+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Canada permanently by constantly renewing Work Permit?

brentburns88

Dec 18, 2016
Say, if I have a job offer and if I get a Work Permit...
Will it be technically possible to live in Canada permanently by constantly renewing my Work Permit once it expires?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
brentburns88 said:
Will it be technically possible to live in Canada permanently by constantly renewing my Work Permit once it expires?
First what type of work permit ? With the new rule for temp workers abolishing the 4 in 4 out rule then technically someone could get an employer to renew but at some point immigration will refuse as that is not the intention to avoid applying for PR. Plus each application would be heavily scrutinised to assess if genuine or if playing the system else everyone would do it if was easy to exrtend indefintely.

brentburns88

Dec 18, 2016
Bs65 said:
First what type of work permit ? With the new rule for temp workers abolishing the 4 in 4 out rule then technically someone could get an employer to renew but at some point immigration will refuse as that is not the intention to avoid applying for PR. Plus each application would be heavily scrutinised to assess if genuine or if playing the system else everyone would do it if was easy to exrtend indefintely.
A usual one, not open permit.
So, it would be better to work for around 2-3 years and then apply for an Express Entry with additional bonus for work experience in Canada, right?

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Do whatever you can to get PR asap. I know UK Truck Drivers which used to live here in Ontario for 8 or more years. When Gov has changed the rules and forced 4in4out rule into use, they suddenly realized how stupid this idea was. They left. They have jad housed, cars etc. Probably very soon they'll be back but hopefully they will pick up different province.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
brentburns88 said:
Yes - technically possible until you retire.

brentburns88

Dec 18, 2016
Thank everyone for answers. Now I understand that it is possible, but not the best option.
So, it would be better to work with a permit for around 2-3 years and then apply for an Express Entry with additional bonus for work experience in Canada, right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
brentburns88 said:
Thank everyone for answers. Now I understand that it is possible, but not the best option.
So, it would be better to work with a permit for around 2-3 years and then apply for an Express Entry with additional bonus for work experience in Canada, right?
Yes.

Note that only work under NOCs that are skill level A, B or 0 qualifies as work experience in Canada.

brentburns88

Dec 18, 2016
scylla said:
Yes.

Note that only work under NOCs that are skill level A, B or 0 qualifies as work experience in Canada.
But if the "4 in 4 out" rule suddenly returns (government change, arbitrary decision etc.), won't I get kicked out of Canada after working for 2 years on permit and after this 2 years as a permanent resident?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
brentburns88 said:
But if the "4 in 4 out" rule suddenly returns (government change, arbitrary decision etc.), won't I get kicked out of Canada after working for 2 years on permit and after this 2 years as a permanent resident?
The four year rule only applied to temporary workers.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
brentburns88 said:
Technically it is possible, but every 2-3 years your employer will need to apply for LMIA and you will need to extend your WP based on that LMIA which is pretty much gamble game.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pfse said:
Technically it is possible, but every 2-3 years your employer will need to apply for LMIA and you will need to extend your WP based on that LMIA which is pretty much gamble game.
1, At some time HRSDC is going to refuse stating that the employer has had time to train a Canadian resident

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1, At some time HRSDC is going to refuse stating that the employer has had time to train a Canadian resident
Not something I personally would like to rely on having established a life in the country and relying on being able to extend a temp permit forever. Removing the 4 in 4 out rule sounds good but in practice but who could live with the uncertainty

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Additionally, the 4 out of 4 restriction had exemptions for NOC 0 or NOC A jobs.

But recently CIC seems to have eliminated that restriction

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/cumulative.asp

However, there is always the risk of restriction on renewal.

Also there are plenty of down sides. Try getting a mortgage or a credit card at a bank with a temp worker. As soon as they see a SIN starting with 9xx (temp resident), none of standard Canadian rules would apply to you e.g. they wont give you an unsecured credit card (unless there are very exceptional circumstances, even then, would approve very small limit).

If you are in BC, you would be liable to pay government 15% tax for purchasing a property (15% of net property value).

If you have children, you won't get child benefits for the first 1.5 years.

Your health card will always be issued till the expiry of current work permit and you probably wont get coverage during any implied status.

All in all, temp worker is not a status to be on if you wish to live here.