+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lmia to get new work permit

Rose328

Apr 20, 2018
I am currently in Canada and my open work permit is due to expire on the 5th of June. I have a job as a licensed hair stylist. My boss is wiling to put a lmia through for me from what I understand I can re apply and stay until it is approved or whatever the outcome is. Is this true? Can I stay until everything is sorted? Or do I have to leave? If so can I come back?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently in Canada and my open work permit is due to expire on the 5th of June. I have a job as a licensed hair stylist. My boss is wiling to put a lmia through for me from what I understand I can re apply and stay until it is approved or whatever the outcome is. Is this true? Can I stay until everything is sorted? Or do I have to leave? If so can I come back?
To be able to stay in Canada and continue working, you must submit a new work permit application before your old work permit expires. To be able to submit a new work permit, you need an approved LMIA. The LMIA process typically takes months and it's unlikely you'll have an approved LMIA and be able to submit the new work permit application before your old work permit expires.

You should apply to change your status to visitor. This will allow you to remain in Canada legally after your work permit expires. You will have to stop working as soon as your work permit expires. Once the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a new work permit. Once the new work permit is approved, you'll be able to start working again.

Note that for the LMIA to be approved, your employer will have to start by advertising the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role.

Rose328

Apr 20, 2018
To be able to stay in Canada and continue working, you must submit a new work permit application before your old work permit expires. To be able to submit a new work permit, you need an approved LMIA. The LMIA process typically takes months and it's unlikely you'll have an approved LMIA and be able to submit the new work permit application before your old work permit expires.

You should apply to change your status to visitor. This will allow you to remain in Canada legally after your work permit expires. You will have to stop working as soon as your work permit expires. Once the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a new work permit. Once the new work permit is approved, you'll be able to start working again.

Note that for the LMIA to be approved, your employer will have to start by advertising the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role.
Ok so I just read that that my job type is Exempt from the lmia and I can do express entry. It is under type B. So can I just do express entry with my job offer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok so I just read that that my job type is Exempt from the lmia and I can do express entry. It is under type B. So can I just do express entry with my job offer?
Where did you read that a hairstylist is exempt from an LMIA? The fact it's a NOC that's skill level B does not make it exempt.

The short answer to your question is that you can certainly apply for Express Entry, however without an approved LMIA, you won't get the 50 job offer points. So you need to have enough points to be selected without a job offer.

There's also the issue of your current work permit that's expiring in about a month. Without an approved LMIA, you cannot extend that work permit.

rtbrfr

Jan 31, 2015
hi syclla,

i believe you are expert in open work permit.

Can you please take some time and advise me.
an agent is telling me that i will get employer specific open work permit for 2 years. place can be toronto, bc or saswkatchwen. He is chargin me 15000 CAD in three installement. I am about to enter in agreement this sunday. he told to bring up you passport and cv and we will get your offer letter for store keeper. I asked and confirmed about fake procedures and documents. H replied that we will have agreement, if you dont get open work permit full money will be returned back as agreed. he assures he is transparent and will get lima and offer letter.

Please guide me should i accept the offer.

Thanks in advance.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
hi syclla,

i believe you are expert in open work permit.

Can you please take some time and advise me.
an agent is telling me that i will get employer specific open work permit for 2 years. place can be toronto, bc or saswkatchwen. He is chargin me 15000 CAD in three installement. I am about to enter in agreement this sunday. he told to bring up you passport and cv and we will get your offer letter for store keeper. I asked and confirmed about fake procedures and documents. H replied that we will have agreement, if you dont get open work permit full money will be returned back as agreed. he assures he is transparent and will get lima and offer letter.

Please guide me should i accept the offer.

Thanks in advance.
You are not eligible for an open work permit unless you qualify under specific terms such as a spouse who is an international student in Canada or you have already applied for PR. Seems to me that consultant is trying to scam you by providing a fake job offer.

By getting a work permit, a LMIA must be obtained first. The potential employer must obtain a approved LMIA and processing can take 3 to 4 months. This is very expensive and has a high refusal rate which is why most employers won't apply for LMIA.