate any kind of help/counselling I can get with this situation.

Thanks, everyone.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) No - your plan won't work unless you apply with a valid passport. You need a valid passport to extend your stay and to restore your status. Without a valid passport, you'll be refused. There is no way to extend the 90 day restoration period.

2) It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to hear the results of a restoration application.

3) It's up to CIC if they approve you and for how long. They will not approve you for longer than the validity of your passport.