+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lmia flagpoling on implied status

zirakias

Jul 10, 2023
Hi , few weeks ago my lmia closed work permit application was refused due to lack of documents that I did not submit , my fault.
I hired an immigration lawyer who told me sincd I am on implied status , I have two options , either to stay and wait approximately 5 months or flagpole which is risky .
Does anybody flagpole on lmia and on implied status ? Can you share your experience ? Is it really risky ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi , few weeks ago my lmia closed work permit application was refused due to lack of documents that I did not submit , my fault.
I hired an immigration lawyer who told me sincd I am on implied status , I have two options , either to stay and wait approximately 5 months or flagpole which is risky .
Does anybody flagpole on lmia and on implied status ? Can you share your experience ? Is it really risky ?
Can you clarify how you have implied / maintained status? Did you reapply for the work permit after the first one was refused and before your current visa expired?

Flagpoling is always a bit hit and miss. Most likely the biggest risk is that they simply don't issue the WP.

Reactions: YVR123

zirakias

Jul 10, 2023
Can you clarify how you have implied / maintained status? Did you reapply for the work permit after the first one was refused and before your current visa expired?

Flagpoling is always a bit hit and miss. Most likely the biggest risk is that they simply don't issue the WP.
Well my guess is I'm out of status but I have 90 days to restore it , my lawyer said that I must decide first which path I want to follow , they will do different application to reapply for closed work permit and different for poe application as I understood . I just don't want to wait 5 months to get the wp without work and paying rent etc . While I can try the Poe at the airport or land . How risky is it ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well my guess is I'm out of status but I have 90 days to restore it , my lawyer said that I must decide first which path I want to follow , they will do different application to reapply for closed work permit and different for poe application as I understood . I just don't want to wait 5 months to get the wp without work and paying rent etc . While I can try the Poe at the airport or land . How risky is it ?
You don't want to flagpole when you are out of status. That is risky.

Flagpoling cannot be done at an airport. You would have to go to a US/Canada land border, exit Canada and then re-enter. Not recommended if you are out of status in Canada.

I can't tell you the level of risk.

Reactions: YVR123

zirakias

Jul 10, 2023
Strange , that's the first thing I hear that you can't do in the airport . You can do by land and air , it's the same

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No I mean when I decide to do the flagpole , I will be on implied status
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this.

Right now you are either out of status or you have implied status. This will be your status when you flagpole.

Did you submit a new work permit application or a visitor record application before your old work permit expired?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Strange , that's the first thing I hear that you can't do in the airport . You can do by land and air , it's the same
Not sure what you've been reading.

Flagpoling is only possible at a land border.

If you want to get a work permit at the airport, you must be arriving in Canada on an international flight. So if that's how you want to do it, you'd need fly out of Canada to an international destination and then return. This is not flagpoling. This is arriving on an international flight.

Reactions: Buletruck

zirakias

Jul 10, 2023
Right now I'm out of status since. My lawyer told me to decide what I want to do . If I want to reapply within Canada it's different application , if I want to do flagpole is another application , then they will start the procedure on implied status

zirakias

Jul 10, 2023
Not sure what you've been reading.

Flagpoling is only possible at a land border.

If you want to get a work permit at the airport, you must be arriving in Canada on an international flight. So if that's how you want to do it, you'd need fly out of Canada to an international destination and then return. This is not flagpoling. This is arriving on an international flight.
I apologize you are right , I'm planing to visit the us since my family lives there , and come back few days later

zirakias

Jul 10, 2023
With that said what are the chances of getting the approval ? Since I will have the positive lmia , and show history of working in Canada

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Right now I'm out of status since. My lawyer told me to decide what I want to do . If I want to reapply within Canada it's different application , if I want to do flagpole is another application , then they will start the procedure on implied status
I still don't get how you can suddenly be in implied status. Your WP application was refused. You can apply to restore as a visitor. (I believe) But until then you are out of status. You can only be on implied status if you apply for a visa/work permit while you still have valid status and it expires and you are waiting for the processing of that WP/visa.