+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA-Exempt Job (Post-Doctoral Researcher) and Job-Offer Points in Express Entry

sfmoosavian

May 31, 2019
Hi,

I am a postdoctoral researcher who started in January 2020. It is for two years. Now, I am applying for PR through Express Entry Program. I have submitted the form but I have not received the job offer point (arranged employment score = 0). The reason seems to be that post-doc is an LMIA-Exempt job. So, I was wondering whether there is a way for me to get the job offer point. If I even get the minimum score (50), my total score would be above 500 and I would be selected in the first draw.

I would appreciate any help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you are on a PGWP or open work permit, you are not eligible to count 50 points for a job offer. You need to be on a closed work permit so you need a LMIA.

sfmoosavian

May 31, 2019
If you are on a PGWP or open work permit, you are not eligible to count 50 points for a job offer. You need to be on a closed work permit so you need a LMIA.
Thank you very much for your reply. I have a closed work permit that specifically issued for this postdoc job. But a postdoc job is LMIA-exempt. Does this count as a job offer?

sfmoosavian

May 31, 2019
In another post you said you were on a PGWP. You can’t have both an open and closed permit. If on a closed permit, your job offer must state that you have job one year past receiving PR. Also even though LMIA exempt, it must meet the conditions in the link. If not, then you need a LMIA.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=697&top=29
I am not on PGWP, I just have it. I use the closed work permit for the postdoc job. There is another complication that this postdoc is actually in Quebec. So, I think there is no way I can get job-offer points.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am not on PGWP, I just have it. I use the closed work permit for the postdoc job. There is another complication that this postdoc is actually in Quebec. So, I think there is no way I can get job-offer points.
You never mentioned that you were in Quebec so you can't apply for EE if you intend to work and live in Quebec. You need to look at Immigration Quebec.

Reactions: sfmoosavian

sfmoosavian

May 31, 2019
You never mentioned that you were in Quebec so you can't apply for EE if you intend to work and live in Quebec. You need to look at Immigration Quebec.
Sorry, I was too vague in my original post. I am not intending to work or live in Quebec at all. I am just here to do the postdoc and then move to Ontario, of course, if I can.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry, I was too vague in my original post. I am not intending to work or live in Quebec at all. I am just here to do the postdoc and then move to Ontario, of course, if I can.
Ok but if your job is in Quebec and it is tied to your LMIA exempt permit, you can’t count the 50 points.