+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Los Angeles Visa Office Applicants Check in here! :)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Belinasha said:
Our MP told us yesterday that our COPR was sent to our previous address in Ottawa on Jan 16th. I don't know how they could've screwed that up since we changed our addresses by mail, online and again when we sent the passport pages to LA after we got the PPR. Even our E-Cas had our current address updated for months. We contacted the tenants at our old address and they claim they've never received anything. Not really sure what to do. My hubby talked to the 1-800 people at immigration and they said we could send a request by mail to re-issue the COPR to our current address. He sent off a case specific inquiry to LA through both our emails and online through the immigration website. This is sooo discouraging since we thought my hubby would have landed by now :(
Did you have a canada post forwarding thing going? That sucks that they didn't send to the right address!!! I would keep e-mailing LA. I had to e-mail them three times towards the end in order to get any kind of reply from them :(

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
We did have the forwarding thing going, but we've lived here for 4 months now and we only paid for 2 months of forwarding through Canada Post. Los Angeles had receipt of our address change back in October. Our E-Cas had shown the change of address since October for both my hubby and I. We sent the address change by mail and also on our cover letter when we submitted the passport pages and photos. We'll keep sending emails and I also sent one to the Minister of Immigration's office. They've replied before to us, but only after waiting 3 months. We'll send an email a day through all channels until someone does something.

expatboarder

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP/O / LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2012
Doc's Request.
19-12-2012- Australia fingerprints and state clearances
AOR Received.
14-08-2012
File Transfer...
23-08-2012
Med's Done....
26-03-2012
OhCanadiana said:
How old are your police reports? If over a year old, they have expired so it means they are reviewing your file and can't issue the visa until they receive the updated police reports so hopefully if everything else is updated you'll hear once they review your file and see everything else is done :)
I received my first police reports in March of 2012, 2 months before my wife submitted our application in May,2012. So we were in compliance with the time requirement. They requested additional state clearances and an Australian FBI clearance with fingerprinting check in dec/2012. I turned in everything last week, so I am hoping my parcel didnt go to the bottom of the pile.

Thanks for your response.
boarder

expatboarder

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP/O / LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
14-08-2012
File Transfer...
23-08-2012
Med's Done....
26-03-2012
Hi Everybody,

Wow I am surprised at no updates here since I posted. I sent an polite email to the LA office just asking if they have received my fedex with my extra clearances sent on jan 31. I am not expecting a response but I am so hoping my file will be completed soon. Has anyone gotten any response from the LA office either by email or phone?

I am planning to go to Canada on March 26 to help my wife move from Saskatchewan to BC since that is where we are planning to settle. I am getting 3 weeks off of work to do this. Our anniversary is March 28. Both of us are tired of putting our life on hold waiting for an email everyday. I hope I have my visa by then but if not at least I got to see my wife for our 1 year anniversary. They say the 1 year anniversary present is paper. Boy- that visa in hand by then would be the best anniversary present to both of us ever!

Good luck to all
boarder

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
expatboarder said:
Hi Everybody,

Wow I am surprised at no updates here since I posted. I sent an polite email to the LA office just asking if they have received my fedex with my extra clearances sent on jan 31. I am not expecting a response but I am so hoping my file will be completed soon. Has anyone gotten any response from the LA office either by email or phone?

I am planning to go to Canada on March 26 to help my wife move from Saskatchewan to BC since that is where we are planning to settle. I am getting 3 weeks off of work to do this. Our anniversary is March 28. Both of us are tired of putting our life on hold waiting for an email everyday. I hope I have my visa by then but if not at least I got to see my wife for our 1 year anniversary. They say the 1 year anniversary present is paper. Boy- that visa in hand by then would be the best anniversary present to both of us ever!

Good luck to all
boarder
I find they don't like to reply to e-mails, but if you used the form, they are more apt to reply to that.

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng.aspx?mission=los%20angeles

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
We have an update! LA responded to my Husband's case specific inquiry today and said that they cancelled the COPR that was sent to the wrong address and have re-issued a new one today. They even sent a scanned copy of the package slip so we can track it online. Didn't even take a week to get a response from LA AND we got an apology!!! I didn't think LA did that....LOL.

The one thing we're wondering about is the photos that we sent with the scanned passport pages after we got PPR. Should we bring 2 new photos with us when he goes to land?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Belinasha said:
We have an update! LA responded to my Husband's case specific inquiry today and said that they cancelled the COPR that was sent to the wrong address and have re-issued a new one today. They even sent a scanned copy of the package slip so we can track it online. Didn't even take a week to get a response from LA AND we got an apology!!! I didn't think LA did that....LOL.

The one thing we're wondering about is the photos that we sent with the scanned passport pages after we got PPR. Should we bring 2 new photos with us when he goes to land?

The photos you sent WITH the application will be on the COPR :)

expatboarder

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP/O / LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
14-08-2012
File Transfer...
23-08-2012
Med's Done....
26-03-2012
Belinasha said:

Congratulations :) I hope you have a smooth landing

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
parker24 said:
The photos you sent WITH the application will be on the COPR :)
Since they would have been attached to the first one that was sent to the wrong address, it's a fair question - they can't be attached to the replacement copy as well. In this case, the OP would need to have a new photo (you only really need one, not two, since the second copy is yours.)

Ivytwiks

Jan 23, 2012
hey i need some advice, i applied to LA last year in April for PR and they sent me an emil requesting for my passport on NOv, 22, 2013, unfortunatly i wasnt able to send them my passport right away and sent it in on the 11th jan,2012 (thats the date it was recieved), i know i sent it in late and reason being i wasnt bale to access my email in nov and dec so be the time i got through to my email it was jan so i did my best and sent it in as first as i could and it was recieved 10days before 60days grace period expired..

i made sure i sent in all the requirements they wanted and my passport but its been over 6weeks now and i have not had anything from them not even got my passport back. for sure my medicals expired on the 20th of Jan, 2013. the worsed part is am currently out of canada coz thats where i live and need my passport to get back so what can i do coz my flight is sxcheduled for this sunday and i have tried contacting the LA office no success with that and also sent them an email and no responce.

Am wondering if the reason for their delay with my passport is because i sent it in late or coz my medicals expired like am realy not sure why they would take this long, noticed every ones timeline for recieve passports back is 3-4 weeks or even earlier

ooh they are ment to send my passport to my address in canada where it will be recieved by a family member and sent to me by mail so i can travel back to canada but trust me am stuck

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Ivytwiks said:
hey i need some advice, i applied to LA last year in April for PR and they sent me an emil requesting for my passport on NOv, 22, 2013, unfortunatly i wasnt able to send them my passport right away and sent it in on the 11th jan,2012 (thats the date it was recieved), i know i sent it in late and reason being i wasnt bale to access my email in nov and dec so be the time i got through to my email it was jan so i did my best and sent it in as first as i could and it was recieved 10days before 60days grace period expired..

i made sure i sent in all the requirements they wanted and my passport but its been over 6weeks now and i have not had anything from them not even got my passport back. for sure my medicals expired on the 20th of Jan, 2013. the worsed part is am currently out of canada coz thats where i live and need my passport to get back so what can i do coz my flight is sxcheduled for this sunday and i have tried contacting the LA office no success with that and also sent them an email and no responce.

Am wondering if the reason for their delay with my passport is because i sent it in late or coz my medicals expired like am realy not sure why they would take this long, noticed every ones timeline for recieve passports back is 3-4 weeks or even earlier

ooh they are ment to send my passport to my address in canada where it will be recieved by a family member and sent to me by mail so i can travel back to canada but trust me am stuck
Did you send them the e-mail via the EMAIL or via the FORM? EMAIL is for general questions, FORM is for case specific.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Ivytwiks said:
i sent it via form
They usually respond within a month, hopefully they get back to you faster though!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ivytwiks said:

You may want to consider getting a second passport (assuming you are a US citizen or other nationality that allows second passports) if you need to make that flight on Sunday. Alternatively, if you are a US citizen and have a passport card you could try to change your flight to a border town and then drive across.

Good luck!

ETA: Give the Passport Office a call (1-877-487-2778, open until 10 p.m., EST tonight) or just go to a passport agency and explain the urgency when you get there and hope they let you in (they vary in strictness of needing appointment print out). You can get a second passport "when a passport needed for immediate travel is unavailable due to prolonged delays in processing a foreign visa application." The State Department document at http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/94669.pdf has the details - see page 1 - section 7(2)(b).

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
OhCanadiana said:
You may want to consider getting a second passport (assuming you are a US citizen or other nationality that allows second passports) if you need to make that flight on Sunday. Alternatively, if you are a US citizen and have a passport card you could try to change your flight to a border town and then drive across.
Any WHTI identification is sufficient to get across the border: Passport, Passport card, Nexus Card, or Enhanced Drivers License/Licence to name several. Of course, a Canadian PR card is enough to get back into Canada as well.

At this point it's not likely one could obtain a second US passport before next Tuesday due to the US President's Day holiday in any case.