+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO for two month paid research internship at a University for an IIT student ?

Nov 10, 2012
Hey,

I am a student of IIT Kharagpur. I have been selected for a 10-week Research Internship Position at the Memorial University of New Foundland.
I have been asked by the professor to acquire the required Visa and Work Permit to enter Canada as a student intern.

I will be paid as I assist them in this research project. The project that I will be working on is related to my department at IIT KHARAGPUR.

I am confused whether I require a LMO or not? My professor said that student intern positions for short term employment do not require the LMO.

So many students from my college have gone to CANADA through MITACS without a LMO, how is my case different from theirs?

Am really confused, what all documents will be required and under what exemption will I not be requiring a LMO. Any other suggestions?

arjunsharma

Dec 31, 2012
Hi

I am in a similar situation. Can you please share some details regarding the documentation and the various permits that you needed to apply to?

Ahtisham Nabi

Mar 29, 2024
Hello I have been selected by a professor for about 2 and half months in university of alberta for an unpaid research internship.Should I show proof of funds for my visitor visa application?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello I have been selected by a professor for about 2 and half months in university of alberta for an unpaid research internship.Should I show proof of funds for my visitor visa application?
Yes. If not how will you support yourself. How can you come to Canada on a TRV and work for free? You need a LMIA Exemption.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How much funds should I show for this period
Estimate how much it will costs to live for two and half months - food, accommodations, airfare, insurance, transportation. You need to show enough money not to use all your savings. How are you legally able to work for free on a TRV?