+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Los Angeles Visa Office Applicants Check in here! :)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
bonacker said:
Hi All,

I'm a permanent resident of Canada, sponsoring a dependent child.

My son's file went to Los Angeles in September. (Not sure why L.A. I'm originally from New York, and that is still my son's legal residence, as we await news on his residence status. He's only three years old, but couldn't become a PR with me when I became one, two years ago, because he was still being adopted in the USA.)

Anyhoo. . . . It seems like LA has had the file forever and forever and forever. When I check his status online, I can see my own sponsorship info, but there is ZERO on his status. It doesn't even say it's been received.

Does this seem strangely long to be waiting? When I look at the typical wait times online, it says 10 months for LA. Is that correct?

Thanks, you guys!
Bonacker

PS: I actually initially sent in his application way back in March or April, but we had to redo it twice ... once because some of the forms expired between downloading them and sending them in (brilliant!) and again because they said I should be the sponsor, not my Canadian husband. So the complete and correct application only was accepted in June.
It took 5 months for them to approve my husband. I would assume you will probably not hear from them until around Feb/March, assuming everything is straight forward :)

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Thank you, Parker24! :D I've been pretty non-stressed about it. (Not like the first time around, when I was waiting for my own residency. I kind of figure: A three year old child? It's going to eventually work out, ya know?)

roysingh

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Hi, CIC is asking me to redo my Medical Exam. My medical has expired (Originally done in October 2011) since I was one of the buffalo cases transferred to Ottawa.
How many passport photos are required for medical exam for immigration to canada ? Should they be Canadian sized passport photos or American sized passport photos ? If it is Canadian, what size should it be ?

Thanks,

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
Well, it's been 13 days since our status changed to "Decision Made" and nothing in the mail as yet. We're getting really worried since even our MP hasn't heard anything from Immigration since putting in a request last week to find the status of our case. We can't even log into E-cas as we used to be able to /le sigh.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
roysingh said:
Hi, CIC is asking me to redo my Medical Exam. My medical has expired (Originally done in October 2011) since I was one of the buffalo cases transferred to Ottawa.
How many passport photos are required for medical exam for immigration to canada ? Should they be Canadian sized passport photos or American sized passport photos ? If it is Canadian, what size should it be ?

Thanks,
How many: Depends on where you are getting the medical done, call them and ask.
Size: Neither, they are immigration sized.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Belinasha said:
Well, it's been 13 days since our status changed to "Decision Made" and nothing in the mail as yet. We're getting really worried since even our MP hasn't heard anything from Immigration since putting in a request last week to find the status of our case. We can't even log into E-cas as we used to be able to /le sigh.
Hang in there!!! Ours didn't turn into Decision Made until after we got the passport!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Belinasha said:
There are a lot of reports of e-cas problems. It's something glitched in their system.

If you haven't received it in another week, I'd send a case specific inquiry to the VO. There is a process for replacing paperwork of course...

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
IvanP said:
That's soooo hard to believe!
I know. Up to this point I've always found e-cas to be infallible, right?

expatboarder

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP/O / LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2012
Doc's Request.
19-12-2012- Australia fingerprints and state clearances
AOR Received.
14-08-2012
File Transfer...
23-08-2012
Med's Done....
26-03-2012
Hi guys,

I am getting so depressed with this process. On Dec 19, my wife got an email from the LA visa office requesting that I redo all my state clearances and country clearances. The reason I guess because I was in Australia for a year - 14 years ago. I got a speeding ticket and I didnt have a drivers licence. I was a student there and thought I was covered for a year. This was 1 month before I came back to the states. I never received a ticket so i never paid a fine. Anyways this showed up on my Queensland traffic history report. I called an immigration lawyer about this before I sent in my application in May and he said its not a problem. Immigration is only looking for criminal history. Also, I got an Australia FBI clearance with fingerprinting and this came back clean. I got all my clearances back including from 3 states that i have lived for longer than 3 months. I have never had more trouble than a speeding ticket anywhere. I sent this back to immigration LA last friday. When do you think I will hear back? Also will they email me with correspondence or my wife? I found it strange that they emailed my wife on Dec 19 for me to redo my clearances. Since they wont respond to any email unless your case is longer than the time frame for LA which is 16 months now I guess I am in total limboland. This really sucks.

boarder

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
expatboarder said:
Hi guys,

I am getting so depressed with this process. On Dec 19, my wife got an email from the LA visa office requesting that I redo all my state clearances and country clearances. The reason I guess because I was in Australia for a year - 14 years ago. I got a speeding ticket and I didnt have a drivers licence. I was a student there and thought I was covered for a year. This was 1 month before I came back to the states. I never received a ticket so i never paid a fine. Anyways this showed up on my Queensland traffic history report. I called an immigration lawyer about this before I sent in my application in May and he said its not a problem. Immigration is only looking for criminal history. Also, I got an Australia FBI clearance with fingerprinting and this came back clean. I got all my clearances back including from 3 states that i have lived for longer than 3 months. I have never had more trouble than a speeding ticket anywhere. I sent this back to immigration LA last friday. When do you think I will hear back? Also will they email me with correspondence or my wife? I found it strange that they emailed my wife on Dec 19 for me to redo my clearances. Since they wont respond to any email unless your case is longer than the time frame for LA which is 16 months now I guess I am in total limboland. This really sucks.

boarder
The only time they talked to my husband (applicant) was to send him the PPR. They only replied to my e-mails as the sponsor.

That said, it might be another month or maybe less before they contact you.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
expatboarder said:
Hi guys,

boarder
How old are your police reports? If over a year old, they have expired so it means they are reviewing your file and can't issue the visa until they receive the updated police reports so hopefully if everything else is updated you'll hear once they review your file and see everything else is done :)

shaloo

Feb 5, 2013
Hello all,

I'm a US citizen married to a Canadian, working on moving to Quebec. New to this forum...found it as an outlet because no one understands the stress of this and I don't want to keep complaining to my husband, haha. My quick summary....my application was recieved January 20, 2012 and began processing in LA October 2, 2012. I had my medicals done March 12, 2012 and that makes me a little nervous, as it is right around the corner to one year. My husband has been approved as my sponsor and I recieved my CSQ in October I believe. On e-cas, I am "in process". So, jsut waiting around to see what happens. I am also pregnant and due in August, so that adds a fun twist to the equation :) Good luck everyone!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
shaloo said:
Hello all,

I'm a US citizen married to a Canadian, working on moving to Quebec. New to this forum...found it as an outlet because no one understands the stress of this and I don't want to keep complaining to my husband, haha. My quick summary....my application was recieved January 20, 2012 and began processing in LA October 2, 2012. I had my medicals done March 12, 2012 and that makes me a little nervous, as it is right around the corner to one year. My husband has been approved as my sponsor and I recieved my CSQ in October I believe. On e-cas, I am "in process". So, jsut waiting around to see what happens. I am also pregnant and due in August, so that adds a fun twist to the equation :) Good luck everyone!
Welcome!!! I will add your info to the spreadsheet later on :) Congrats on the baby! :) My husband didn't even know his medicals got extended until we got his COPR and it expired Dec 2013 haha :)

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
Our MP told us yesterday that our COPR was sent to our previous address in Ottawa on Jan 16th. I don't know how they could've screwed that up since we changed our addresses by mail, online and again when we sent the passport pages to LA after we got the PPR. Even our E-Cas had our current address updated for months. We contacted the tenants at our old address and they claim they've never received anything. Not really sure what to do. My hubby talked to the 1-800 people at immigration and they said we could send a request by mail to re-issue the COPR to our current address. He sent off a case specific inquiry to LA through both our emails and online through the immigration website. This is sooo discouraging since we thought my hubby would have landed by now :(