+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA for Dad who is an Engineer

Shawarma

Jul 31, 2010
Hello,

I am interested in having my Dad come to live with me. I am well aware of the Super Visa option, however, I would like him to live with me more permanently. I please wanted your thoughts on the following:

-If I opened a small home-office based consultancy firm
-Worked hard and ran the show alone and got actual clients for a few months
-Applied for an LMIA to hire my father genuinely to contribute to the firm

Is this at all realistic? I do intend to advertise the job and honestly entertain other candidates, but do you think if I have the bandwidth of hiring just a single person, I would be able to justify hiring my Dad? Or would there be any conflict of interest?

Would please appreciate any replies. Or any advise on how to go about doing this. Unfortunately, the Parents sponsorship is an option that is too painful to pursue at this point ...

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't meant to be rude or negative here but this wouldn't even get off the ground. It will be virtually impossible to convince ESDC and CIC that your dad is the only qualified person to work in your home-office based consultancy firm unless the only customer for that firm is you and your dad's job is to be a father to you! Most probably, there will be no other Canadian citizen or PR more qualified for that job than your father. And that is the most basic requirement for an LMIA positive response from ESDC.

Dark humor aside, this cannot work.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
No matter what colour the humour, the business also has to qualify. Look at the requirements for the number of employees and for how many years the business must be in operation. Perhaps going for the super visa would be a good first step, then your Dad can look for employment while he is here. Good luck.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shawarma said:
Hello,

I am interested in having my Dad come to live with me. I am well aware of the Super Visa option, however, I would like him to live with me more permanently. I please wanted your thoughts on the following:

-If I opened a small home-office based consultancy firm
-Worked hard and ran the show alone and got actual clients for a few months
-Applied for an LMIA to hire my father genuinely to contribute to the firm

Is this at all realistic? I do intend to advertise the job and honestly entertain other candidates, but do you think if I have the bandwidth of hiring just a single person, I would be able to justify hiring my Dad? Or would there be any conflict of interest?

Would please appreciate any replies. Or any advise on how to go about doing this. Unfortunately, the Parents sponsorship is an option that is too painful to pursue at this point ...
This surely wouldn't work. But as suggested, your dad could come on a super visa and then look for someone legitimate to offer him an LMIA. You may also apply for him under the family option when it reopens for parents.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Shawarma said:
Is this at all realistic?
No - it's not at all realistic. If it was that easy - everyone would be doing it.

If your father wants to go the work permit route, he needs to apply for jobs with companies that are already established and where no family members are involved.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Even with a legitimate business, LMIA would be extremely hard for being hired as an engineer. The business would have to advertise the job and look for domestic applications. With the current economy in Canada and especially so many oil-industry-related layoffs, it's hard to think an engineer position will be unnoticed.

And even by the oddest chance no one apply, it's still under scrutiny of EDSC and Service Canada, which historically have an 70-80% rejection rate.