+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Los Angeles Visa Office Applicants Check in here! :)

happylaw

Star Member
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2012
File Transfer...
May 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct 22, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CORP received Dec 5, 2012
LANDED..........
VERY SOON
Does anyone know on average how long it takes for the passport to come back once its mailed out? I mailed mine out 3 and 1/2 weeks ago and still havent heard anything. I am getting so impatient I wish I could stop thinking about it so much! I know Im preaching to the crowd here!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
glenmhakie said:
I agree! I've been stressing since I sent my passport. I also booked a flight for monday to go back home to TX for thanksgiving...I will have to cancel since I can't travel without my passport.

I'm in canada visiting my partner when I got an email to send my passport. I only had 10 days to send my passport.
I know this is too late in your case, but for future reference, in any case where you have imminent travel it's best to include a copy of your itinerary along with your passport submission. This is what I did (with LA) and they returned my passport 11 days after receipt - so I had enough time to get it back prior to my travel. Fortunately, I had a backup plan (the US will issue a second passport under certain circumstances.)

If you really need to travel soon, you should contact the US consulate/embassy and obtain a new passport. Alternatively, if you can get to a US border crossing, you can go through the citizenship verification process with them - there's a whole protocol for confirming that you are a US Citizen in the absence of a proper WHTI document.

glenmhakie

May 8, 2012
computergeek said:
I know this is too late in your case, but for future reference, in any case where you have imminent travel it's best to include a copy of your itinerary along with your passport submission. This is what I did (with LA) and they returned my passport 11 days after receipt - so I had enough time to get it back prior to my travel. Fortunately, I had a backup plan (the US will issue a second passport under certain circumstances.)

If you really need to travel soon, you should contact the US consulate/embassy and obtain a new passport. Alternatively, if you can get to a US border crossing, you can go through the citizenship verification process with them - there's a whole protocol for confirming that you are a US Citizen in the absence of a proper WHTI document.

I wasn't thinking when I sent my passport. All I was concerned about was getting my passport to LA. I should've included my itenirary then but I guess it's too late now. What documents should I carry should I carry if I were to go to the border? And how do I go about getting a new passport at the US embassy? Is LA going to send the passport to my mailing address in TX or here in Canada since I sent it from here?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
glenmhakie said:
I wasn't thinking when I sent my passport. All I was concerned about was getting my passport to LA. I should've included my itenirary then but I guess it's too late now. What documents should I carry should I carry if I were to go to the border? And how do I go about getting a new passport at the US embassy? Is LA going to send the passport to my mailing address in TX or here in Canada since I sent it from here?
Well, if you had a week to go I'd suggest FAXING or e-mailing the information to LA with your travel itinerary. But on the Friday before there's nothing you can do.

Unless you asked them to send it to you at a specific address, you should receive it at the mailing address they have on file for you.

As for entering the US without a passport, you can always contact CBP for details, but I did find a nice blog post about this issue: http://acrosstheborder.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/answer-to-question-about-passport-requirements-at-the-border/

The law says that a US citizen may not be refused entry into the US. The trick is "how do I prove that I am a US citizen". If you have a scanned or printed copy of your passport, that would help at a POE.

I'm lucky - I have two valid US passports and a NEXUS card. Next time I renew my main passport (the one with the 10 year expiration) I will also order a passport card so I have another backup (the second passport is only good for two years.)

glenmhakie

May 8, 2012
computergeek said:
Well, if you had a week to go I'd suggest FAXING or e-mailing the information to LA with your travel itinerary. But on the Friday before there's nothing you can do.

Unless you asked them to send it to you at a specific address, you should receive it at the mailing address they have on file for you.

As for entering the US without a passport, you can always contact CBP for details, but I did find a nice blog post about this issue: http://acrosstheborder.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/answer-to-question-about-passport-requirements-at-the-border/

The law says that a US citizen may not be refused entry into the US. The trick is "how do I prove that I am a US citizen". If you have a scanned or printed copy of your passport, that would help at a POE.

I'm lucky - I have two valid US passports and a NEXUS card. Next time I renew my main passport (the one with the 10 year expiration) I will also order a passport card so I have another backup (the second passport is only good for two years.)
I changed my mailing address on E-cas back in aug. to the address here in canada but they never changed it. I read somewhere in the forum that E-cas isn't reliable with updates. I wonder if CIC changed it on their end when they received my change of address.

I have my naturalization certificate with me, I think that's enough to prove i'm a US citizen.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
simb said:
any advices on how to prepare for interview... I got Interview in April 2013 :(
VO LA office
Wha?! Really? Oh I'm so sorry :( Hopefully it goes well. I haven't really heard of US citizens getting interviews!

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
parker24 said:
Wha?! Really? Oh I'm so sorry :( Hopefully it goes well. I haven't really heard of US citizens getting interviews!
well. I am not a US citizen... but I am from visa exempt country...
any suggestions, advices are welcome about the interview :(

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
simb said:
well. I am not a US citizen... but I am from visa exempt country...
any suggestions, advices are welcome about the interview :(
I would order your notes for sure, find out why they are requesting an interview.

backcountry

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-12
AOR Received.
26-06-12
File Transfer...
28-06-12
Med's Done....
07-01-12
Passport Req..
20-11-12
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-12
LANDED..........
04-12-12
computergeek said:
CG, are American citizens permitted to have both a valid passport AND a passport card? Because my wife's PR is taking so long and she's not, according to Ecas even "in process", my concern is that she'll be required to send her passport sometime around March when we're planning a trip to the U.S. I'm wondering if it might be prudent to have her apply for a PP card now, if that's a viable option. Thoughts?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
backcountry said:
CG, are American citizens permitted to have both a valid passport AND a passport card? Because my wife's PR is taking so long and she's not, according to Ecas even "in process", my concern is that she'll be required to send her passport sometime around March when we're planning a trip to the U.S. I'm wondering if it might be prudent to have her apply for a PP card now, if that's a viable option. Thoughts?
Yes, American citizens may have both a passport and a passport card simultaneously (without special permission to do so).

Note that the passport card is only valid for land crossings. If your wife is in the US and close to a State Department Passport Agency, if she makes an appointment and turns in the documents there, she can probably ask them to validate her citizenship and identity and keep her passport (the exact procedures vary between different passport offices).

The list of Passport Agencies are at http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

pixieprincess

Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2011
Med's Request
29-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012...received by mail on 20-11-2012
why is it taking so long for me to get my passport back?!? I sent my passport 5 weeks ago and I know they got it 4 days after I mailed it. grrr I thought the waiting part was over but I guess not.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
backcountry said:
In fact, American citizens may have two passports under certain circumstances (I do, I needed the second for a visa that interfered with my travel and that's valid grounds for issuance of a second US passport). The passport card must be tied to the first passport, however.

You can also have a Nexus card, which provides expedited clearance at the US/Canadian border, as well as access to Global Entry (in the US or US bound entry points in Canada), TSA Pre-check (US airport), Nexus lane access (Canadian Airport), and they just annouced self-clearing with Australia. Best $50 I've EVER spent ($50, good for 5 years. The only thing you can't do is use it for commercial carriers - they need your passport.)

If you are in Canada, the US consulate or embassy may assist you in renewing your passport as well.

backcountry

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-12
AOR Received.
26-06-12
File Transfer...
28-06-12
Med's Done....
07-01-12
Passport Req..
20-11-12
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-12
LANDED..........
04-12-12
Thanks OC and GC, I'm going to look into that!

Another quick question, different topic.

My wife applied for a VR extension back in August, it was received and signed for on August 31st, yet still no word, 2.5 months later. My understanding is that she has "implied status" and as long as we keep the Canada Post and filing fee receipts as proof of having sent it we should be ok, but her original 6 month VR expired on Oct. 6 and we're none too comfortable without a new one. I'm hesitant to make an inquiry as sometimes no news is good news, and with her being only 5.5 weeks away from our first child's due date (Christmas Day!), I don't want to make waves, if you know what I mean. Does it seem "normal" that it would take so long to hear something in that regard?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
backcountry said:
My wife applied for a VR extension back in August, it was received and signed for on August 31st, yet still no word, 2.5 months later. My understanding is that she has "implied status" and as long as we keep the Canada Post and filing fee receipts as proof of having sent it we should be ok, but her original 6 month VR expired on Oct. 6 and we're none too comfortable without a new one. I'm hesitant to make an inquiry as sometimes no news is good news, and with her being only 5.5 weeks away from our first child's due date (Christmas Day!), I don't want to make waves, if you know what I mean. Does it seem "normal" that it would take so long to hear something in that regard?
I'm assuming you submitted a paper application. According to the CIC website's information on processing time, as of November 14, 2012 they are working on paper applications received August 3, 2012.

So you're still about 4 weeks away from a decision on that application.