+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO refused- Administrative Review

Reyan619

Nov 10, 2013
Hi everyone,
My LMO got refused on baseless reasons for NOC 6242 Cook. My lawyer made an administrative appeal against the decision. But I am hearing things from people that one cannot appeal the LMO decision. Is it true ?

Thanks a ton :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
As "cook" has now been removed from CEC eligibility, it is quite reasonable to believe that Canada is not short of cooks, hence the LMO refusal. What are your "baseless reasons"?

Reyan619

Nov 10, 2013
hey there zardoz,
My lmo was refused on september 18th and the rules got changed on nov 8th. By the way the officer said that she has dined at Popeyes Lousiana Kitchen and she thinks that I am not a Cook instead I am just a Food Counter Attendant. So on the basis of personal presumption the officer gave the decision. I studied here in Canada and I was on Post Grad work permit when I applied for the LMO. Then the reasons were:

1. The employer did not sufficiently demonstrate that there is a reasonable employement need for this job in the business.

2.The wages offered are not consistent with prevailing wages paid to Canadian in the requested occupation.

3.The working conditions offered are not consistent with the prevailing working conditions offered to Canadians in requested occupation.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I'm not an LMO expert but those reasons seem far from "baseless". Also, the officer has special knowledge in this area it seems.

I haven't seen anything that prohibits an officer from using relevant information that they possess.

Good luck, but I think that you are unlikely to succeed at an appeal.

Let's see what other, more LMO experienced, members have to offer as advice.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Sorry I am not an expert either, but just looking at #1 it appears the employer may not have advertised in good faith or provided satisfactory reasons for turning down local candidates. An LMO will only be granted if there are no suitable local applicants. If the job was advertised poorly, offering wages and working conditions that are unattractive, etc. the VO may think the employer was not really trying to fill the position. This would cover points 2 and 3. It sounds as if the employer has to produce a new month of advertising in line with Canadian standards before he applies for a new LMO. All the best.

Reyan619

Nov 10, 2013
Hi Pippin,
Thanks for the reply. But I was on a Post grad work permit and my lawyer told if I am applying LMO after PGWP my employer don't need to advertise the position. Most of the lawyers told me the same.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Ah.. I think that I understand now. http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/variations.shtml
Category: International graduates holding a work permit under the Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Description: The employer wants to hire a foreign worker whose Labour Market Opinion exempt work permit, issued under the PGWPP, will soon expire.

Variation: The employer is making a permanent job offer in a skilled position (i.e. within NOC 0, A and B codes only) to international graduates who have completed the PGWPP. The employer is not required to demonstrate recruitment efforts.

Applicability: All Provinces
The advertising requirements are only dropped if it's a NOC 0, A or B job. I think that the job was reassessed as not being of a high enough NOC code and therefore the advertising requirements stand. Therefore the refusal.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes they have. It's implied by the general statement in 1). If there was a "need", any reasonable employer would have advertised for an employee. The reasons given in 2) and 3) are pretty conclusive as well.

Reyan619

Nov 10, 2013
ok...but the thing is I was already working for that employer before applying LMO. And it was also stated in the offer letter attached with the LMO.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If your PGWP was about to expire, the fact that you were currently employed by them doesn't remove the requirement for a normal LMO assessment. Sorry, but I think that you are out of luck.

Anyway, I have done my best for you. Wait for other experts on LMO processing.