+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO for Animation Studio?

KAnimator

May 12, 2014
Hi,

I got a job offer in Ontario at an animation studio. Because of a lot of misinformation I was getting, I wasn't eligible for the PGWP anymore so while I went to the border to "flagpole" one, the immigration officer said I would need to get a regular work permit and for my employer to apply for the LMO.

However, I got in contact with the only other American working at this studio and she said I do not need an LMO, since I have a BA as a "skilled worker" under the graphic design category under NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement.)

I can't find much info on other people getting LMOs for animation studios so I'm a bit confused. If I actually do require an LMO, how long do they usually take to get approved? (since it seems like the length it takes depends on the employer and job.)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you fall under NAFTA then you don't need an LMO.

If you don't fall under NAFTA and do need an LMO then you are looking at anywhere from 6-20 weeks of processing time for the LMO. This is in addition to the 1 month of advertising the employer has to complete first to prove no Canadian could be hired for the role.

KAnimator

May 12, 2014
I talked today to another American working at the same studio I'm going to, and since I have a Bachelor's from Sheridan in Ontario (as well as some experience in the field on my paid internship in Ottawa last year which helps too), I'm considered a skilled professional under the Graphic Design category (which includes animators). I just have to print out and present all of this NAFTA information to the immigration officers at the border because apparently they don't really know about it, which is why they told me I needed an LMO.

This was sure a life saver!

prashanthbv

Jun 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2015
Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I am currently working for a animation company in toronto with a pgwp. It is expiring in august this year. Could you please tell me if i would need an lmo to extend my work permit? I have done post secondary certificate from Seneca college in Toronto. Overall i have experience more than 6 years( in India). I would really appreciate if you can share some information regarding this. Thanks

logxy

Jun 25, 2014
prashanthbv said:
Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I am currently working for a animation company in toronto with a pgwp. It is expiring in august this year. Could you please tell me if i would need an lmo to extend my work permit? I have done post secondary certificate from Seneca college in Toronto. Overall i have experience more than 6 years( in India). I would really appreciate if you can share some information regarding this. Thanks

man, op is American. only American and Mexican qualify under north American free trade agreement.

kvigus

Aug 6, 2014
KAnimator said:
I talked today to another American working at the same studio I'm going to, and since I have a Bachelor's from Sheridan in Ontario (as well as some experience in the field on my paid internship in Ottawa last year which helps too), I'm considered a skilled professional under the Graphic Design category (which includes animators). I just have to print out and present all of this NAFTA information to the immigration officers at the border because apparently they don't really know about it, which is why they told me I needed an LMO.

This was sure a life saver!

Hello,

I'm also an American animator with a BA in Animation and Digital Media, with a job offer at a studio in Vancouver, looking to start in Sept.

Did you have any trouble at the border using the NAFTA agreement, even though the occupation is technically listed as "Graphic Design" as being exempt from an LMO?

Also, did you print the "National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011" - "5241 - Graphic designers and illustrators" info as clarification of the occupation dispute?

Thanks!

Any advice would be helpful.

flanimator

Oct 10, 2015
Hi

I just want to ask if the company is willing to hire you but LMO is blocking the way for the eligibility of the position is there any way that I can get an LMO? I am from philippines most of the project that I did was from the Canadian media production, distribution and broadcasting company and the LMO is the only thing that is blocking the way of getting me hired any advice?

Thanks guys

ddlykitten

Oct 3, 2015
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
scylla said:
If you fall under NAFTA then you don't need an LMO.

If you don't fall under NAFTA and do need an LMO then you are looking at anywhere from 6-20 weeks of processing time for the LMO. This is in addition to the 1 month of advertising the employer has to complete first to prove no Canadian could be hired for the role.

For the information, for NOC 5241 Graphic Designer who wish to work in a game, film, and animation company in BC, Ontario, and Quebec, they don't need advertisement to get LMIA.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ddlykitten said:
For the information, for NOC 5241 Graphic Designer who wish to work in a game, film, and animation company in BC, Ontario, and Quebec, they don't need advertisement to get LMIA.
That particular exemption applies to BC & Ontario only. Thanks for posting it! :)

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/variations.shtml

ddlykitten

Oct 3, 2015
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
Lammawitch said:
That particular exemption applies to BC & Ontario only. Thanks for posting it! :)
Quebec recently set up similar exception, called La démarche simplifiée and NOC 5241 is eligible in Quebec as well :)

I tried to link gov website but not able to. Showing this error "Sorry, you are not allowed to post links." What's this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ddlykitten said:
Quebec recently set up similar exception, called La démarche simplifiée and NOC 5241 is eligible in Quebec as well :)

I tried to link gov website but not able to. Showing this error "Sorry, you are not allowed to post links." What's this?
It's to prevent spammers. You haven't been a member long enough to post links to the forum.

ddlykitten

Oct 3, 2015
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
scylla said:
It's to prevent spammers. You haven't been a member long enough to post links to the forum.
Got it. Been here as a guest for more than one year but created my ID a few days ago, haha.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ddlykitten said:

Quite right (although the process is not quite the same when the job is in QC).

I believe this may the link you wanted to post?
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/employeurs/embaucher-temporaire/recrutement-haut-salaire/liste-professions.html

ddlykitten

Oct 3, 2015
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
Lammawitch said:
Quite right (although the process is not quite the same when the job is in QC).

I believe this may the link you wanted to post?
Yes. It is what I mentioned. Thanks for the link.