+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Long marriage certificate

sai23

Star Member
Jul 15, 2023
Immigration notified me that they are waiting for a copy of my 'long' marriage certificate. Apparently this is a marriage certificate issued after registration with birth, deaths and marriages in Fiji. I'm not from Fiji and I'm not aware of such a certificate. I asked my husband how to obtain this, and he also doesn't know.

I had already submitted our marriage certificate when I applied for my husband's pr and I thought IRCC was satisfied with the certificate we provided, but now it seems like they need more information. Does anyone know how to obtain this certificate? Would my husband and myself be submitting this to IRCC or would the relevant authorities submit this information? I'm even more confused now since there was an update on Sep 21 on the PR tracker notifying us that IRCC has received our marriage certificate. It seems like IRCC is going back and forth with my husband's application.

I initially raised a webform to ask if IRCC had received my husband's police certificate. They confirmed today they have received it and then they notified us that they are waiting for our long marriage certificate, which was a total surprise to us.

Would appreciate any thoughts/input. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Immigration notified me that they are waiting for a copy of my 'long' marriage certificate. Apparently this is a marriage certificate issued after registration with birth, deaths and marriages in Fiji. I'm not from Fiji and I'm not aware of such a certificate. I asked my husband how to obtain this, and he also doesn't know.

I had already submitted our marriage certificate when I applied for my husband's pr and I thought IRCC was satisfied with the certificate we provided, but now it seems like they need more information. Does anyone know how to obtain this certificate? Would my husband and myself be submitting this to IRCC or would the relevant authorities submit this information? I'm even more confused now since there was an update on Sep 21 on the PR tracker notifying us that IRCC has received our marriage certificate. It seems like IRCC is going back and forth with my husband's application.

I initially raised a webform to ask if IRCC had received my husband's police certificate. They confirmed today they have received it and then they notified us that they are waiting for our long marriage certificate, which was a total surprise to us.

Would appreciate any thoughts/input. Thanks.
Where did you get married?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got married in Fiji. I am a Canadian citizen, and my husband is from Fiji.
Ah - got it. The way you asked your question made me think you didn't even get married there.

Can you confirm that you provided the actual marriage certificate as part of your application and not just the marriage license?

sai23

Star Member
Jul 15, 2023
Ah - got it. The way you asked your question made me think you didn't even get married there.

Can you confirm that you provided the actual marriage certificate as part of your application and not just the marriage license?
Yes I provided the marriage certificate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I provided the marriage certificate.
The one with the apostille seal from the Ministry of foreign affairs? Not a version of what was sent to them to get the stamp?

EDIT: I may have the wrong ministry but I'm pretty sure it's called an apostille seal. Basically you submit the completed certificate with witnesses and everything and the government ministry sends a version back with the seal.

Last edited:

sai23

Star Member
Jul 15, 2023
The one with the apostille seal from the Ministry of foreign affairs? Not a version of what was sent to them to get the stamp?

EDIT: I may have the wrong ministry but I'm pretty sure it's called an apostille seal. Basically you submit the completed certificate with witnesses and everything and the government ministry sends a version back with the seal.
Edit: I actually just found out that we were in possession of the registration, not the certificate. My husband was able to obtain the certificate of marriage from the ministry. So I just submitted the certificate to IRCC. Thanks very much @scylla for your helpful input. I believe this lack of certificate may be causing the delay of my husband's background check, although I thought IRCC uses the marriage certificate to assess eligibility (which has already been completed for my husband), but I could be wrong.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla